SUSS July 2017 Intake (Formerly UniSIM)

sostressed

Reaction score
Hello there!

Just received the offer for marketing for this year intake.

Interview wise,you will be given a topic to research on prior to the interview. From there,you will be given another article related to the topic and you are expected to present your thoughts and views on the issue. Group interview is simple,just discuss freely about the topic given before the interview while a lecturer is there to observe. The last phase is a one on one interview.

Hope that helps. :)

Was the interview very difficult? Especially the essay.

Rainbow1112

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how the interview like for PT business program? Group or individual interview?

I have booked the interview next Tues at 10.30

Last edited:

mgic92

Reaction score
I went for PT Biz Analytics interview last month. It was pretty casual like most seniors described. You will be task to fill up a form asking why you choose this course etc..

etudeofsunshine

Reaction score
I applied for FT Marketing on 13 March and still waiting for a call for interview... I have a 3.09 CGPA. Don't know if I still have a chance but does anyone know when is the cut off date where they'll stop contacting for an interview?

Thinking of applying for a job if my uni applications doesn't get accepted :(

SevenSeals

Master Member
Reaction score
I applied for FT Marketing on 13 March and still waiting for a call for interview... I have a 3.09 CGPA. Don't know if I still have a chance but does anyone know when is the cut off date where they'll stop contacting for an interview?

Thinking of applying for a job if my uni applications doesn't get accepted :(

not so fast la. I got my call up like in april. 3.09 cutting it close though. can try part time programmes.

etudeofsunshine

Reaction score
not so fast la. I got my call up like in april. 3.09 cutting it close though. can try part time programmes.
Not qualified for PT programmes now :( A bit worried cos almost everyone got called up within a week of their application that's why, but thanks!

supernatural

Reaction score
Hello! Just here to share my interview process which took place on 8th March 2017. I am a poly grad with CGPA of 3.52 (5th Sem) applying Business Analytics as my first choice.

Prior to the Full- Time interview, I was given a topic and youtube video to research on (Does Giving Animals More Rights Improve the Quality of Human Life?).

Interview Day

My slot was at 2pm, I arrived at around 1.30pm and changed into formal wear and went to register myself. Once I was done, I was given a black clipboard that contained my index number & pin, a passage for the essay & group discussion and a feedback form. Then we were guided to one of the computer labs where we were told to sit according to our index number for the written essay & cognitive test. As there was some time left before 2pm, we were told to read the article & scribble our research on the papers given as it was a closed-book essay.

1. Essay

We were told to write the main point of passage and our point of view on it and were given 30 mins to get it done. My passage was an online article which I happened to google it after the interview.(PM me if you want the link, I don't have sufficient post count to post the link :sad:)

2. Cognitive Test

The Cognitive test consist of 50 multiple choice questions and we given 12 Mins to complete as much questions as possible. There questions consist of language, patterns and math, there will be some sample questions to try first before starting.

Here are some example of the questions:

What come next in the sequence?

5 10 15 __ 25 30

a) 7 b) 18 c) 20 d) 19

Whats the opposite meaning of the word underlined below?

I am a happy girl.

a) Cheerful b) Joyful c) Jovial d) Sad

3. Group Interview

We were led to one of the tutorial rooms on the 7th floor and were split according to our index number (Eg. 1-5, 6-10). The Professor gave us 1 Min each to express our views on the topic after that it is open to anyone to continue on. Whenever the professor thinks that a person is not speaking up, he will step in and prompt that person to talk. The professor wrapped the discussion asking us our final opinions.

4. Individual Interview

We were led to the other side of the level and were asked to sit outside the tutorial room. My Interviewers were very funny as they joked among themselves and it was like a chit-chat session. They mostly asked about volunteering, CIP stuffs and previous work experience. Lastly one of the interviewer asked if I know what was UniSIM Education Philosophy (The 3Hs), I shook my head and he proceeded to explain it.

After the interview, we were led back to the computer lab to debrief and were told that our results will be out in 4 weeks time.

To answer to your question, I think that the essay was pretty difficult for me as I am an IT student that have not written an essay for the past 3 years and I don't have a good command of english thus I was really struggling on that part. When I looked around the room, I saw most of the candidates have written almost a full page and I was still stuck at the first paragraph. I doubt I would get accepted cause I think I did quite badly as a whole. 😂 Nonetheless, this is just my 2 cents worth of thoughts and it might be different for you. I think you'll be fine as long as you prepare well for the topic.

If you don't mind me asking how is the Admission Interview process like? (since i have been shortlisted for an interview as well >< and would like to understand more)

- As you mentioned, you were given an article to write an essay about. Was the article related to recent singapore news or from news outlets etc? Also, did your research done from the youtube video helped you?

- For the group discussion, was there only one professor around to conduct the discussion or a few present?

- As for the individual interview, how many interviewers were there during the interview? Did they ask other questions other than volunteering, work exp etc? Eg. "what are your strengths and weakness" kinds of question.

Would appreciate your valuable insights and advice! And hoping that you get a placement in due time! :)

If anyone wants to share their interview experience please feel free to do so! :>

L0sts0ul234

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking how is the Admission Interview process like? (since i have been shortlisted for an interview as well >< and would like to understand more)

- As you mentioned, you were given an article to write an essay about. Was the article related to recent singapore news or from news outlets etc? Also, did your research done from the youtube video helped you?

