To get Nintendo Switch in Japan

raul89

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to get Nintendo Switch when I'm in Japan next month, would like to know whether there will be any language setting issues in console, power adapter compatability or other limitations?

Thanks in advance!

tidiii

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can u buy for me oso?

u go the switch thread n ask better

Kiddream

Master Member
Reaction score
You can set the language to English during setup, and the power adaptor works here. You just have to have the plug to convert the Japan 2- pin to our local one.

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got back from japan last Sat.
Unless you pre-ordered there is no way to get it off the shelf.
I asked about availability from most of the big mechants, Yodobashi and BIC camera. Most are still accepting another round of pre-order.
Alot of accessories though but no consoles to be found.

raul89

Reaction score
In the end I got it locally, as Nintendo doesn't have international warranty, too risky to get console there. It's probably a better idea to get games and accessories there.

XxGaiaxX

Reaction score
In the end I got it locally, as Nintendo doesn't have international warranty, too risky to get console there. It's probably a better idea to get games and accessories there.

Pretty much a better choice. Since at most you save like 100 bucks or so, but have to worry everyday (At least for a year) about your console having problems since there's no local warranty.

Runez

Master Member
Reaction score

Wise choice, so u can play ur NS otw to japan!

go japan hunt for accessories!

rEe_TaN

Master Member
Reaction score
I will get in japan. No way im paying a price of a PS4 Pro =_=

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get in japan better. 29990 Yen if i remember correctly.
Its only SGD $370 and still can minus 8% tax. use Visa got extra 5% discount (at Yodobashi and BIC). You can buy two in japan with the damn price of 699 in Singapore.
Anyway Nintendo hardware quite hardy one

aaalgoh

Reaction score
Agreed. I would get from Japan as well. I got 3 3DS LL from Japan at different periods and all have no issues even until now. Been years.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Its only SGD $370 and still can minus 8% tax. use Visa got extra 5% discount (at Yodobashi and BIC). You can buy two in japan with the damn price of 699 in Singapore.

Good to know. Tks for the info.
Did not know about the Visa promo @ Yodobashi/BIC.

Hmm.. now if there is stock of course.

So the language option can be changed on the console. What about the games itself from Japan?

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Based on the Switch thread, some of our fellow local hwz forumers are facing hw problems like joy-con desync, left joy-con battery draining and feeling hot to touch, switch battery draining while in sleep mode and even when off, switch feeling hot to touch, dead pixel at the center of the switch screen etc. I don't know how many ppl here have the Switch already, the friend code thread shows about 30, so probably 60 have it? 4 or 5 ppl unlucky enough to encounter problem is a pretty high proportion. And this is still new, I fear some other problems could happen, like the fan failing over time, the kickstand breaking.

Not saying we should be paying Maxsoft tax (f**k them, no one should be paying that), but just be aware of what you are getting into if you don't have warranty. And just evaluate for yourself whether you really NEED to have the Switch now? (To play what? Zelda, a single-player game, play later won't die one; and then what? the super overpriced bomber man? and then buy all sorts of overpriced ports cos there is nothing else to play?) Chill lah, can wait just wait lor.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

29990 from BIC is already Tax Free, Yodobashi 32xxx before Tax Free.

simcher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on the Switch thread, some of our fellow local hwz forumers are facing hw problems like joy-con desync, left joy-con battery draining and feeling hot to touch, switch battery draining while in sleep mode and even when off, switch feeling hot to touch, dead pixel at the center of the switch screen etc. I don't know how many ppl here have the Switch already, the friend code thread shows about 30, so probably 60 have it? 4 or 5 ppl unlucky enough to encounter problem is a pretty high proportion. And this is still new, I fear some other problems could happen, like the fan failing over time, the kickstand breaking.

Not saying we should be paying Maxsoft tax (f**k them, no one should be paying that), but just be aware of what you are getting into if you don't have warranty. And just evaluate for yourself whether you really NEED to have the Switch now? (To play what? Zelda, a single-player game, play later won't die one; and then what? the super overpriced bomber man? and then buy all sorts of overpriced ports cos there is nothing else to play?) Chill lah, can wait just wait lor.
i have a right joycon battery drain and extremely hot, even connected a charger, the right joycon will run out of battery within 1 hour, and no way to continue playing unless i put it in sleep mode to let it charge for 3 hours to get full, and discharge in 1 hour....

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My guess is rushed production and 1st batch problems .
Buying without warranty is a huge gamble at least for now.

Well you always have the pay the price for being a hardcore zelda fan lol. After a few months the switch price will drop and better quality too since most hardware and software issues will be fixed by then.

Last edited:

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a right joycon battery drain and extremely hot, even connected a charger, the right joycon will run out of battery within 1 hour, and no way to continue playing unless i put it in sleep mode to let it charge for 3 hours to get full, and discharge in 1 hour....

Use the warranty , it might be a hardware defect .

Seyvon

Reaction score
Hi to anyone interested in buying the switch in japan, it is currently sold out everywhere but according to Bic Camera website, Switch will be available in store from March 11 onwards

Oranger

Reaction score
Hi to anyone interested in buying the switch in japan, it is currently sold out everywhere but according to Bic Camera website, Switch will be available in store from March 11 onwards

Nice~ thanks for sharing. Be there in April, hopefully can get a set.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice~ thanks for sharing. Be there in April, hopefully can get a set.

Fingers cross more discounts and there is stock when i go in June.

:)

Maybe by then, many on carousel after people get bored with Zelda. No need to go Japan grab cheaper set.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.