Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvados

Reaction score
7pm. Just take train starting from 8pm onwards. Toei's Asakusa Line-Keikyu's Line is not so crowded because of high frequency train.

When I took this line at Higashi-Ginza station, it alternate Asakusa Line train and Asakusa Line-Keikyu's line.

When you are at Shingakuji, you have one clear straight line on Keikyu's line.

I never took moonrail before.

These are for your idea on how you can expect.

Okay, I just would not want to get myself lost you see. While the keikyu pass seems decent, I read that the tokyo metro lines station hardly have any english signages and you have to concentrate on listening to the broadcast that you arrived at the right station..

Around 6-8pm yamanote can be quite packed regardless weekday or weekend. I was thinking for next trip I'll take the limousine bus. Pro is don't have to struggle with luggage and transfer isn't needed. Cost is higher but it's only a few hundred yen a person so not that bad.

Ah okay, I was planning to buy the Tokyo 1-Day Pass (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html), I don't time I reserved the seats? and all the way to Shinagawa and change to Keikyu and all the way to Haneda airport.

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks all for the feedback, i did some miscalculation when i book my flight. I could actually book arrival at Narita and departure with a connection flight from KIX to Haneda then back to SG.

But weeks after when i actual book i actually choose the one without the connection KIX to Haneda. called them to ask if i can still include the connecting flight with topup.. they said cannot. If i were to buy a single tix for the KIX/Haneda it will be much much more exp than if it was included in the full return trip price.

i had already book all my hotel so it is hard to change the sequence to visit kyoto/osaka first then tokyo.

i guess the next best thing is to see if i can go familiar myself with shin osaka station layout and shinagawa like you all pointed is risky point.

or to see if i can cancel my last night osaka hotel and travel back tokyo for for last nite.

Shingawa station is easy to transfer due to proper signboard and layout. It is shin osaka. It is more difficult to navigate in shin osaka.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just would not want to get myself lost you see. While the keikyu pass seems decent, I read that the tokyo metro lines station hardly have any english signages and you have to concentrate on listening to the broadcast that you arrived at the right station..

Ah okay, I was planning to buy the Tokyo 1-Day Pass (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html), I don't time I reserved the seats? and all the way to Shinagawa and change to Keikyu and all the way to Haneda airport.

Not true. All tokyo stations have English signboards unlike rural areas.

No reservation required because it is mrt style unlike shinkansen.

Haneda? Only one terminal. It is Haneda international airport. Avoid Haneda domestic airport

Last edited:

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm going to japan on 21st March but haven't really decided what to bring with me in terms of luggage / backpack wise.

i'm bringing a camera backpack which will always be on me. as for my stuffs, still undecided if i wanna bring a backpackers backpack or a cabin luggage. going there for 16 days. having this dilemma now as i've heard and read that luggages in trains can be something of a hassle. i'm going to 4 cities so plenty of travelling around.
What I did in my last 2 trips was either book business hotels that have laundromat, or book airbnb that has washing machine / dryer. that way can pack light(er) and wash clothes few times during the trip.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw when buying shinkansen tix.. will i be able to pay via credit card or only cash? if need cash then i better bring more cash for my 2 shinkansen tix..

since now i am not using JR pass. then i believe SUICA will be enough right? or is there any cost saving for using tokyo day pass etc?

will be in tokyo for 5 days and few place that i confirm want to see is senso-ji, odaiba, skytree, tokyo tower, tsukji fish market, shibuya, harajuku, ginza.

do not have a specific place in mind but might have other interesting place near these places that can ad hoc visit.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw when buying shinkansen tix.. will i be able to pay via credit card or only cash? if need cash then i better bring more cash for my 2 shinkansen tix..

since now i am not using JR pass. then i believe SUICA will be enough right? or is there any cost saving for using tokyo day pass etc?

will be in tokyo for 5 days and few place that i confirm want to see is senso-ji, odaiba, skytree, tokyo tower, tsukji fish market, shibuya, harajuku, ginza.

do not have a specific place in mind but might have other interesting place near these places that can ad hoc visit.

