Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If it's peak hours, I don't think even he's around would make any difference. Japan rush hour is 8-9am right?

Sent from zhuzhu using GAGT

I took their train during peak hour before, in a mixed cabin. Twice. I can't be bothered to find the female only car, and besides my male friend is with me. Both times were totally fine.

Instead of attempting to go into separate carriages, try to avoid peak hour instead. I think separating from your partner is more dangerous/risky if somehow you can't find him at the destination stop.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The nex pass price at online and NRT airport is the same? I'm not sure if it's peak wor... 30th mar considered peak?

Yes, 30th mar is peak because of sakura season.

If it's peak hours, I don't think even he's around would make any difference. Japan rush hour is 8-9am right?

Oh so after 930am means even guys can openly enter those cabins? How about those timings like pangkang? 5-6pm don't have?

You don't have to worry about female-only cabins. The logos for this female-only cabin is shown on the floor or wall when you are there. You still have time to go to mixed cabin.

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, some quick questions again. Trying to finalize my itinerary currently, and I will be arriving at about 7.45am in Osaka during late April, a little well over the Hanami season already.

My question now is, I will be travelling to Kyoto directly and I am wondering if I have enough time for places like Ginkakuji/Philosopher's Walk all the way down to Nanzenji? Or would it be better to just relax and walk around Nishiki market, Maruyama park and Pontocho/Gion at night?

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, 30th mar is peak because of sakura season.

You don't have to worry about female-only cabins. The logos for this female-only cabin is shown on the floor or wall when you are there. You still have time to go to mixed cabin.

Ok then to play safe, I'll just buy the tickets in adv :)

I took their train during peak hour before, in a mixed cabin. Twice. I can't be bothered to find the female only car, and besides my male friend is with me. Both times were totally fine.

Instead of attempting to go into separate carriages, try to avoid peak hour instead. I think separating from your partner is more dangerous/risky if somehow you can't find him at the destination stop.

If that's the case, then I'll start my day by leaving hotel at 9am :D

thwysg

Reaction score
Ok then to play safe, I'll just buy the tickets in adv :)

If that's the case, then I'll start my day by leaving hotel at 9am :D

In the event if you'd be using JR Pass, you'll need to pay the full fee for your tickets since you wish to book them in advance.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, some quick questions again. Trying to finalize my itinerary currently, and I will be arriving at about 7.45am in Osaka during late April, a little well over the Hanami season already.

My question now is, I will be travelling to Kyoto directly and I am wondering if I have enough time for places like Ginkakuji/Philosopher's Walk all the way down to Nanzenji? Or would it be better to just relax and walk around Nishiki market, Maruyama park and Pontocho/Gion at night?

I would recommend the latter as it is your first day, right after the flight. Unless you are able to sleep really well on the plane, I won't suggest a packed itinerary as your body will need its rest. Not really good to stress out your body on the first day of trip. Take your time to explore your hotel neighbourhood instead (and the intended park stroll + pontocho dinner).

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I've been editing my itinerary since last Nov.
Received many comments from people and been trying to improve and finalize it. So this is my current itinerary... please assist if there's anything more needed to be revise :s12:

#1 I'm into shopping but also open to Shrines/Temples.
#2 My hotel is at Shibuya area.
#3 Leaving hotel at 9am to avoid peak hours
#4 Based in Osaka for 3 days and 2 day trips to Kyoto

Day1- Shibuya (Friday)
Landed in NRT Airport at 9am
Hachiko (Statue)
Shibuya 109
Tokyu Hands
Disney Store
(I'm thinking of swapping Shibuya to day3 since by the time I reached will be noon and Ikebukoro activities seem to be a short day? And Shibuya+Harujuku can be in 1 day if I swap to another day. What do you think guys?)

Day2- Harujuku (Saturday)
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Jingu Shrine
Takeshita-dori
Oriental Bazaar
100 yen shop & Kiddyland

Day3- Ikebukoro (Sunday)
Pokemon centre mega
Sunshine City
Marui Department Store
(Anything else to add here?)

Day4- Shinjuku (Monday)
Shinjuku Gyoen
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Takashimaya/Isetan (either 1)
Odakyu
Golden Gai

Day5- Ueno & Akihabara (Tuesday)
Ueno Park
Kiyomizu Kannon Temple
Ueno Ameyoko street
Akihabara
(Will it be rushed if I add Asasuka here?)

Day6- Disney (Wednesday)
To avoid weekend crowds

Day7- Asakusa (Thursday)
Kaminarimon (Kaminari Gate)
Nakamise Shopping Street
Sensoji Temple
Shin-Nakamise Shopping Street
Kappabashi Street
Rox Department Store (if got time)

Day8- Tsukiji Market + Ginza & Tokyo station (Friday)
Breakfast at Tsukiji Market
Tokyo station (Character Street/Marunouchi/Okashi Land)
Ginza (Uniqlo/Matsuya)
Marronnier Gate
Roppongi station (night time)

Day9- Osaka (Saturday)
Take Shinkasen train to Osaka (aiming 6am)
Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street
Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Arcade
Kuromon Ichiba Market
Don Quixote Dotonbori

Day10 - Kyoto
Nijo Castle (Nijojo)

:s11::s11:

Day11- Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Shrine (around 8am to avoid crowds)
Kiyomizudera Temple
Higashiyama street
Gion district
Walk from Gion to Nishiki market.
Maruyama Park (seems to be out of place?)

