Whatsapp not running in background today

lunloon

Reaction score
It was still working fine yesterday but something happened in the night and now Whatsapp doesn't stay in the background in my Lumia 950XL Dual Sim.

Got a text from my wife saying she saw that I didn't receiver her WA msg.
Found that WA web doesn't have connection to the phone. Started WA in the phone, wait till it goes to sleep, bang. No more whatsapp.

Soft reset didn't work.
Uninstalled, reinstalled didn't work.
Toggled settings in battery to allow it always in the background, doesn't work.
Toggled Background Apps setting for WA, didn't work.

Now just short of doing a hard reset.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did u try to update the app? Mayb it's a bug. The other option is to download and use WhatsApp beta instead. If not then u might need to do a factory recovery. I used to have some crazy problems on my Evernote app.

Btw are you on insider or production release?

It was still working fine yesterday but something happened in the night and now Whatsapp doesn't stay in the background in my Lumia 950XL Dual Sim.

Got a text from my wife saying she saw that I didn't receiver her WA msg.
Found that WA web doesn't have connection to the phone. Started WA in the phone, wait till it goes to sleep, bang. No more whatsapp.

Soft reset didn't work.
Uninstalled, reinstalled didn't work.
Toggled settings in battery to allow it always in the background, doesn't work.
Toggled Background Apps setting for WA, didn't work.

Now just short of doing a hard reset.

Last edited:

lunloon

Reaction score
Did u try to update the app? Mayb it's a big. The other option is to download and use WhatsApp beta instead. If not then u might need to do a factory recovery. I used to have some crazy problems on my Evernote app.

Btw are you on insider or production release?

I'm on the standard release. The app was updated last week, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. There's a couple more responses I've got on Windows Central and Reddit who have the same issues. So it's not isolated to my case. I'll take a look at Beta and see if it works.

Hard reset will be my last resort. It'll take an immense amount of time.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel u bro, I have a 950 running on insider preview and the number of times I have to do a hard reset and recovery to solve problems is frequent that it isn't even funny anymore. Nowadays I just use my 950 as a home fun device for my Son. No way u can really use it for Long as a primary

I'm on the standard release. The app was updated last week, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. There's a couple more responses I've got on Windows Central and Reddit who have the same issues. So it's not isolated to my case. I'll take a look at Beta and see if it works.

Hard reset will be my last resort. It'll take an immense amount of time.

lunloon

Reaction score
I feel u bro, I have a 950 running on insider preview and the number of times I have to do a hard reset and recovery to solve problems is frequent that it isn't even funny anymore. Nowadays I just use my 950 as a home fun device for my Son. No way u can really use it for Long as a primary

It's kinda disappointing now. Quite a bunch of issues with this phone was always because of Whatsapp like it got stuck ringing and had to remove the battery. Else it was working perfectly for what I needed.

lunloon

Reaction score
It's more broken on WhatsApp beta. The messages don't get received unless the app is active. In background even when the phone is not sleeping nothing is received.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's more broken on WhatsApp beta. The messages don't get received unless the app is active. In background even when the phone is not sleeping nothing is received.

Its now confirmed that it is a global problem. It affects all WP8 to wp10 hence most likely a whatsapp server issue.
Man, u tell me how to use windows phone as a primary like this :vijayadmin:
whatsapp is almost an essential app nowadays

http://www.windowscentral.com/psa-w...windows-phone-appear-be-broken-some-right-now

HL

Reaction score
I should have checked the forums yesterday. I thought my 950 XL kena spoilt, but this morning the WA seems ok already phew.

On a side note, can I ask the bros here if you all have problem with Facebook mobile website on the phone's Edge browser? I can't seem to post a status either on my own page or a group page but replying to others' comments is fine.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I should have checked the forums yesterday. I thought my 950 XL kena spoilt, but this morning the WA seems ok already phew.

On a side note, can I ask the bros here if you all have problem with Facebook mobile website on the phone's Edge browser? I can't seem to post a status either on my own page or a group page but replying to others' comments is fine.

Hmm. Works on mine leh. Just tested. Mine is fast ring though
Why are u not using the native Facebook app?

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought they said it sucks and drains the phone batt so I never install.

Haha. It does suck. Takes forever to load ( like WhatsApp) . Its live tile updating also leaves much to be desired. As for battery drain, think it's not the worst. Edge seems to drain even more

However, functionality wise, it seems to be quite complete and is quite usable

Last edited:

HL

Reaction score
Edge seems to drain even more

Yes, I don't understand why Edge drains so much battery. I miss the IE on my older WP 8 where there were data saving options you could choose how much of a webpage to download. Most of the time, I just want to read the text but Edge downloads EVERYTHING.

But I still love Windows Phones.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I don't understand why Edge drains so much battery. I miss the IE on my older WP 8 where there were data saving options you could choose how much of a webpage to download. Most of the time, I just want to read the text but Edge downloads EVERYTHING.

But I still love Windows Phones.
Some bros here suggested some ways to reduce edge battery consumption
1) Close multiple windows on the app
2) Switch off bookmark synchronozation between devices

Yeah, windows phone has the best UI in my opinion but the apps aside, the current software is just still too unstable. even with production builds, there are too many bugs and lags to make it as a daily driver without compromised performance :(

TheSnail

Reaction score
Its now confirmed that it is a global problem. It affects all WP8 to wp10 hence most likely a whatsapp server issue.

Had the same problem so had to re-verify my number to my "backup" Mi and on that, it worked okay. Unsure whether to hand back to my 830 or not.

Agree with you, UI is the best and I am happy using email, WhatsApp, Skype, mapping and Groove but now my 830 "phone" has an issue where some people complain of noise and cannot hear me......same issue I had a year ago with my old 920 :( Don't know if can be fixed or not, or where.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.