You can pay by CC if you buy it at JR Travel Service Centre.

symbiote28

Reaction score
What I did in my last 2 trips was either book business hotels that have laundromat, or book airbnb that has washing machine / dryer. that way can pack light(er) and wash clothes few times during the trip.

3 of 4 of my accoms have washer/dryer so i will be packing light too. guess i need to find a cabin luggage. the one i have is about 24" and it's too big for my liking as i'm more of a backpack person.

daranic

Reaction score
My flight out of Tokyo is scheduled for 12.05am. If I stay my last night at Kawaguchiko, then leave from there say about late afternoon/early evening for Haneda Airport, is it safe to make it to the airport by 9-10pm to check in?

Or should I return to Tokyo for the last night and head to Haneda Airport from there? Problem is the hotel I am looking at only allow luggage to be stored with them till 3pm, after which it is chargeable at 1000yen for 1 hr per piece of luggage. If I get a locker is it chargeable by the hour or per usage?

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My flight out of Tokyo is scheduled for 12.05am. If I stay my late night at Kawaguchiko, then leave from there say about late afternoon/early evening for Haneda Airport, is it safe to make it to the airport by 9-10pm to check in?

Or should I return to Tokyo for the last night and head to Haneda Airport from there? Problem is the hotel I am looking at only allow luggage to be stored with them till 3pm, after which it is chargeable at 1000yen for hr per piece of luggage. If I get a locker is it chargeable by the hour or per usage?

better to return to Tokyo for the last night.
If you get a locker at the station, its charged by per usage.
How big is ur luggage size?

melvados

Reaction score
Not true. All tokyo stations have English signboards unlike rural areas.

No reservation required because it is mrt style unlike shinkansen.

Haneda? Only one terminal. It is Haneda international airport. Avoid Haneda domestic airport

I mean to say if I buy that 1 day Tokyo Pass, as it allows me to ride the Shinkansen, can I still reserve seats?

Right now, I am weighing which pass should I get - this 1-Day Tokyo Pass or KeiKyu Tokyo 1-Day pass...

By the way, I am planning to go for Tokyo SkyTree. Is it worth getting the Floor 350+450 combo (I am seeing it under the 'Fast SkyTree Ticket for international visitors section)?
Also generally, is the waiting time very long?

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mean to say if I buy that 1 day Tokyo Pass, as it allows me to ride the Shinkansen, can I still reserve seats?

Right now, I am weighing which pass should I get - this 1-Day Tokyo Pass or KeiKyu Tokyo 1-Day pass...

By the way, I am planning to go for Tokyo SkyTree. Is it worth getting the Floor 350+450 combo (I am seeing it under the 'Fast SkyTree Ticket for international visitors section)?

They are not for Shinkansen but for their local subways only (check their coverage includes the places you intend to go or not).

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html
http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_tokyotravel.html

Are you a fan for high altitude observation deck? If so, go for it. You can also make your decision basing on the hour's weather condition. If its cloudy, then no point, not even worth going to the lower deck as you wont see much but mist and cloud. My 2c

What is your destination that you are planning to travel to on Shinkansen?

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There is no shinkansen for you to travel around Tokyo. Shinkansen is available only if you use it to move from one region to another region.

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway and JR are the largest train network in Tokyo. Keikyu line is quite limited.

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway is best choice because it has most numbers of station in Tokyo. It bring you to Tokyo Skytree.

I never use Fast SkyTree Ticket. I just went for normal queue and the wait at that time is like 30 mins. On the 3rd floor, I purchase 350 floor ticket. For 450 floor ticket will be purchase once u are on 350th floor. Very good ticket purchase structure - it avoid buy remorse effect once you see whether you feel the need to go up higher floor.

melvados

Reaction score
They are not for Shinkansen but for their local subways only (check their coverage includes the places you intend to go or not).

