Back from South island New Zealand

camelsback

Reaction score
3IbZrbU.jpg

Tunnel beach. Damn long walk. Not worth

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Abel Tasman, didn't expect the trek to be mostly up and down hill, sibei shag. Nonetheless completed the full 55km, it was really one kind of experience.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah sian, decided to book 2 nights in chch, regret sia, nothing to do here. Dunno what to do tmr, any suggestions? Thinking of driving down to akaroa for the day.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How's your experience so far?

Overall trip or just in chch? Overall has been great, travelling alone allowed me to expand my comfort zone, meet a lot of ppl and made new friends.

The views here are pretty much mystical, drove down Arthur's pass a couple of days back and it was the best drive ever. Felt like i was being transported into middle earth. The people here are nice too, especially in smaller towns, like you can walk in the street early morning and people would bid you good morning and even cashiers at supermarket would ask you how's your day etc.

I brought a tent and sleeping bag so I can pretty much camp if I can't secure accommodation. So far I feel it's been pretty safe, other campers generally won't disturb you and mostly just make small talks.

Hitchhiking is pretty popular as well, though I probably wouldn't do it. So far I've picked up 4 hitchhikers, they all told me that I'm the first Asian that picked them up :s13:

The people I met don't believe me when I said I'm 23 too, quite funny to see their reaction. Oh, and there are a lot of Germans here, all the hostels I've stayed at, I have at least 1 German roommate :s13:

Last edited:

_Dave_

Reaction score
Wah sian, decided to book 2 nights in chch, regret sia, nothing to do here. Dunno what to do tmr, any suggestions? Thinking of driving down to akaroa for the day.
There's a very authentic Japanese restaurant in Christchurch. Can't remember the name off hand, but you can check out zomato. But yeah, chch got nothing much I feel. I was there for work for about a week and I was pretty bored the whole time there.

Sent from ~ using GAGT

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to akaroa, but I heard that there are some tours departing there? Maybe albatross or whale watching, if you're interested in those..

Sent from ~ using GAGT

Went to akaroa today with one of my hostel roommate, we climbed purple peak via curry track and got a fantastic pano view of the town and the sea. Then we had a small picnic near the top since she brought some food. Well worth the 4h we spent under the hot scorching sun.

appledabble

Reaction score
Hehe. Don't believe cuz u look 15 or what other reason :s13:

Great to hear that everything works out perfect. I'm so looking forward to my turn soon :)

R u doing any paid adrenaline activities ?

Overall trip or just in chch? Overall has been great, travelling alone allowed me to expand my comfort zone, meet a lot of ppl and made new friends.

The views here are pretty much mystical, drove down Arthur's pass a couple of days back and it was the best drive ever. Felt like i was being transported into middle earth. The people here are nice too, especially in smaller towns, like you can walk in the street early morning and people would bid you good morning and even cashiers at supermarket would ask you how's your day etc.

I brought a tent and sleeping bag so I can pretty much camp if I can't secure accommodation. So far I feel it's been pretty safe, other campers generally won't disturb you and mostly just make small talks.

Hitchhiking is pretty popular as well, though I probably wouldn't do it. So far I've picked up 4 hitchhikers, they all told me that I'm the first Asian that picked them up :s13:

The people I met don't believe me when I said I'm 23 too, quite funny to see their reaction. Oh, and there are a lot of Germans here, all the hostels I've stayed at, I have at least 1 German roommate :s13:

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only plan to do skydiving. Bungee and jet boats don't interests me. Most of the stuff I'm doing here costs little to no money :s13:

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was camping at mount cook last night, gale force wind swept my tent away, tent was pegged down(6 pegs) with rocks holding the pegs as well. Probably shouldn't have left the tent empty but then I wonder if I leave my pack inside would it be blown away as well... Ended up sleeping inside the car which was super uncomfortable and with rain pelting all night it was terrible..

View in the morning was just as bad, whole mountain was covered in clouds and we could even see a glimpse of it. Did the hooker valley track but the view was disappointing because of the clouds/fog.

lookers

Master Member
Reaction score
Was camping at mount cook last night, gale force wind swept my tent away, tent was pegged down(6 pegs) with rocks holding the pegs as well. Probably shouldn't have left the tent empty but then I wonder if I leave my pack inside would it be blown away as well... Ended up sleeping inside the car which was super uncomfortable and with rain pelting all night it was terrible..

View in the morning was just as bad, whole mountain was covered in clouds and we could even see a glimpse of it. Did the hooker valley track but the view was disappointing because of the clouds/fog.

Raining sucks... means u missed the awesome night view at Mount cook...

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score

I have been to NZ twice. I think it rains quite often there, especially around the sounds area. My two days at Mt Cook were sunny but I did a three hour walk to Key Summit at Milford and like you, saw next to nothing. Those planning to walk should know that even if it drizzles, the chance of poor visibility is likely. So think about enjoying the walk if not always the views. :)

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup didn't really get to star gaze that night. However the drive out was pretty awesome, had a great view of lake pukaki.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.