Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch4ngs7er

Reaction score
I have some questions regarding travelling around Kyoto itself.

As per typical itinerary, say I dedicate a day for east Kyoto, starting from Kiyomizudera, is it easy to travel by foot and hit the major tourist sites around that area? Are there signs/maps around? Or would most people travel by bus?

Any guides or maps on this?

Thank you.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have some questions regarding travelling around Kyoto itself.

As per typical itinerary, say I dedicate a day for east Kyoto, starting from Kiyomizudera, is it easy to travel by foot and hit the major tourist sites around that area? Are there signs/maps around? Or would most people travel by bus?

Any guides or maps on this?

Thank you.
Can walk till ginkakuji side, quite a distance but some ppl prefer walking. Will you have data on the go?

There are similar questions on japan guide forum.

Can take bus also. If you have 3-4 pax, it's worthwhile to take cab.

Bryson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll be heading to Osaka Japan this May with my family of 5.
Just a question which I'm unsure as of now, hope you can help me out here.
I'll be located at Namba in Osaka, would be going Kyoto, Nara, USJ those few days. Regarding the rail pass, I've came across on Changi Recommends website and plan to get the JR West Pass for my family. During my trip there, I would need to travel from Osaka to Shizuoka for 1 day alone.
My question is, would it be cheaper to get the JR West Pass locally and get the separate shinkansen ticket when I'm in Japan or JR Pass Ordinary / JR Pass Green locally instead?

IMANOOB

Reaction score
Hi, i will be in japan from 12 - 29 may. Im planning to visit mountains to see greenery on 17th - 18th may.

I initially wanted to visit tateyama in 18th may, but from what i understand it will still be covered in snow. I find it hard ti justify going to toyama just to see the snow wall and kurobe gorge scenic railway.

Another kind forumer had suggested that i go to happo ike in hakuba, but how is the situation there? Still covered in snow as well?

I might want to cancel my toyama booking for 3 days just to extend 1 night in tokyo and takayama.

ch4ngs7er

Reaction score
Can walk till ginkakuji side, quite a distance but some ppl prefer walking. Will you have data on the go?

There are similar questions on japan guide forum.

Can take bus also. If you have 3-4 pax, it's worthwhile to take cab.

Unfortunately, during the Kyoto portion of the trip won't have access to data on the go so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

I guess cab is an option since it's 4 pax and likely more worth compared to bus?

I don't mind just taking the time to walk and enjoy the sights as long as it's not easy to get lost.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, during the Kyoto portion of the trip won't have access to data on the go so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

I guess cab is an option since it's 4 pax and likely more worth compared to bus?

I don't mind just taking the time to walk and enjoy the sights as long as it's not easy to get lost.

Use the old school paper map and compass. There are signs all around to guide you too. Its hard to get lost. Wasted a bit of legwork and diversion maybe, but get lost is hard.

http://www.scoutsociety.org/repository/orienteering/Finding-North.html
http://www.scoutsociety.org/repository/orienteering/Map-Orientation.html

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll be heading to Osaka Japan this May with my family of 5.
Just a question which I'm unsure as of now, hope you can help me out here.
I'll be located at Namba in Osaka, would be going Kyoto, Nara, USJ those few days. Regarding the rail pass, I've came across on Changi Recommends website and plan to get the JR West Pass for my family. During my trip there, I would need to travel from Osaka to Shizuoka for 1 day alone.
My question is, would it be cheaper to get the JR West Pass locally and get the separate shinkansen ticket when I'm in Japan or JR Pass Ordinary / JR Pass Green locally instead?

answered via phone

[Audrey]

Reaction score
Freepass can buy in advance. Only available at Odakyu offices at Shinjuku and Odawara. Their vending machines also sells the free passes. But only at Odakyu stns. Do you pass by any of their station before your hakone trip? Or just buy on the day itself, vending machines are always operating.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/traffic/railmap/pdf/odakyu-line-route-map.pdf

Thanks for your reply :o:)

So although they say can buy Hakone Free Pass in Shinjuku, they mean to buy the tickets at Odakyu section, from Odakyu vending machines in Shinjuku Station, AND NOT at any vending machines in Shinjuku?

cuz the station is complicated, I scared if i were to buy the HFP on the same morning I take RomanceCar, and if i cannot find, I might miss the train cuz it is pretty early, and whole station is crowded with many working people.

I am not sure if the Odakyu vending machines selling HFP is close to RomanceCar platform or not. :o

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it is sold over the counter from my memory, you just need to go to Shinjuku station, Odakyu line. Look for sign boards pointing you in that direction

I know the station is a bit complicated but it is really just different operators. Just don't tap into any gate unless you are sure it is the line operator you want

Do not be scared to ask the station staff if they are the people you are looking for. A good tip is to show them the Hakone Free pass picture or site. They will know what you are looking for pretty easy.