Thank you! :s12:

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the latter as it is your first day, right after the flight. Unless you are able to sleep really well on the plane, I won't suggest a packed itinerary as your body will need its rest. Not really good to stress out your body on the first day of trip. Take your time to explore your hotel neighbourhood instead (and the intended park stroll + pontocho dinner).

I have a AirBnB accommodation in the Gion area and can only check in after 3pm, that's why I figured if I can just do a short half-day trip in the areas I mentioned. :s13:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Philosopher's walk is about 1 hr 30 mins walk. It is better to do on day so that it is easy to see.

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it still worth it doing a stroll past that area even after the Hanami season? Because I might drop that idea of going to the northern Higashiyama (excluding Kiyomizudera area) and focus on the latter half-day itinerary instead.

Philosopher's walk is about 1 hr 30 mins walk. It is better to do on day so that it is easy to see.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have a AirBnB accommodation in the Gion area and can only check in after 3pm, that's why I figured if I can just do a short half-day trip in the areas I mentioned. :s13:

Hmmm... how big is your luggage? If it's just a backpack that you can carry on your back with no problems, perhaps you can do Nishiki, then Maruyama, before checking into your Gion airbnb since Maruyama is near Gion too. Then rest your legs a little before heading to Pontocho for dinner?

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... how big is your luggage? If it's just a backpack that you can carry on your back with no problems, perhaps you can do Nishiki, then Maruyama, before checking into your Gion airbnb since Maruyama is near Gion too. Then rest your legs a little before heading to Pontocho for dinner?

I have a plan to store my luggage in Sanjo station before venturing off elsewhere and will be carrying a personal bag with me.

Anyone who is a photographer here? How strict are they in terms of allowing a camera tripod in most places in Kyoto?

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it still worth it doing a stroll past that area even after the Hanami season? Because I might drop that idea of going to the northern Higashiyama (excluding Kiyomizudera area) and focus on the latter half-day itinerary instead.

Yeah. I went there before sakura bloom. I found that it is interesting to stroll there.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I've been editing my itinerary since last Nov.
Received many comments from people and been trying to improve and finalize it. So this is my current itinerary... please assist if there's anything more needed to be revise :s12:

#1 I'm into shopping but also open to Shrines/Temples.
#2 My hotel is at Shibuya area.
#3 Leaving hotel at 9am to avoid peak hours
#4 Based in Osaka for 3 days and 2 day trips to Kyoto

Day1- Shibuya (Friday)
Landed in NRT Airport at 9am
Hachiko (Statue)
Shibuya 109
Tokyu Hands
Disney Store
(I'm thinking of swapping Shibuya to day3 since by the time I reached will be noon and Ikebukoro activities seem to be a short day? And Shibuya+Harujuku can be in 1 day if I swap to another day. What do you think guys?)

Day2- Harujuku (Saturday)
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Jingu Shrine
Takeshita-dori
Oriental Bazaar
100 yen shop & Kiddyland

Day3- Ikebukoro (Sunday)
Pokemon centre mega
Sunshine City
Marui Department Store
(Anything else to add here?)

Day4- Shinjuku (Monday)
Shinjuku Gyoen
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Takashimaya/Isetan (either 1)
Odakyu
Golden Gai

Day5- Ueno & Akihabara (Tuesday)
Ueno Park
Kiyomizu Kannon Temple
Ueno Ameyoko street
Akihabara
(Will it be rushed if I add Asasuka here?)

Day6- Disney (Wednesday)
To avoid weekend crowds

Day7- Asakusa (Thursday)
Kaminarimon (Kaminari Gate)
Nakamise Shopping Street
Sensoji Temple
Shin-Nakamise Shopping Street
Kappabashi Street
Rox Department Store (if got time)

Day8- Tsukiji Market + Ginza & Tokyo station (Friday)
Breakfast at Tsukiji Market
Tokyo station (Character Street/Marunouchi/Okashi Land)
Ginza (Uniqlo/Matsuya)
Marronnier Gate
Roppongi station (night time)

Day9- Osaka (Saturday)
Take Shinkasen train to Osaka (aiming 6am)
Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street
Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Arcade
Kuromon Ichiba Market
Don Quixote Dotonbori

Day10 - Kyoto
Nijo Castle (Nijojo)

:s11::s11:

Day11- Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Shrine (around 8am to avoid crowds)
Kiyomizudera Temple
Higashiyama street
Gion district
Walk from Gion to Nishiki market.
Maruyama Park (seems to be out of place?)

Thank you! :s12:
since you are around Asakusa, why not try out the sento there name Jakotsuyu, that should make your JP trip complete:
http://hotspringaddict.blogspot.com/2014/02/best-hot-spring-in-asakusa-tokyo.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.