Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

May I check did anyone of you encounter any extra hidden cost charge while booking with Hertz?
(Different from the price that you reserve online and at the counter)

And also did the process of renting as a Member faster than Guest when it comes to paperwork and collection of car or it depends on luck (queue) ? :s13::s13:
(there is a golden member counter and a normal one)

Anyone can advise ? Thanks :s12:

No hidden cost.. queue depends on the flight time? Varies, but generally Perth shouldn't be that crowded...

ILOVESIC

Reaction score
I rented from Hertz in Melbourne and the US before. Based on my experience, there is no hidden cost but you have the option of returning your car with less than full tank (+$), extra insurance (+$) etc.

No hidden cost.. queue depends on the flight time? Varies, but generally Perth shouldn't be that crowded...

Thanks guys for the prompt reply! Guess I will just book it with Hertz membership since now got special offer :s13::s13:

Cheers! :s12:

greenhse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

May I check did anyone of you encounter any extra hidden cost charge while booking with Hertz?
(Different from the price that you reserve online and at the counter)

And also did the process of renting as a Member faster than Guest when it comes to paperwork and collection of car or it depends on luck (queue) ? :s13::s13:
(there is a golden member counter and a normal one)

Anyone can advise ? Thanks :s12:

Last year I rented from Hertz. Only 1 person on duty. Dun see any special queue.

Queue was long and slow. The staff explained everything in details and of course many people also asked a lot of questions. Minimum 10-15 mins per customer.

No hidden cost but there are many optional lines. It is good if you can decide in advance rather than think over the counter.

Last edited:

ILOVESIC

Reaction score
Last year I rented from Hertz. Only 1 person on duty. Dun see any special queue.

Queue was long and slow. The staff explained everything in details and of course many people also asked a lot of questions. Minimum 10-15 mins per customer.

No hidden cost but there are many optional lines. It is good if you can decide in advance rather than think over the counter.

Damn it! I guess there is no difference to book as member or guest then.

Hopefully when I reach there will have lesser queue (praying hard):s13::s13:

Thanks for your info though :s12::s13:

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
In terms of "hidden" charges, you'll most likely have to pay the credit card surcharge (I think 1.5%?). Apart from that, just check your invoice carefully with Hertz at the counter before you leave. They have a pretty dodgy IT system, and sometimes gives you a different price from what you have booked. Also, they might sometimes try to sneak in an excess deduction even though you didn't book it with that option. Other things to look out for are toll payments (they probably wouldn't do that in Perth), and they might have accidentally ticked the prepaid full tank of fuel option.

I rent quite often so I generally notice any discrepancies very quickly, but I would suggest you to have a print out of what you have booked with the full price, and compared it to the actual invoice on the spot. There may be a few dollars different, but any larger difference should be queried on the spot. The counter staff will probably look at you weirdly for doing so, but it is your money.

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
icic. Not much different from the 5 seater I Guess. Just got the extra seat behind.
Tried the 5 seater x trail last year when in Perth.
Was looking for a bigger option for this year trip for 5 ppl... thought kluger will be a better choice

It is a 7-seater X-Trail.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got experience renting the Toyota kluger?

Rented two from a Fremantle outlet. They are 2WD only (stingy rental coy didnt want to pay extra for 4WD option) but no issues going on unpaved/gravel roads.

Plenty of boot space is available with the third row down. For ur party of 5 pax i'll say this is good if there's at least 3 checked-in luggage in tow

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
How about boot space with 3rd row up?
Was planing to rent a 7 seater SUV with 3 row up.. to have more space for the back ppl. More comfortable for long journey drive.

Seem kluger will be a good choice. But if given a x trail ... then it's really no point. Must well just take the 5 seater SUV.

Rented two from a Fremantle outlet. They are 2WD only (stingy rental coy didnt want to pay extra for 4WD option) but no issues going on unpaved/gravel roads.

Plenty of boot space is available with the third row down. For ur party of 5 pax i'll say this is good if there's at least 3 checked-in luggage in tow

greenhse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
icic. Not much different from the 5 seater I Guess. Just got the extra seat behind.
Tried the 5 seater x trail last year when in Perth.
Was looking for a bigger option for this year trip for 5 ppl... thought kluger will be a better choice

I have 4 adults and 2 children. 3rd row half seat fold, can put 2 x 29", 1 x 22" and 2 cabin size luggage.

I guess IMAX is better if you prefer bigger size.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about boot space with 3rd row up?
Was planing to rent a 7 seater SUV with 3 row up.. to have more space for the back ppl. More comfortable for long journey drive.

Seem kluger will be a good choice. But if given a x trail ... then it's really no point. Must well just take the 5 seater SUV.

Here's an image of the boot space

2014-Toyota-Kluger-Grande-min-cargo-space.jpg

U can fold half the 3rd row down.. but third row legroom not very good..

PS: The rental units should have the 3.5L engine. Plenty of power but expect 7-10km/l only depending on ur foot

Quasar

Reaction score
Better to opt for the pay now and save a bit ?

Depends on how far out your trip is. Prices always change and they may move up or down if you book months ahead. If you are renting next week then lock in your price and try to save a bit pre-paying.

Otherwise I would advise to just reserve and hunt for new codes along the way to get more discounts. Cancellations are free if not pre-paid.

lastkopek

Reaction score
No birds is the best for me bayswater

Im going for this no bird this coming week. Booked a rav4. This is the only rental company without email. All enquiry either u call or need to go thru the web question form.Very leceh.

Those who book this co better check price once a while b4 your trip.i found out my rental pricing is lower. Lucky save 50 bux.

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank.
Was trying to look for those 7 seater MPV like Toyota Valfire / wish but nothing available

Here's an image of the boot space

2014-Toyota-Kluger-Grande-min-cargo-space.jpg

U can fold half the 3rd row down.. but third row legroom not very good..

PS: The rental units should have the 3.5L engine. Plenty of power but expect 7-10km/l only depending on ur foot

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.