Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thinking of changing less cash n use mastercard instead in jap, the rates compared to forex ok? I know definitely lesser but factor in rebate, mayb about the same?

I find cash is still king in Japan. Most small eateries take cash. Some ryokans take only cash payments. I paid my hotel stay in cash too. :s13:

Entropy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am in Osaka (but will be travelling to Tokyo soon). Generally, I find that ABC mart, asics store and department store are selling Asics shoes slightly cheaper than in singapore e.g latest Kayano 23 for about 15500 yen. It seems to be slightly cheaper than in singapore. However, in their outlet, their shoes are priced at cheaper e.g Nimbus 18, 10100 Yen per pair. Do bear in mind that the design and colour are limited in outlet store.

Also note that the Kayano 23 is a current model, while the Nimbus 18 is the old model as Nimbus 19 is out so Nimbus 18 will have dropped in price more significantly compared to Kayano 23.

The biggest savings can be gotten from Asics Skysensor Japan and Asics Tarther Japan models which are made in Japan models and retail at $399 (I think they recently dropped the price to $299 after people complained) in Singapore. In Japan, normal retail price for Skysensor Japan and Tarther Japan hover around $200.

thwysg

Reaction score
Also note that the Kayano 23 is a current model, while the Nimbus 18 is the old model as Nimbus 19 is out so Nimbus 18 will have dropped in price more significantly compared to Kayano 23.

The biggest savings can be gotten from Asics Skysensor Japan and Asics Tarther Japan models which are made in Japan models and retail at $399 (I think they recently dropped the price to $299 after people complained) in Singapore. In Japan, normal retail price for Skysensor Japan and Tarther Japan hover around $200.

Regretted not getting another pair. Was complaining to my SO about the price of Kayano 23 when I was in Japan last month. He paid $250 for mine. Heavily utilized throughout my trip and my physiotherapy sessions.

Oh well, next time. :D

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can consider using DBS MCA
http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/deposits/savings-accounts/dbs-multi-currency-autosave

The fees are lower than CC, assuming you can lock in a favorable rate and keep that yen in your acct. Today I check against the best rate from cashchanger, MCA is higher than Arcade Hassan & Sons by 0.4%. Not too bad actually.

But the trouble with CC/DC in JP is that they are not so widely used, not in those mom and pop shops, or small eateries. Chain stores would normally accept cards though.

Haha thanks. Thinkinh of using cc for those purchases maybe few 100s de, or some eateries if they accept. Den bring abt 1.4k cash for expenses

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regretted not getting another pair. Was complaining to my SO about the price of Kayano 23 when I was in Japan last month. He paid $250 for mine. Heavily utilized throughout my trip and my physiotherapy sessions.

Oh well, next time. :D

Yah, the new models are priced slightly cheaper there. Went to Mitsui Outlet in Hokkaido, besides shoes, Asics running tights are cheap and v good quality.

Sometimes can find good deals closer to home ... 2yrs ago, I bought Kayano20 in KL shopping mall, one of the local sports chain store, half price SGD 139 after fx !

Would love to get Nimbus ... more cushioning.

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback .

So outlet it just get a pair still worth to go or just get from any ABC ?

Currently, I am in Osaka (but will be travelling to Tokyo soon). Generally, I find that ABC mart, asics store and department store are selling Asics shoes slightly cheaper than in singapore e.g latest Kayano 23 for about 15500 yen. It seems to be slightly cheaper than in singapore. However, in their outlet, their shoes are priced at cheaper e.g Nimbus 18, 10100 Yen per pair. Do bear in mind that the design and colour are limited in outlet store.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

kzonexx

Reaction score
Guys, how much yen should I bring for a 1 week trip? I prefer to use CC where possible. So just wanna cover expenses that only accept cash.

thwysg

Reaction score

Saw similar prices at ABC mart in DiverCity. Feel no point traveling so far to outlet mall if it was going to take up long hours to reach there and come back to your hotel just to buy a pair of shoes.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No point Unless u have other stuff to buy or see at the outlet shop..like for my wife she wana buy LeCreuset stuff so outlet is cheaper and since there then take a look also..

for example Nike in outlet is the same model as what u will see in sg but cheaper, just buy from abcmart .if looking for more limited design especially for Nike then go atmos or even the Nike shop near harajuku..

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So little? That's only S$400-600+. Need to see where he's heading to. If outskirts, cash only.

Brought 60k for 11days. Now into my 7days.. left with 15k. And I Had not buy those Tokyo bananas kit kat and some other food souvenir for my family.. gonna use cc for those Liao..

The eating is a killer unless Wan to eat Budget like beef bowl every meal.

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kamogawa river flow along Kyoto from north to south. The most convenient spot for you is to access from Pontocho, they run parallel to each other. Best time is during dusk, nice walkway/footpath along it before you walk back up to Pontocho. Some folks will come down to the river bank as they pass by it between Kawaramachi stn and Gion Shijo Stn. I also did the Demachiyanagi side where the river branches out. You can drop by if you are around there.

Thanks for the tips.. went fushimi inari Nishiki market gion district potoncho and see the kamo river ard sunset As well today.

I tot online said along the river bank at nite and from my Google image there will be ppl And lights but I see like all dark lei. Lol

Last edited:

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just do it! Time and tide wait for no man/woman. :D

My first experience also like you, so kancheong as if this is my first nude public appearance in front of the Tokyo crowd. But once I stepped inside the changing room, before the pools, then I realized it's all my imagination that any men would be interested in my body or stare at my out of shape body parts. No one reacted excitedly when I entered the room, no one side eyed me, nothing happened! One obasan casually sweeping the floor and tidying stuffs while all the naked men leisurely walking around. A few kids teasing one another. One young girl naked and waiting for her dad to undress.

After this one time, the rest is history. :s13:

so lemme guess....

you chatup the obasan? :s13:

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So little? That's only S$400-600+. Need to see where he's heading to. If outskirts, cash only.
True. I guess I assumed that if he's asking how much to bring that means it's his first trip to Japan, which probably means Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto where credit cards are already mostly accepted anywhere that's expensive.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, how much yen should I bring for a 1 week trip? I prefer to use CC where possible. So just wanna cover expenses that only accept cash.

for travel within city by train. I think per day around $10-20.
Lunch depends. maybe around $10-$30
Then u still got those attractions site to go. Depends where if Kyoto per day you might need $40 for temples.
Tokyo not so much. Gardens, Skytree etc all also need money
Dinner also $20 to sky is limit.

I think per day, u will need at least 10k Yen. One week 70k Yen
Then need to prepare so backup. I think 1 week 100k Yen.

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
hi!! i need help for my 2 days kyoto as per below:
is my itinerary ok so far?

Day1
Jr Kyoto Line from KIX to Kyoto
Torroko Arashiyama
Sagano road of bamboo forest
Tenryuji temple
Stroll down Kamogawa River
Nijo Castle (Nijojo)
The Cube Shopping Mall - if got time
Take Jr Kyoto Line to Osaka

Day2
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Kiyomizudera Temple
Lunch at Higashiyama district, and explore the old shopping street at Higashiyama.
Maruyama Park
Hanami-koji street in Gion district
Walk from Gion to Nishiki market.
Take Jr Kyoto Line to Osaka

:s12::s12::s12::s12:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.