Super sharp and makes food prep a breeze

5158638_orig.jpg

Nice knife. How much?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice knife. How much?

beauty.

to anyone - interested in getting kitchen knives? I'm looking to sell my Sakai Takayuki wa-gyuto 210mm with damascus sanmai with a tsuchime finish, octagonal handles, saya and ......the best part is it comes with blonde buffalo horn, which is very difficult to get these days. The ones at razoredge are all black buffalo horn now. no sale right now but register your interest, I am only asking what I have in it. Easy to sharpen and takes a very sharp edge too.

Letting go and simplifying - maybe sell next month.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

almost pull the trigger for a 4max at last decided not too.
this folder really too larger for edc and if tio police spot check also hard time to explain. :o

Stevejobless

Reaction score
beauty.

to anyone - interested in getting kitchen knives? I'm looking to sell my Sakai Takayuki wa-gyuto 210mm with damascus sanmai with a tsuchime finish, octagonal handles, saya and ......the best part is it comes with blonde buffalo horn, which is very difficult to get these days. The ones at razoredge are all black buffalo horn now. no sale right now but register your interest, I am only asking what I have in it. Easy to sharpen and takes a very sharp edge too.

Letting go and simplifying - maybe sell next month.

Pics and price? I do like blonde buffalo horn.

Stevejobless

Reaction score
For an inexpensive kitchen knife, Atlantic Chef 8" works pretty good for the price. The edge is the sharpest I have seen on a factory knife out of the box. I am surprised when it sliced toiler paper. Nice grippy handle and nicely ground blade in German steel. Similar to the Victorinox fibrox at a lower price.

32001688693_cf0fa37898_z.jpg

32415221780_627725422d_z.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
For an inexpensive kitchen knife, Atlantic Chef 8" works pretty good for the price. The edge is the sharpest I have seen on a factory knife out of the box. I am surprised when it sliced toiler paper. Nice grippy handle and nicely ground blade in German steel. Similar to the Victorinox fibrox at a lower price.

32001688693_cf0fa37898_z.jpg

32415221780_627725422d_z.jpg

I'm looking for a cheapo knife to do deboning and rough chopping and for lending out. Where do I find it and how much?

ps: ribeeye looks good - USDA prime? =:p

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheapo knife to do deboning and rough chopping and for lending out. Where do I find it and how much?

Basic models made by Kai are rather decent. Made in Japan and not too expensive.
1325N%20530x600.jpg

Kai also make a higher range models under the "Shun" branding
BC-1298%20-%203%20530%20x%20600.jpg

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score

You can find a range of Atlantic Chef knives at Tott Suntec. They have all kinds including western full tang forged chef knives to Japanese style knives with traditional handles. The Efficient chef knife I am using may be a little too fine at the edge for hard use and chopping. I would recommend to take a look at their Japanese Deba knife. It has a thicker geometry for hard use.

https://www.tottstore.com/traditional-deba-knife.html

I cannot find better made knives at that kind of price. A friend of mine has their Yanagi sushi knife and was very happy with it. Also hair popping sharp out of the box.

That meat is Japanese A4 wagyu striploin. Too fatty to eat all 250g in one go so I halved it. Yes I know I should have used a wa gyuto slice it. Just had the last of it this evening. It was tender and melt in your mouth. :D But I prefer USDA prime Angus ribeye for the money.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yums. From foodie market place or mmmm? Ya Wagyu ribeye can be overpoweringly fatty. I like my Wagyu in small BBQ slices, just a little indulgence is enough, can afford more either hahaha!

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yums. From foodie market place or mmmm? Ya Wagyu ribeye can be overpoweringly fatty. I like my Wagyu in small BBQ slices, just a little indulgence is enough, can afford more either hahaha!

For those staying in the east, there is a place in tanjong katong area where they stock a good variety of quality meats. I always get my meat here. U can msg them in advanced u need any special processing (e.g. marination, sous vide)

They provide sous vide service. So tell them the temperature and time u need. U just need to collect them, go back and sear it slightly and they r ready for eating

https://m.facebook.com/meatcollectivesg/

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Kagoshima wagyu was from mmmm novena.

Meat collective as suggested by hawthorne has good price on their usda prime. I also like the australian wagyu ribeye from hubers

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
For those staying in the east, there is a place in tanjong katong area where they stock a good variety of quality meats. I always get my meat here. U can msg them in advanced u need any special processing (e.g. marination, sous vide)

They provide sous vide service. So tell them the temperature and time u need. U just need to collect them, go back and sear it slightly and they r ready for eating

https://m.facebook.com/meatcollectivesg/

oooooo......I just saw the price of the USDA prime. time for a quick ride this evening.

however, I prefer striploin to ribeye, with the strip, I don't have that middle lump of fat, which I don't eat anyway, but I can still leave a little fat on....do they have USDA prime strip?