- For the group discussion, was there only one professor around to conduct the discussion or a few present?

- As for the individual interview, how many interviewers were there during the interview? Did they ask other questions other than volunteering, work exp etc? Eg. "what are your strengths and weakness" kinds of question.

Would appreciate your valuable insights and advice! And hoping that you get a placement in due time! :)

If anyone wants to share their interview experience please feel free to do so! :>

I've went for my FT interview on Wednesday. My article was from Straits Times. Honestly I felt that the video wasn't very relevant to the article. You can just register early on the day of the interview (report 30-45mins beforehand) and get the article early to do some simple research before the essay test starts. The earlier you reach, the more time you have to prepare

For my group discussion there was only one prof. The prof just asked us to discuss about the topic amongst ourselves while she just stood by and watched.

For the individual interview, they asked general questions as well e.g. Why SUSS, strength and weakness, they might ask about your essay (the one you wrote for your application) and why did you put the course as your first choice etc.

Anyway I heard that early childhood education interview is not held individually but rather as a group. Heard this from one of the interviewees who went that day (not sure if it's true)

jubjubjo

Reaction score
I've went for my FT interview on Wednesday. My article was from Straits Times. Honestly I felt that the video wasn't very relevant to the article. You can just register early on the day of the interview (report 30-45mins beforehand) and get the article early to do some simple research before the essay test starts. The earlier you reach, the more time you have to prepare

For my group discussion there was only one prof. The prof just asked us to discuss about the topic amongst ourselves while she just stood by and watched.

For the individual interview, they asked general questions as well e.g. Why SUSS, strength and weakness, they might ask about your essay (the one you wrote for your application) and why did you put the course as your first choice etc.

Anyway I heard that early childhood education interview is not held individually but rather as a group. Heard this from one of the interviewees who went that day (not sure if it's true)

Hi! I have a few questions regarding the interview and I hope you would help me out :)

1. During the essay writing, are we allowed to bring in any notes to help us with the essay writing component?

2. During the group discussion, how far will the discussion deviate away from the main topic?

3. Is it better if we prepare news/case examples globally/locally?

Thank you in advance! :D

L0sts0ul234

Reaction score
Hi! I have a few questions regarding the interview and I hope you would help me out :)

1. During the essay writing, are we allowed to bring in any notes to help us with the essay writing component?

2. During the group discussion, how far will the discussion deviate away from the main topic?

3. Is it better if we prepare news/case examples globally/locally?

Thank you in advance! :D

1. You are only allowed to refer to the given article during the essay test. However if you want to utilise the notes you've brought, you can only copy all of them down on the piece of article given before the test starts.

2. I don't think the discussion will actually deviate from the topic? At least for my group it didn't!

3. Honestly I think it depends on the article given? If the article is in Singapore context, perhaps SG example will be more relevant? Honestly, I think you'll do just fine as long as your example is logical/ if you speak up. The prof just wants to see your communication skills/ participation level

sostressed

Reaction score
1. You are only allowed to refer to the given article during the essay test. However if you want to utilise the notes you've brought, you can only copy all of them down on the piece of article given before the test starts.

2. I don't think the discussion will actually deviate from the topic? At least for my group it didn't!

3. Honestly I think it depends on the article given? If the article is in Singapore context, perhaps SG example will be more relevant? Honestly, I think you'll do just fine as long as your example is logical/ if you speak up. The prof just wants to see your communication skills/ participation level

Is there space on the back of the article to copy down? Or do you know how much space we have to write our notes?

L0sts0ul234

Reaction score
Is there space on the back of the article to copy down? Or do you know how much space we have to write our notes?

It depends on the length of the article. They won't intentionally leave you spaces for you to write your notes. If you're unlucky and your article takes up one full page, you just have to squeeze in your notes/ just key points around the article somehow. (Eg. In between the lines/paragraph/ at the corners). If you're lucky, the article takes up, e.g. 1.5 pages, you got 0.5 left to write your notes.

Rainbow1112

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just went for the interview for PT business.

It's a group interview with head of Dept.
Was ask to fill up a form with 3 question. 1) Why did you choose to study at this of your career
2) what did you choose SUSS
3) what do you expect to learn from this programme

With only self introduction and Dept head explaining about the programme etc.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score

Was ask to fill up a form with 3 question. 1) Why did you choose to study at this of your career

Now part time degree also group interview ?

neemo737

Reaction score
I am going for the interview next week. Was still worried what it's gonna be about.

choqolat

Reaction score
difference between PT and FT Prog

Is it true that most (if not all) part time programmes for SUSS are non-honours? And even if they are w/o honours, does the honours ranking really matter? Thanks :)

ivan309

Reaction score
I went for PT Biz Analytics interview last month. It was pretty casual like most seniors described. You will be task to fill up a form asking why you choose this course etc..

hi there, can you describe a bit on what you experienced? like group interview, or the questions asked etc.

rainbowplugs

Reaction score
Is it true that most (if not all) part time programmes for SUSS are non-honours? And even if they are w/o honours, does the honours ranking really matter? Thanks :)

Yes, some part-time programmes do not offer honours. It really depends on what kind of career you are looking at? If the job min requirements do not require honours then it does not really make a difference. Some government positions require honours. I suggest you do more research on the career you intend to pursue so you will make a more well-informed decision :D

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.