Cost of raising kids can be dramatically lowered by not sending kids to tuition

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think tuition is largely a waste of money. Why force the kid to go on extra studies to study what is already taught in school? Let him have some spare time for creativity. Pick up some hobbies and who knows? Many entrepreneurs start off with their hobbies. Nobody get entrepreneurial ideas from doing ten-year series.

Tuition does not add much value. It is a big waste of money in Singapore's economy. Tutors of course will say otherwise since it affects their pockets. Sure, tutors may raise the kids' chance of getting Grade A. But do those Grade As really matter in the larger scheme of life? If tuition matters, the older generation grew up without tuition and Singapore's economy grew much faster during their time.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I share your sentiments, but having tuition and extra is like giving your child a headstart in life, acquiring additional skills/talents before moving off to serious studying.

It can be a double edged sword, or it can be a done-without thingie. If the child's weekend is packed 11am-8pm with classes, then it defeats the purpose.

Have seen friends send kids to class, wait, then pick up then send to another, then another then another, whole day is being ahmad.

:s13: I simply don't understand where's the childhood for the kid.

precipice65

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kids nowadays not only go for tuition.

they learn cycling, ballet, guitar, piano, swimming......

they have everything i can only dream of when i was a kid.

the list goes on and on.

DarthKool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now even parents enroll themselves to the same tuition :s13:

ST_20170215_CYPARENTS15_2942466.jpg

see the tutor huat until smile so big

coldish

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tuition is just a small percentage compared to the raising costs of a child over e 10" 20 years.

shizuka_b

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Swimming yes lah, because can save themselves.

Ballet, music all these useless unless they are exceptionally talented.

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Back in my day, only the beh kan beh tak chek kids required tuition.

Hi Dr Nachtsider,

Good to have you here. You and your wife are doctors. Do both of you have any tuition? Among your network which should consist of mostly successful people, do they have tuition? Do you see a correlation between tuition and success in life?

RedEyesFan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We can solve this by going back to the bases on why the education is good and the purpose of the building commonly known as "school".

Mao won because he use art instead of words which the peasants can't read.
By allowing people to learn to read, they can just use black and white words only.:s13:

Soracak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Becoz teachers these days dun teach properly. 2 main reasons:

1. Moe sets new teaching directives 少教多学. Meaning teach less learn more. The hope is to encourage teaching to be less rigid and academic but the reverse is true.

2. Teachers teach less in class cos most kids already learnt the material in their own private tuition. Those in elite learning labs probably knows more than the teachers.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time when my math was bad, my parents sent me to tuition, but it didn't last very long because we were financially poor. In the end my dad spent more time with me to teach me himself and i got A* in PSLE for math

clementiboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just from TS post i can tell TS no kids, and likely, not married as well.

kids going to tuition at very young age is a sad reality of life here.

you can always choose not to follow the other parents loh.

do gibe your opinions to the parents over at kiasuparents okay ;)

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just from TS post i can tell TS no kids, and likely, not married as well.

kids going to tuition at very young age is a sad reality of life here.

you can always choose not to follow the other parents loh.

do gibe your opinions to the parents over at kiasuparents okay ;)
Say is easy. Imagine your kid comes home, asks you "Why my friends all go tuition on weekend, I don't have? You don't love me?"

You bang balls lo... :s13:

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Becoz teachers these days dun teach properly. 2 main reasons:

1. Moe sets new teaching directives 少教多学. Meaning teach less learn more. The hope is to encourage teaching to be less rigid and academic but the reverse is true.

2. Teachers teach less in class cos most kids already learnt the material in their own private tuition. Those in elite learning labs probably knows more than the teachers.
Actually is they don't teach the problem solving, they teach the solving DIRECT to the specific question, not as a whole, so children have difficulties solving similar questions worded differently.

Also the choice of language, style and writing also affects understanding, which I find those absurd questions really absurd beyond words. :s22:

blackbaron76

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I was growing up, you only sent kids for tuition in subjects they were weak in, not EVERY other subject.

Thank god my parents pretty much left me to do my own tinkering and learning, probably learnt more that way than through tuition.

danny8x8

Banned
Reaction score
Too much to learn. Too little time to teach.

Kids progress/mature at different rates. Topics too advanced. You can teach the same maths topic again and again, using different models/methods, they still won't understand. Then suddenly, one fine day, they'll know how to do it without any explanation.

Sent from Samsung GT-P6200 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.