Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be doing a 6D5N self-drive trip to Perth in May and will be booking my car rental with Hertz.

Should I just book the $243 without any coverage(get a 3rd party insurance coverage)

or

Should I just go ahead to book the one that consists of everything at a price of $520?

No brainer, just choose the cheaper option and find a 3rd party insurance..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
2 cars will be better, van doesn't feel good to drive on the open roads..

On the other hand, you'll need to find 2 parking spots and pay for 2 lots of parking. It's really only an issue in the CBD and Fremantle, so it depends on where you're ultimately spending time in.

luvenergy

Reaction score
I need to rent 2 car seats for my kids.may I know do hertz and Avis provide car seats for rental?Whats the pricing like?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, you'll need to find 2 parking spots and pay for 2 lots of parking. It's really only an issue in the CBD and Fremantle, so it depends on where you're ultimately spending time in.

7 adults, 2 kids.. you need a 9 seater van. Not sure if there's such a vehicle available. Fremantle isn't an issue, plenty of parking. Whilst in the city, it's unlikely you need a car to get around.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
7 adults, 2 kids.. you need a 9 seater van. Not sure if there's such a vehicle available. Fremantle isn't an issue, plenty of parking. Whilst in the city, it's unlikely you need a car to get around.

Oh... 7 + 2 = 9. I can't count. :s13:

Every pax needs their own seat here, unlike in SG where you can put in additional kids.

Some places have 12 seater hiace available, but given the costs and the bulkiness of the vehicle, 2 cars would definitely be the better option.

Quasar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be doing a 6D5N self-drive trip to Perth in May and will be booking my car rental with Hertz.

However, I have encounter the different pricing between booking by Hertz member and guest. (same car/class/same insurance coverage)

By booking it as a guest with Toyota Corolla(Group H), without any coverage is at a price of $243AUD

By booking it as a Member with same option as the above, it cost a total of $520 AUD! (same price as with everything in )

Is there anyone that have encounter this situation or had book with Hertz before able to advise?

Should I just book the $243 without any coverage(get a 3rd party insurance coverage)

or

Should I just go ahead to book the one that consists of everything at a price of $520?

For Hertz member you may need to drill down into your insurance options under your member profile/account details. If you choose maximum coverage and all the options they will be auto-reflected and so you don't have to sign anything when you pick up the car. These are set by per region, so you may have to look under Australia/New Zealand.

Also, the US and Australia urls quote differently even though the quote still comes out in AUD at the end of the day.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
For Hertz, I usually just go with whatever is the cheapest option, so I would check the websites from multiple countries, and if the member price doesn't look right, I would log out and have a look at the non-member price as well.

ILOVESIC

Reaction score
For Hertz member you may need to drill down into your insurance options under your member profile/account details. If you choose maximum coverage and all the options they will be auto-reflected and so you don't have to sign anything when you pick up the car. These are set by per region, so you may have to look under Australia/New Zealand.

Also, the US and Australia urls quote differently even though the quote still comes out in AUD at the end of the day.
Thanks for highlighting on this part !

Appreciate much, cheers :)

clara03

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask if drivers below 25 are allowed to drive? I have someone who is above 25 therefore I think we will be using his name to get the car rental first. How about the sub-drivers who are below 25. Are they allowed to drive with a Class 3A license?

Thank you.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask if drivers below 25 are allowed to drive? I have someone who is above 25 therefore I think we will be using his name to get the car rental first. How about the sub-drivers who are below 25. Are they allowed to drive with a Class 3A license?

Thank you.

Yes allowed, but you need to pay a premium and can't drive certain cars..

clara03

Reaction score
Yes allowed, but you need to pay a premium and can't drive certain cars..

Thanks for your reply. How about P-plates driver and below 25?
In addition, is it a MUST to register the sub-drivers?

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. How about P-plates driver and below 25?
In addition, is it a MUST to register the sub-drivers?

I'm not sure about P plate, but if your license is less than 1yr, you may not be allowed to rent.

Yes you need to, if not the insurance will not cover

ILOVESIC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

May I check did anyone of you encounter any extra hidden cost charge while booking with Hertz?
(Different from the price that you reserve online and at the counter)

And also did the process of renting as a Member faster than Guest when it comes to paperwork and collection of car or it depends on luck (queue) ? :s13::s13:
(there is a golden member counter and a normal one)

Anyone can advise ? Thanks :s12:

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

May I check did anyone of you encounter any extra hidden cost charge while booking with Hertz?
(Different from the price that you reserve online and at the counter)

And also did the process of renting as a Member faster than Guest when it comes to paperwork and collection of car or it depends on luck (queue) ? :s13::s13:
(there is a golden member counter and a normal one)

Anyone can advise ? Thanks :s12:

I rented from Hertz in Melbourne and the US before. Based on my experience, there is no hidden cost but you have the option of returning your car with less than full tank (+$), extra insurance (+$) etc.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.