I don't know about sous vide - it's too fancy schmancy hipster thing. I will just slap the meat on the grill or pan and watch it cook to MR. no need to wait 1-4 hours.

do you know where I can find cheap (french) escargot by the 1kg bag? no shells needed.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
however, I prefer striploin to ribeye, with the strip, I don't have that middle lump of fat, which I don't eat anyway, but I can still leave a little fat on....do they have USDA prime strip?

U can msg them to ask. They usually reply very promptly.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
U can msg them to ask. They usually reply very promptly.

thanks, they don't. sigh, I am tempted to visit my old neighbourhood of marine parade-joo chiat-tg katong, if only prices didn't escalate so that it is now a playground for only the rich, well-to-do and expatriate/foreigner community. still worth the scooter ride there...

:s22:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Pics and price? I do like blonde buffalo horn.

Here are some pics for you or anyone who is interested. It's a 210mm gyuto with a 50/50 edge. I like 210 or even 180 as I do not have large countertop space nor do I cut big objects. I will need to search my original receipt if I can find it, I did get it locally and I will ask for what I paid for it =:p. FYI, Blonde buffalo horn is harder to find, in fact, all the latest sakai takayuki at razorsharp only come in black buffalo horn, and I know for a fact that even sukenari has trouble sourcing it.

Won't be selling so soon though, as I will need to find a replacement first (a cheaper one :)). I love using this knife, it's really user friendly, easy to sharpen, takes a really sharp edge and holds it decently (of course, nothing like blue steel or zdp). I believe it's AEB-L core with a suminagashi pattern stainless cladding. The saya needs a pin tho, all these japanese sayas loosen in our climate.

I may do a bundled deal with my Naniwa green brick of joy stone (#2000) which really is a fantastic stone (better feedback than Naniwa superstone) - costs $100 and it's a huge heavy stone that will take you maybe 2 lifetimes to whittle it to nothing :)

Anyways, enough talking...

IMG_9601_zpsdjllawzp.jpg

IMG_9603_zpszn5ac7d6.jpg

IMG_9604_zpsxlfizhae.jpg

And a bonus knife pic....

IMG_9595_zpscgkqz6b3.jpg

Last edited:

Stevejobless

Reaction score
Here are some pics for you or anyone who is interested. It's a 210mm gyuto with a 50/50 edge. I like 210 or even 180 as I do not have large countertop space nor do I cut big objects. I will need to search my original receipt if I can find it, I did get it locally and I will ask for what I paid for it =:p. FYI, Blonde buffalo horn is harder to find, in fact, all the latest sakai takayuki at razorsharp only come in black buffalo horn, and I know for a fact that even sukenari has trouble sourcing it.

Won't be selling so soon though, as I will need to find a replacement first (a cheaper one :)). I love using this knife, it's really user friendly, easy to sharpen, takes a really sharp edge and holds it decently (of course, nothing like blue steel or zdp). I believe it's AEB-L core with a suminagashi pattern stainless cladding. The saya needs a pin tho, all these japanese sayas loosen in our climate.

I may do a bundled deal with my Naniwa green brick of joy stone (#2000) which really is a fantastic stone (better feedback than Naniwa superstone) - costs $100 and it's a huge heavy stone that will take you maybe 2 lifetimes to whittle it to nothing :)

Anyways, enough talking...

IMG_9601_zpsdjllawzp.jpg

IMG_9603_zpszn5ac7d6.jpg

IMG_9604_zpsxlfizhae.jpg

And a bonus knife pic....

IMG_9595_zpscgkqz6b3.jpg

Its a beauty. What is AEBL?

Your noodle also look very tempting.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Its a beauty. What is AEBL?

Your noodle also look very tempting.

AEB-L steel - a Uddeholm steel. Proper heat treat is the key to maximising the value of this steel. Many used to pooh-pooh this steel, but now better makers are using this steel and pushing the heat treat to 61-62RC. It is a low carbide steel so can achieve high sharpness and easy to sharpen. Somewhat like VG10 I think - it's not a super steel but for the kitchen, it's great as I like to sharpen my kitchen knives as they are thin and you get good results from a waterstone.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=aeb-l

Noodle is from my #adventuresupnorth you can follow me on IG if you're so inclined :) just some musings, rants, thoughts from an old man on a scooter :s13: @scootermanandfren

and thank you and hawthorne for the meatcollective tip - Uncle vespa just bought himself some skirt steak to grill tomorrow (I had trouble looking for the $3.50 chicken chop at Katong Shopping Centre so went to an old school hae mee haunt of mine at dunman). Everything has truly changed at Katong - it appears more westerner-populated now.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.