Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, we can use our existing Starhub prepaid sim cards to data roam, right?

yes, just buy their dataplan, pay for the required period and data volume, turn on data roaming when u are in JP, that simple.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why dun just buy unlimited data sim card from qoo10? Is cheaper too.

LittleSnow

Reaction score
Hi can anyone explain to me about Japan trains?
I'm so confused with all the trains they have in Japan.
I am trying to see if I should purchase a concession pass for the trains in Japan. But I can't seem to understand what trains the concession pass is covering.

What is JR trains?
What is the difference between Metros and Subways?
What is IC? Issit like MRT cards? If i purchase the IC, can I also use it at Osaka?

So for stations like shibuya, akihabara (those are taken by Metro trains right? Or are they taken by JR trains?)
Then what about the train they have in Osaka? What is the name of the train there?
Also... Like travelling from major cities (Tokyo to Osaka to Nara) is take a JR train right?

Sorrrryyyyy =[ I just have too many things that I don't understand. I tried to research.. But the more I read, the more new things I see, the more I get confused...

autumm

Master Member
Reaction score
I am traveling from Kyoto station to odawara then next day odawara to shinjuju.

Can I book both JR tickets at Kyoto station itself? Anyone knows if they accept credit card? Thanks

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am traveling from Kyoto station to odawara then next day odawara to shinjuju.

Can I book both JR tickets at Kyoto station itself? Anyone knows if they accept credit card? Thanks

Any JR Station, you are able to purchase ticket as long as they got a Ticket counter.
Credit card i saw people using before. But not sure about Singapore credit card.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am trying to see if I should purchase a concession pass for the trains in Japan. But I can't seem to understand what trains the concession pass is covering.

What is JR trains?
What is IC? Issit like MRT cards? If i purchase the IC, can I also use it at Osaka?

So for stations like shibuya, akihabara (those are taken by Metro trains right? Or are they taken by JR trains?)
Then what about the train they have in Osaka? What is the name of the train there?
Also... Like travelling from major cities (Tokyo to Osaka to Nara) is take a JR train right?

Sorrrryyyyy =[ I just have too many things that I don't understand. I tried to research.. But the more I read, the more new things I see, the more I get confused...

In Japan, there are many different companies operating different lines especially in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka. Within those city, what you require is IC Card similar to our EZ Link. There are many different IC Cards by different companies like JR East, West, Metro etc. But most of them will work with each other. Easily is you buy a Suica in Tokyo JR Station.

Travelling long distance is different like Tokyo to Osaka. Long distance cannot use IC Card so u need to purchase physical ticket. Normally long distance also quite expensive, most people also not enough money in their IC Card.

For Tokyo to Osaka, You will travel by Shinkansen which require physical ticket.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What is JR trains?

You don't need to know all the train companies/lines. Just decide where you want to go to and from where, then use hyperdia to check the suggested routes. In it they will list the train lines. You can tell if they are private trains or JR.

As other suggested, just use SUICA(or ICOCA if you buy an IC CARD in Osaka) for max convenience.

Passes are useful if you are sure you are taking the lines covered by the pass. One private lines oriented pass example is the Kansai Through Pass. It covers almost every private lines running in the Kansai area.

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html

Also, it depends on your itinerary and usage, doesn't mean every pass will surely save you money. Use Hyperdia to see if the cost of pass is lower than the sum of your single trip tickets or not.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JR is the traditional trains like the one that commutes between sg and my. Metro is the mrt that commutes within a city.

JR can bring you within the city and between cities. Metro are only within the cities.

Sg so small also has 2 mrt companies. Japan so big so they will have a lot more mrt/metro companies and also railways.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need help on rail. actually planning to get JR pass for my trip but realised that my return flight would be too early for a JR pass train Hikari.

On return day my flight is at 1030am at haneda and i will be traveling from osaka. will not make it from Hikari first train, so can only take JR nozomi which is not covered in JR. therefore planning to buy single tix instead

Traveling to following places so would like to see if there is any day pass for maybe tokyo etc that will be worthwhile since now i am not using JR pass.

Narita -> tokyo (stay) -> kyoto (stay) -> osaka (stay) -> haneda

- Narita to Tokyo
will be taking JR sobu 1320yen

- Tokyo (shinjuku) to Kyoto
from hyperdia including those connecting sub and via nozomi (unreserved seat) 13,080yen

- Kyoto to Osaka
800 yen

- Osaka (Namba) to Haneda
first train 6am and target to reach haneda ard 9am via nozomi (unreserved seat) 14,310 yen

would i be able to buy shinkansen tix online in advance or i can only buy at the station and is advance buying possible at the station? for example, buying my osaka to tokyo return nozomi reserved tix first?

Last edited:

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need help on rail. actually planning to get JR pass for my trip but realised that my return flight would be too early for a JR pass train Hikari.

On return day my flight is at 1030am at haneda and i will be traveling from osaka. will not make it from Hikari first train, so can only take JR nozomi which is not covered in JR. therefore planning to buy single tix instead

Traveling to following places so would like to see if there is any day pass for maybe tokyo etc that will be worthwhile since now i am not using JR pass.

- Narita to Tokyo

from hyperdia including those connecting sub and via nozomi (unreserved seat) 13,080yen

- Kyoto to Osaka
800 yen

first train 6am and target to reach haneda ard 9am via nozomi (unreserved seat) 14,310 yen

would i be able to buy shinkansen tix online in advance or i can only buy at the station and is advance buying possible at the station? for example, buying my osaka to tokyo return nozomi reserved tix first?

looks risky. flight 10:30am, u reach airport 9am. If unlucky u miss any connection train :eek: then your plan will be disrupted.
My estimation u need switch train Shinkansen->Yamanote -> Monorail or Shinkansen->Keiyu Main Line->Keiyu airport line
If weekday, u will clash with peak hour Yamanote traffic 8am plus. Super super risky.
My suggestion, get back to Tokyo one day prior.

