Dont buy dogs from PETSHOPS, FARMS!! ADOPT INSTEAD!

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya... What are the symptoms like? Never encounter one before. I would also like to know.

My Maltese snapped my finger twice. Once when I was feeding her, the other time when she growl as she was being carried up from the floor. I scolded her and she snapped my finger. It breaks my heart.... I had her since 2 months old and she has been so obedient and suddenly she becomes like that....

I wonder if that is one of the symptom?

Have you considered seeing a vet? I think your dog might be in pain

veracalla

Reaction score
When a dog snaps, there are a few reasons but very unlikely due to mental unstability. One thing for sure, be firm to the dog. Do not back off after he snaps, otherwise he will take it as his "strategy" to scare you off. You need to show that you are the leader.

I didn't back off after she snapped. I was crying and tried my best to scold her firmly and beat her with a cane. I dun dare to use my hand to smack her :(

veracalla

Reaction score
Have you considered seeing a vet? I think your dog might be in pain

Lycans, I did. Brought her to the vet thereafter and told the vet what happened. The vet checked and didn't find anything wrong with her. He said she might be having some vision problem, didn't know its me and that's why she snapped my finger. But the thing is, she should be able to smell me, isn't it? And when I bring her out for walks, she can see the drain and leaped over it. Then when I put her snacks infront of her, she can pick it up accurately. So I really dun think its vision.:s11:

Reaction score
I didn't back off after she snapped. I was crying and tried my best to scold her firmly and beat her with a cane. I dun dare to use my hand to smack her :(

hmmm, you must shout very loud at her and saying the word, BAD Girl. Try to ignored her for a few hours. This might help. I have been having dogs for many many years.

necro17000

Reaction score
Dont beat a dog

Dont beat a dog. You need to know dogs have intelligence of 2 years old. If you beat them they wont know what is it for. They just know you beat them and its painful. They might think it is an acceptable behavior for aggression.

its better to scold them, with low tone (low tone = scolding, high tone = praising for dogs) and then put them in time out area for 15 mins-30 mins.

velvetcomatose

Reaction score
Hi would like to ask if anyone knows what is wrong with the dog's eyes?
11705291_10152995391427043_543643713503449186_n.jpg

Missumuch

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been to the animal shelters before but many of the dogs are are not suitable for HDB as they are large breeds and most of the dogs in the shelters are mongrels.

Most of the animals shelters in Singapore house mongrels so the bulk of them will not be HDB approved.

You can try to adopt from Voices for animals which hv a lot of small sizes pedigrees for adoptions. The only setback is that these small animals are ex breeding dogs and r adults dogs > 5yrs old, unlike mongrels u can still find a lot below the age of 3.

floralgaragesg

Reaction score
Not just puppy mills

It's true, it's rather inhumane to support these pet shops. Sometimes these pet shops treat their "stock" very badly. And what's worse is that if some of these pets are not sold by the time they are 12months or so, they are put to death.

I think that as businesses these pet shops should take the risk instead of treating their pets so inhumanely.

It's sad that there aren't any laws in Singapore that prevent such things.

waterbao

Reaction score
better to adopt

pedigree dogs have alot of issues as its inbred.
better to adopt some rescue dogs or mongrels.

prada young

Reaction score
Dog adoption drive

I just came back visiting a Dog Adoption Drive the other day, quite a number of puppies were rescued from Pulau Ubin. Still considering adopting one of them as my two schnauzers passed on last year due to old age. Just asking myself whether I'm ready for this... hmm

RobinTeoHood

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 3rd dog, a teacup poodle, I was unaware that it had mild mental problems until it was about a year old. Sometimes, it is really a bad idea to get a dog that is the runt of the litter.

lol don't like that say leh.. even the alphadog of the litter can have mental issues. impt to interact with the dog and get an idea of what you're getting into

my dog was the runt of the litter, pure bred sold for just $800. with undescended testicles and some mild tearing, and he's the most amazing dog anyone could have!

Wow, do you people even know how teacup dogs are bred?

Custom cruelty at its best.

http://blog.myletsadopt.com/2011/12/06/royal-teacup-puppies-custom-made-cruelty-at-its-best/

ClaraAmelia

Reaction score
It's not that some people don't adopt, but we are looking for specific breeds that can cater around our living in Singapore. Most of us lives in small sized condo or HDB with lots of health issue. If I continued in the States, I'd get another pit-bull. They are the cutest and most loyal breed, but it's not allowed in Singapore's HDB.
Of course, if someone is healthy and lives in a big private house, than adopting is encouraged. But I realised that some people bring their dogs to the shelter because they down grade from a private to a HDB. So they can't bring their dog.