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html
http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_tokyotravel.html

Are you a fan for high altitude observation deck? If so, go for it. You can also make your decision basing on the hour's weather condition. If its cloudy, then no point, not even worth going to the lower deck as you wont see much but mist and cloud. My 2c

What is your destination that you are planning to travel to on Shinkansen?

There is no shinkansen for you to travel around Tokyo. Shinkansen is available only if you use it to move from one region to another region.

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway and JR are the largest train network in Tokyo. Keikyu line is quite limited.

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway is best choice because it has most numbers of station in Tokyo. It bring you to Tokyo Skytree.

I never use Fast SkyTree Ticket. I just went for normal queue and the wait at that time is like 30 mins. On the 3rd floor, I purchase 350 floor ticket. For 450 floor ticket will be purchase once u are on 350th floor. Very good ticket purchase structure - it avoid buy remorse effect once you see whether you feel the need to go up higher floor.

I think I may have gotten myself confused. Cause in this link I found:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html

I see that it is JR-East and hence I made the assumption that it is a Shinkansen, if you scroll down to the "Valid Train Route", in the first point, it mentioned something about reserved seats and hence I thought it is a Shinkansen..

Then ultimately, when I see another similar ticket - http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_tokyo1day.html

I presume this is similar to the above one, just that it is allows you to go on different train lines?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I see that it is JR-East and hence I made the assumption that it is a Shinkansen, if you scroll down to the "Valid Train Route", in the first point, it mentioned something about reserved seats and hence I thought it is a Shinkansen..

Then ultimately, when I see another similar ticket - http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_tokyo1day.html

I presume this is similar to the above one, just that it is allows you to go on different train lines?

Cannot assume one. Must see the coverage.

The JR Tokyo 1day ticket is good as it have cross coverage with other train companies. But it is also quite expensive. The question to ask is, how much will you pay for all your planned itinerary within that day? If its all in less than the cost of 1590yen, then use SUICA. If higher than get the 1day ticket.

Here's an professional analysis on the 1day ticket

"Tokyo One-Day Free Ticket, Tokyo Tour Ticket, Tokyo Free Kippu, Tokyo Combination Ticket

This deal is called by several different names but it is same. This covers all subway lines and JR lines in Tokyo 23 wards. So it is combined of Toei Subway and Tokyo Metro Lines Common One-Day Economy Pass (1000 yen) and Tokyo Tokunai Pass (750 yen). But the price of this deal is 1590 yen. Actually this is not easy to get the worth of this pass. You have to make train trip at least 8 times. If you visit many places in one day and need to take both subway and JR trains, this pass will work. Otherwise this is not recommended. You may find the detailed information and conditions at JR East official site."

http://jprail.com/destinations/kant...ket_Tokyo_Free_Kippu_Tokyo_Combination_Ticket

Read the site, it has tons of good information on everything about JP railways.

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Cpuer is right. Please read the coverage of the pass. Different passes different coverage.

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway pass is that Haneda website you show us.

Please read very carefully because you know where you are going (we don't know where you are going other than Tokyo Skytree).

melvados

Reaction score
Thanks guys, noted about that. I will try to collate the amount on where I am going and see if buying a pass is worth it. Or come back here again with more questions

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, is it worth skipping half-day trip of Kinkaku-ji/Daitoku-ji/Ryoan-ji for Kurama and Kibune? Or I could just do them altogether in a day?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, is it worth skipping half-day trip of Kinkaku-ji/Daitoku-ji/Ryoan-ji for Kurama and Kibune? Or I could just do them altogether in a day?

IMO, do at least Kinkakuji then head to Kurama/Kibune bah.

Kurama/Kibune are linked with a hiking trail. It's popular among the Japanese to visit both via the trail.

daranic

Reaction score
Am I right to say that if you have taken the Mt Kachi Kachi Ropeway, it is kinda duplicate if you take Hakone ropeway again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.