OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already booked ticket to go Germany this year end, trip planned as below:

1. First 3 nights: Munich
2. 4th night: Berchtesgadener
3. 5th night: Hallstatt
4. 6th night: Cresky Krumlove
5. 7th night: Prague(will take a flight to Cologne)
6. 8th night : Cologne
7. 9th night : Cologne(fly back Sg via Düsseldorf Airport)

Should I assign more nights for Prague and cut my days in Cologne?
Is it too rush to cover so many places?

Creative

Reaction score
Already booked ticket to go Germany this year end, trip planned as below:

1. First 3 nights: Munich
2. 4th night: Berchtesgadener
3. 5th night: Hallstatt
4. 6th night: Cresky Krumlove
5. 7th night: Prague(will take a flight to Cologne)
6. 8th night : Cologne
7. 9th night : Cologne(fly back Sg via Düsseldorf Airport)

Should I assign more nights for Prague and cut my days in Cologne?
Is it too rush to cover so many places?

Hi there,

Just came back from my Europe trip last month.
You can plan not to stay too long in Munich as there is nothing much to do over there. Maybe 1 night in Munich and 1 night in Berchtesgardener if you want.
For myself, I stayed 2 nights in Munich and I just did a day trip to Berchetesgardener - beautiful lake and scenery, plus you can visit the salt mine which is 500 years old over there.
As for Hallstatt, its really a beautiful place which I stayed 1 night and I kinda regret not allocating more nights at there. You may wish to stay 2 nights in Hallstatt instead?
Btw, train to Hallstatt arrive on time for you to board but half of the journey, it slowed down and got a slight delay, but the ferry across will wait. On the way back from Hallstatt, the train got delayed and worst, it broke down and I miss my next connecting train. You might want to allocate a longer transit train for this purpose from hallstatt to cresky krumlove?

Sorry, I have no ideas for the other places as I did not travel to the rest of the places you have mentioned.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
You have to factor in how you are moving between each place and also the time it will take. If you're driving, you're talking about rather long drives so after the drive you're going to be relatively tired. With a change of destination every day that is going to add up.

If you're going to train, how long is it going to take? Direct trains or you have to change? What time do you leave / arrive? cuz you factor that in and you will hardly have any time at all at any of the places. At most half a day.

Also, if it's winter, remember that it gets dark early. Also, weather related delays often occur. Personally, I think the schedule's a bit too packed.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right, I am doing my replanning now. I realize my plan is too ambitious

You have to factor in how you are moving between each place and also the time it will take. If you're driving, you're talking about rather long drives so after the drive you're going to be relatively tired. With a change of destination every day that is going to add up.

If you're going to train, how long is it going to take? Direct trains or you have to change? What time do you leave / arrive? cuz you factor that in and you will hardly have any time at all at any of the places. At most half a day.

Also, if it's winter, remember that it gets dark early. Also, weather related delays often occur. Personally, I think the schedule's a bit too packed.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. This time round, may not go Austria. I am changing my plan to Switzerland instead and stay one place with more days.

Hi there,

You can plan not to stay too long in Munich as there is nothing much to do over there. Maybe 1 night in Munich and 1 night in Berchtesgardener if you want.
For myself, I stayed 2 nights in Munich and I just did a day trip to Berchetesgardener - beautiful lake and scenery, plus you can visit the salt mine which is 500 years old over there.
As for Hallstatt, its really a beautiful place which I stayed 1 night and I kinda regret not allocating more nights at there. You may wish to stay 2 nights in Hallstatt instead?
Btw, train to Hallstatt arrive on time for you to board but half of the journey, it slowed down and got a slight delay, but the ferry across will wait. On the way back from Hallstatt, the train got delayed and worst, it broke down and I miss my next connecting train. You might want to allocate a longer transit train for this purpose from hallstatt to cresky krumlove?

Sorry, I have no ideas for the other places as I did not travel to the rest of the places you have mentioned.

lunafan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm planning a similar itinerary as TS and also staying Munich for 3 days.
Reason is to do day trips to Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof. Still trying to figure out whether there is a better base perhaps in Fussen or Mittenwald where I can move on to Berchtesgaden easily.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi after some consideration, I changed my plan to Germany Switzerland already. :)
Stay Munich for 2 nights. One day is to go neuschwanstein and another day city day trip. :)
Then travel south to Zurich for half day trip and travel further to Lucerne. :)

Reason is to do day trips to Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof. Still trying to figure out whether there is a better base perhaps in Fussen or Mittenwald where I can move on to Berchtesgaden easily.

Creative

Reaction score

You just need a day for Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof castle viewing. Its very majestic inside but cant take photos inside:(

Mine was first day touch down Munich at 6am and spend the rest of whole day roaming around, 2nd day to Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof and third day took train to salzburg. :D At salzburg i stay more night and spend one day taking the day tour to Berchtesgarden where i went to the salt mine.