Nozomi, u can buy in advance at any ticket counter. For Train Ticket, maximum is one month advance.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks risky. flight 10:30am, u reach airport 9am. If unlucky u miss any connection train :eek: then your plan will be disrupted.
My estimation u need switch train Shinkansen->Yamanote -> Monorail or Shinkansen->Keiyu Main Line->Keiyu airport line
If weekday, u will clash with peak hour Yamanote traffic 8am plus. Super super risky.
My suggestion, get back to Tokyo one day prior.

Nozomi, u can buy in advance at any ticket counter. For Train Ticket, maximum is one month advance.

thanks for your suggestion!
hmmm the route is :

Namba subway -> Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line (14mins) -> Shin-Osaka 545am -> 6am Shinkansen -> 819am Shinagawa -> 833am Keikyu Airport Exp for HANEDA AIRPORT -> 854am

its my first time so i am not sure how does a jap mrt and train works. does missing a connecting mrt or train means the nxt one will be very far apart?

like sg if we miss 1 mrt, the next train would probably come in 6mins. is japan much different?

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm the route is :

Namba subway -> Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line (14mins) -> Shin-Osaka 545am -> 6am Shinkansen -> 819am Shinagawa -> 833am Keikyu Airport Exp for HANEDA AIRPORT -> 854am

its my first time so i am not sure how does a jap mrt and train works. does missing a connecting mrt or train means the nxt one will be very far apart?

like sg if we miss 1 mrt, the next train would probably come in 6mins. is japan much different?

I use hyperdia to look at your ideal route. 5:31am start at Namba subway, the frequency of that is 10mins one train.

You cannot miss that 5:31 or else u likely will not make it in time for the Shinkansen Nozomi 202. u got 18 mins transfer at Shin Osaka station. Should be fine but u need to be extremely savvy at navigating the station.

Shin Osaka is not a small station. I went there last week and walking from subway to shinakansen is not that fast.
Last year i stayed at Shin Osaka nearby i still remembered this station is a bit weird because in the morning they shut off certain parts of the station because those shops not opened. Accessibility is very very poor in the morning due to that. I was trying to catch the first shinkansen out of the station to Okayama then. I nearly got lost and was a bit panicky trying to find entrance. U need to get very careful.

Once u reach Shinagawa, u got 13 mins to make transfer from JR Shinkansen portion to Keikyu. If weekday Shinagawa will be bit crowded since they trying to make Shinagawa their new CBD. The direct train to Haneda is running at frequency of 10mins.

Overall, still a bit risky. Got two land mines for you to trip at Shin Osaka and Shinagawa.

I still recommend if you are not confident, to return to Tokyo one day earlier at stay near airport like nearby Hamamatsucho.
Another method, u should buy open jaw ticket. Fly out of KIX. Can take Haruka to KIX.

Last edited:

crntbs

Reaction score

- Narita to Tokyo

- Kyoto to Osaka
800 yen

How about changing your itenaries to travel to osaka/kyoto first?

Another suggestion would be taking overnight bus or domestic flight.

Personally, i would avoid train. Too much of a hassle to drag lugguage ard especially with so many xfers and lugguage will be heavier with suveniors and etc.

symbiote28

Reaction score
i'm going to japan on 21st March but haven't really decided what to bring with me in terms of luggage / backpack wise.

i'm bringing a camera backpack which will always be on me. as for my stuffs, still undecided if i wanna bring a backpackers backpack or a cabin luggage. going there for 16 days. having this dilemma now as i've heard and read that luggages in trains can be something of a hassle. i'm going to 4 cities so plenty of travelling around.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Please don't compare Japan train schedules with sg ones. Totally heaven and earth.

They've got a strict train schedule even for normal subways. Their trains arrive true to the minute in their timetable. Please use hyperdia to check next train timings while planning for backup plans in case you missed the train you want to take. Dont assume "next train in 6 minutes". Only SEA countries work like this.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm the route is :

anyhowsaysay is right. You have be very punctual. It does come on time!

Shin Osaka station is very big. For the first timer, it is difficult to navigate than Shinagawa station, which is also big.

If you arrive shin-Osaka station, 30 mins gap is sufficient for you to navigate assuming that you got shinkansen tickets.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually I kiasi, I would familiarise myself by rehersing the routes to the platform, checking out on loactions of lift and their maintenance schedule before an important journey eg to airport. But ts has no luxury of time.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

- Narita to Tokyo

- Kyoto to Osaka
800 yen

Personally I would prefer to head out to Kyoto/Osaka first and end the trip with the last few days in Tokyo..not gonna risk it with a flight ahead..

That's what I did for my trip in 2015 and even my Taiwan trip last time..

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks all for the feedback, i did some miscalculation when i book my flight. I could actually book arrival at Narita and departure with a connection flight from KIX to Haneda then back to SG.

But weeks after when i actual book i actually choose the one without the connection KIX to Haneda. called them to ask if i can still include the connecting flight with topup.. they said cannot. If i were to buy a single tix for the KIX/Haneda it will be much much more exp than if it was included in the full return trip price.

i had already book all my hotel so it is hard to change the sequence to visit kyoto/osaka first then tokyo.

i guess the next best thing is to see if i can go familiar myself with shin osaka station layout and shinagawa like you all pointed is risky point.

or to see if i can cancel my last night osaka hotel and travel back tokyo for for last nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.