[Audrey]

Reaction score
Read that Japanese don't like people who share meals in their restaurants.

How true is this? Maybe different restaurants have different rules?

For example, lets say Kaiseki meals in Kyoto, each person must order 1 set is it? It is damn expensive as I went to research what it is and also the price. :o like a few items only and at least S$100. or am I wrong

If there are 3 people, can order 2 sets, and some side dishes or not? Will they kp you? lol. cuz maybe one person doesn't eat much. Just an example.

Then for those that sell a mix of Japanese cuisine such as ramen, tempura, sukiyaki, sushi, etc etc. This kind they won't be so calculative right. Last time I went to Tokyo and Osaka, so far nobody got comment that each diner must die die order 1 set.

[Audrey]

Reaction score
it is sold over the counter from my memory, you just need to go to Shinjuku station, Odakyu line. Look for sign boards pointing you in that direction

I know the station is a bit complicated but it is really just different operators. Just don't tap into any gate unless you are sure it is the line operator you want

Do not be scared to ask the station staff if they are the people you are looking for. A good tip is to show them the Hakone Free pass picture or site. They will know what you are looking for pretty easy.

hahaha.. because there was a year, my ex and I took quite some time to find the Odakyu Sightseeing Service Centre in Shinjuku Station. It is just a small counter.

and also we lost a return limousine ticket there (actually my ex kept it in bag but i kena scolded a bit). so somehow, I rem that and got some 阴影 in Shinjuku Station lor :o:s13:

Thanks~ I won't be able to buy from the counter cuz my RomanceCar is 7.27am and counter hasn't opened yet. So need to try to find the vending machines before boarding. Hope the platform is just close by.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :o:)

So although they say can buy Hakone Free Pass in Shinjuku, they mean to buy the tickets at Odakyu section, from Odakyu vending machines in Shinjuku Station, AND NOT at any vending machines in Shinjuku?

cuz the station is complicated, I scared if i were to buy the HFP on the same morning I take RomanceCar, and if i cannot find, I might miss the train cuz it is pretty early, and whole station is crowded with many working people.

I am not sure if the Odakyu vending machines selling HFP is close to RomanceCar platform or not. :o

yes, get Odakyu tickets/freepasses at Odakyu side of Shinjuku. Even their department store also at the same side. Like a Odakyu territory like that
https://www.shinjukustation.com/shinjuku-station-map-finding-your-way/
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/traffic/shinjuku/station/

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, airbnb safe in osaka? any to recommend for 4 people? Thanks.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read that Japanese don't like people who share meals in their restaurants.

How true is this? Maybe different restaurants have different rules?

For example, lets say Kaiseki meals in Kyoto, each person must order 1 set is it? It is damn expensive as I went to research what it is and also the price. :o like a few items only and at least S$100. or am I wrong

If there are 3 people, can order 2 sets, and some side dishes or not? Will they kp you? lol. cuz maybe one person doesn't eat much. Just an example.

Then for those that sell a mix of Japanese cuisine such as ramen, tempura, sukiyaki, sushi, etc etc. This kind they won't be so calculative right. Last time I went to Tokyo and Osaka, so far nobody got comment that each diner must die die order 1 set.

kaiseki is like fine dining, so it's like asking will you share food when you go for fine dining for special occasions? plus each dish/serving might be small to share. maybe you can do lunch instead, might be able to find under S$100 for lunch.

those high end ones probably they won't allow cos limited seats and they already purchase/prepare that amount of food already. haha AHSS can answer your question better. =:p

other places should be fine, don't think they are like HK whereby everyone must order 1 item. but read before for tsukiji, they might not like if not everyone orders if the places got limited seats (some ppl don't eat seafood/fish).

Last edited:

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
kaiseki is like fine dining, so it's like asking will you share food when you go for fine dining for special occasions? plus each dish/serving might be small to share. maybe you can do lunch instead, might be able to find under S$100 for lunch.

those high end ones probably they won't allow cos limited seats and they already purchase/prepare that amount of food already. haha AHSS can answer your question better. =:p

other places should be fine, don't think they are like HK whereby everyone must order 1 item. but read before for tsukiji, they might not like if not everyone orders if they places got limited seats (some ppl don't eat seafood/fish).

Then if those ramen shops but only order 1 bowl (for 2person) how?

Sent from zhuzhu using GAGT

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then if those ramen shops but only order 1 bowl (for 2person) how?

Sent from zhuzhu using GAGT
You will feel weird or embarrassed one lah. Unless they have plenty of seats and no business, probably they wont mind you occupying the seats and show an illusion of crowdedness. But you wont enter this kind of shop in the first place right?

But some may even shout at you if they are really pissed. Anyway, do as the Roman do, if you see lots of local sharing one bowl of ramen, then it should be alright. If none are doing it, then dont. Why not ordering different flavour or type of food? And order the smallest one u can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.