Creative

Reaction score
Hi after some consideration, I changed my plan to Germany Switzerland already. :)
Stay Munich for 2 nights. One day is to go neuschwanstein and another day city day trip. :)
Then travel south to Zurich for half day trip and travel further to Lucerne. :)

I did cover Zurich during my last month trip to Europe. IMO Zurich there is also nothing much, you can try going to Lucerne instead. The lake is stunning and you may consider going to Zermatt and Jungfraujoch if in Switerzland. Get the swiss pass so you have more savings. For Zermatt, no issues as your swiss pass can get you there, however Jungfraujoch you have to buy additional tickets on top of your swiss pass to make it to the top of the alp.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What I have planned so far:
1. Munich 2 nights
2. Lucerne 3 nights
3. Interlaken 2 nights
4. Bern 1 night
5. Cologne 1 night

Plan to do some shopping in Zurich. Will the price in Lucerne cheaper?

I plan to buy half fare card then purchase super saver tickets in Swiss. Heard the savings is more significant.

I did cover Zurich during my last month trip to Europe. IMO Zurich there is also nothing much, you can try going to Lucerne instead. The lake is stunning and you may consider going to Zermatt and Jungfraujoch if in Switerzland. Get the swiss pass so you have more savings. For Zermatt, no issues as your swiss pass can get you there, however Jungfraujoch you have to buy additional tickets on top of your swiss pass to make it to the top of the alp.

galacticnick

Reaction score
What I have planned so far:
1. Munich 2 nights
2. Lucerne 3 nights
3. Interlaken 2 nights
4. Bern 1 night
5. Cologne 1 night

Plan to do some shopping in Zurich. Will the price in Lucerne cheaper?

I plan to buy half fare card then purchase super saver tickets in Swiss. Heard the savings is more significant.

I would devote more nights to Bernese Oberland (Interlarken). Skip Bern and Cologne - they're boring.

Not sure what you intend to buy, but if it can be found in Germany, get it in Munich.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cologne is a must to have, coz I will need to depart from there and back to Singapore.

My first time to Europe, Bern not worth staying in your opinion?
Which other place can I go besides Bern?

I would devote more nights to Bernese Oberland (Interlarken). Skip Bern and Cologne - they're boring.

Not sure what you intend to buy, but if it can be found in Germany, get it in Munich.

galacticnick

Reaction score
Cologne is a must to have, coz I will need to depart from there and back to Singapore.

My first time to Europe, Bern not worth staying in your opinion?
Which other place can I go besides Bern?

okay, so you're flying into munich and out of cologne. it's really odd to be visiting switzerland, as it is really out of the way. if switzerland is not a must, why don't you focus on germany and austria?

last december, i spent a week visiting bavaria, while based in munich and nuremberg for three nights each. I also stopped over in cologne for an afternoon enroute to brussels. cologne's only attraction is the cathedral, which is just outside the train station.

it wasn't a very interesting week.

if i could do it all over again, i would go directly to salzburg (less than two hours away by train from munich) for a few days, return to munich for a night or two, head up to berlin for yet a few more nights and return to cologne to catch the flight home (in your case).

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zurich ticket fully redeemed for my travel period and wife likes Swiss. :)

okay, so you're flying into munich and out of cologne. it's really odd to be visiting switzerland, as it is really out of the way. if switzerland is not a must, why don't you focus on germany and austria?

last december, i spent a week visiting bavaria, while based in munich and nuremberg for three nights each. I also stopped over in cologne for an afternoon enroute to brussels. cologne's only attraction is the cathedral, which is just outside the train station.

it wasn't a very interesting week.

if i could do it all over again, i would go directly to salzburg (less than two hours away by train from munich) for a few days, return to munich for a night or two, head up to berlin for yet a few more nights and return to cologne to catch the flight home (in your case).

Happylady

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hi, do you mind to share with me your itinerary? I would like travel to Germany and Austria. This is my first time go Europe, a bit blur.... Thanks

cutieboy86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

can share your itinerary? planning to travel around munich, austria and hungary or with czech republic

wongtjn

Reaction score
Hi all, which hotel did you stay in Munich ? Any recommendation for hotel/area ?
Can get around S$150 /nite for 1 pax with breakfast ?
Plan to do a day trip to Neuschwanstein too, and another day to see Munich itself.
Thanks in advanced.

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You just need a day for Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof castle viewing. Its very majestic inside but cant take photos inside:(

Mine was first day touch down Munich at 6am and spend the rest of whole day roaming around, 2nd day to Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Linderhof and third day took train to salzburg. :D At salzburg i stay more night and spend one day taking the day tour to Berchtesgarden where i went to the salt mine.
Hihi, website says have to join guided tour to get inside. Can i self drive and buy tickets and guided tour at the entrance? Or need to pre book before hand?

Tia

Sent from Xiaomi MI A2 LITE using GAGT

DavidC9199

Reaction score
Same planning trip as topic, Munich - Salzburg - Prague.

Usual tourist spot for Salzburg is Hallstatt and Konigssee.

Current plan,
Day 1 touch down in Munich and rush to Salzburg.

Day 2 Konigssee

Day 3 Hallstatt stay overnight

Day 4 to day 6 Prague

Day 7 and 8 Munich and fly back.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.