Tablet that is suitable for reading ebooks?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can recommend?

Quite tired, sianz with my current Kindle, slow to flip, or to search for a specific page.

Need something 6", light, cheap, haha

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There isn't anything in the 6" space which is basically a tablet and light. They're all huge phones and pretty heavy compared to a Kindle. If you're still looking... try the Lenovo Phab... pretty expensive... $300+. You need high resolution and light weight... quite difficult to find...

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are phone..
Xaiomi Mi Max
Lenovo Phab
Sony Xperia Z (yes..the grandfather of > 6")

Tablet
Amazon Fire
Xperia Z3 tablet compact (light weight)

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The phones are much heavier than the Kindle. And the tablets are much larger than the Kindle?

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally if for reading & nothing else, E-ink like kindle or such is still better fr the eyes at long stretch.

RocketBunny

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can recommend?

Quite tired, sianz with my current Kindle, slow to flip, or to search for a specific page.

Need something 6", light, cheap, haha

the new kindles are faster:s13: im using the voyage
not as laggy as old ones

shin01chan

Reaction score
Sorry may I interrupt. Where to download the books for kindle. I got the books downloaded when I first purchased from the vendors. After that, no more source to download books. I thought I can sign up for the unlimited from Amazon, but was denied.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need 6 inch, get Xiaomi Mi Max. I think it is a very powerful phone for its price and can easily be used as a tablet.

However, one of the benefit with E-book readers is the e-ink screen. Having used it for awhile, I do feel that it is much better than reading on a phone or tablet.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need 6 inch, get Xiaomi Mi Max. I think it is a very powerful phone for its price and can easily be used as a tablet.

However, one of the benefit with E-book readers is the e-ink screen. Having used it for awhile, I do feel that it is much better than reading on a phone or tablet.

Hey, watzup_ken... can you share your experience of e-ink screen ebook. How much is the difference/where is the difference? What screen size is ideal?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The screen is the selling point. However, it's a love hate relationship for me. Text displayed on E-ink screens look like someone just wrote it on the screen. It's got no glare, so you don't feel so tired after reading for some time. However, most e-reader only display black and white, so it's mainly for reading text. Also, they are also very slow, which fortunately is still bearable just for reading and for fantastic battery life. One charge could last you for weeks, depending on how heavy you use it. Most if not all ebooks are 7 inch, based on my observation.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The screen is the selling point. However, it's a love hate relationship for me. Text displayed on E-ink screens look like someone just wrote it on the screen. It's got no glare, so you don't feel so tired after reading for some time. However, most e-reader only display black and white, so it's mainly for reading text. Also, they are also very slow, which fortunately is still bearable just for reading and for fantastic battery life. One charge could last you for weeks, depending on how heavy you use it. Most if not all ebooks are 7 inch, based on my observation.

Hey, thks.

Do you happen to use recent e-reader?

I read newer kindle's cost more, comes with higher screen resolution known as Kindle Paper White 3, some even backlighted. Do you think i should be bothered-with or just older version is good enough?

b0h3mian_summer

Reaction score
I have the Kindle Paperwhite 2 for epub, and a Samsung Tab S2 8" for anything else.

I read via the kindle before I sleep, reduce glare and all. Mainly no pictures books, novels and non fiction. Battery lasts forever.

The Tab s2 is for PDFs, my online newspapers subsections, pocket and flip board. It functions as a video player as well.

IMO, for me I don't need a catch all device. The kindle is so light and sturdy, I tend to bring it around. Ymmv

rookie121

Reaction score
I have 3 Kindle. E ink screen got no glare, so comfortable to read.
Battery life measure in weeks.Power is consumed only when page is turn. This allows me to fall asleep while reading. Then continue next morning when I wake up.
I only use tablet to read magazine which contains color photos or pictures.
I had use galaxy tab 10, tab S & tab active. But none of them offer a better experience.

Last edited:

suffuse

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to get an ebook reader. Would like to find out which ereader would be suitable for me.

I am using to reading on my bed using my handphone without any lights on(on night mode, black screen with white words). My books are using in txt format. It would be the better if it is waterproof.

I was researching online and there are quite a few website which says that Kobo Aura is quite good, anyone use it before?

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After reading comment on here, and hands-on actual Kindle sizing, follow-up reviews on few e-book makers such as Kobo, Nook, Sony, PocketBook, Onyx Boox...

My thoughts are:
0# Pace of e-book devices evolution is slow compare to tablets, pricey even for simple - yesterday technology (and device ends-up much larger than its tiny screen).
Only + pts is lighter than tablets.

1# Kindle Paperwhite 3 current having best screen, though 6 inch screen is kinda of small for me. (which is basically the screen-size of Kindles)

2# Kindle, Kobo, Nook... all uses different closed OS system book ecology, to lock you down to use only their book-resource library.

3# Only few e-books are larger than 6 inch, beyond 8 inch the device size seems rather too large for commuting reading and pricey.

So in the end, gotten a Onyx Boox T68ML:
- 6.8 inch - >30% screen space of 6 inch, yet right-size for 1 hand reading during commuting.

- based on Android OS access to Google Play allow cross access to multiple book ecology Kindle, Kobo, etc bookstores. Also support 3rd party e-book format reading.

-Sufficient high resolution dpi, almost as good KPW3, with back-lited.

- Can use MicroSD as expanable storage - upto 32GB.

For Android, get device with at least 1GB Memory, 8GB storage :for App speed, install apps & books storage, 300 dpi. If cost not a issue: I would bought a T76 plus.

Last edited:

suffuse

Reaction score
After reading comment on here, and hands-on actual Kindle sizing, follow-up reviews on few e-book makers such as Kobo, Nook, Sony, PocketBook, Onyx Boox...

My thoughts are:
0# Pace of e-book devices evolution is slow compare to tablets, pricey even for simple - yesterday technology (and device ends-up much larger than its tiny screen).

1# Kindle Paperwhite 3 current having best screen, though 6 inch screen is kinda of small for me. (which is basically the screen-size of Kindles)

2# Kindle, Kobo, Nook... all uses different closed OS system book ecology, to lock you down to use only their book-resource library.

3# Only few e-books are larger than 6 inch, beyond 8 inch the device size seems rather too large for commuting reading and pricey.

- 6.8 inch - >30% screen space of 6 inch, yet right-size for 1 hand reading during commuting.

- based on Android OS access to Google Play allow cross access to multiple book ecology Kindle, Kobo, etc bookstores. Also support 3rd party e-book format reading.

For Android, get device with at least 1GB Memory, 8GB storage :for App speed, install apps & books storage, 300 dpi. If cost not a issue: I would bought a T76 plus.

Thank you so much for the recommendation :D

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought a alcatel pixi 6" to ise as ebook reader, so far so good. Got it from qoo10 for ard 110. Im happy with it. Battery not as lasting, glaribg all this not concern to me.

Initially wanted xiaomi mi max coz of the 6.4" screen sizebut even the lowest spec model will cost more than 200. No point.

WhyPayMore

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My thoughts are:

Where do you buy the onyx boox?

Sent from Asus ASUS_Z010D using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.