Last edited:

archcherub

Reaction score
It's not that some people don't adopt, but we are looking for specific breeds that can cater around our living in Singapore. Most of us lives in small sized condo or HDB with lots of health issue. If I continued in the States, I'd get another pit-bull. They are the cutest and most loyal breed, but it's not allowed in Singapore's HDB.
Of course, if someone is healthy and lives in a big private house, than adopting is encouraged. But I realised that some people bring their dogs to the shelter because they down grade from a private to a HDB. So they can't bring their dog.

agreed with you.
but in general, these are the minor cases. most pple still buy because they are attracted by cuteness....
little did they know pet farms breed the dogs to cuteness... meaning a lot of deformed and ugly dogs get killed because its not economical.

adopt whenever possible ^.^
i know of pple downgrade from private to hdb.... bobian, but they love their dogs so much, just dont tell hdb lor.. haha :s13:

Mummtaz

Reaction score
hope your pup is doing better.

Lycans, I did. Brought her to the vet thereafter and told the vet what happened. The vet checked and didn't find anything wrong with her. He said she might be having some vision problem, didn't know its me and that's why she snapped my finger. But the thing is, she should be able to smell me, isn't it? And when I bring her out for walks, she can see the drain and leaped over it. Then when I put her snacks infront of her, she can pick it up accurately. So I really dun think its vision.:s11:

Im not really a pro but base on experience. You are right, chances of your dog having poor vision is low. Your dog definitely did bite you.

My Maltese snapped my finger twice. 1"Once when I was feeding her, the other time when she growl as she was being carried up from the floor." 2"I scolded her and she snapped my finger." It breaks my heart.... I had her since 2 months old and she has been so 3"obedient and suddenly she becomes like that.... "

I wonder if that is one of the symptom?

Im guessing your dog might have resource guarding issues. If we take a closer look on

Sentence no.1. Imagine while you are having your favourite food and someone removed you from the table for whatever reason. How would you feel. A little unhappy right. So same for your maltese. Growling was the best signal that she gave you, displeasure. Further more she was carried away and being removed. Double pain!

Sentence no.2. So lets imagine today someone whose larger than you, starts scolding you and pointing finger at you how would you feel. lousy right. So same thing.

Sentence no.3. What we see over here is poor communications between our pets. It gets really unfair to the little ones when we start to associate that they understand human languages. Strongly discourage people using scolding method and being the pack leader theory, but i do agree on using tone, dogs understand through tone. Its like different alphabets to every different sound that you make. Be consistent on your method of teaching not just being firm.

Imagine a foreign stranger starts talking to you in their language and using their hands hitting you with a stern look what would reaction be. But in actual fact he was just trying to tell you to stay away! mosquitoes are flying around they carry dengue!

I learn quite a bit from Cuzzey. You can google them.
It helped me a lot on my mongrel. My pup use to have issues on that too whenever i tried to remove his feed bowl from him because i poured too much he'll growl. When he is eating, if he has a friend beside him eating he'll growl too. Its really sad when you see your pup could not get along with the rest and i started to keep him away from other dogs and people. He is better now but still need a lot of conditioning. Hope it helps.

freddychin

Reaction score
In meomory of my beloved family member, Silver

My beloved 11 years plus Female Miniature Schnauzer B/S, Silver just passed away on 17 Nov 2016.

She crossed the rainbow bridge in the middle of the night due to heart attack, I believe as there was no signs in the afternoon.

Our family missed her. She join our family when she was 3 months old.

Our life will still need to move on.

We will still look forward to add another new member to our Retired family but of the same bred MS, female B/S with the same name as our previous member of the family.

We want to treat it as nothing have happen.

Let see fate can bring us together with a new member to our family.

Whether is a purchase with a reasonable affordable price tag or adoption with a small fee.

Please share with me if there is any information on the above.

Looking for a new family member as a companion to a retired family and not looking for a show dog for prestigious fame.

Thanks and regards

archcherub

Reaction score
My beloved 11 years plus Female Miniature Schnauzer B/S, Silver just passed away on 17 Nov 2016.

She crossed the rainbow bridge in the middle of the night due to heart attack, I believe as there was no signs in the afternoon.

Our family missed her. She join our family when she was 3 months old.

Our life will still need to move on.

We will still look forward to add another new member to our Retired family but of the same bred MS, female B/S with the same name as our previous member of the family.

We want to treat it as nothing have happen.

Let see fate can bring us together with a new member to our family.

Whether is a purchase with a reasonable affordable price tag or adoption with a small fee.

Please share with me if there is any information on the above.

Looking for a new family member as a companion to a retired family and not looking for a show dog for prestigious fame.

Thanks and regards

really hope u can adopt!
there are lots of dogs out there. SPCA has tons of dogs available for adoption, i am sure u can find a cute one.

Try these too!
http://sosd.org.sg/adopt-a-dog/

http://asdsingapore.com/wp/adopt-a-dog/

http://adoptadog.sg/

thank you for considering adopting! :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.