HWZ AMD Ryzen R5 Owners Klub

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol. But really, its just 2 cores disabled from r7 series. Still with the "bridge". So im pretty sure it will perform the same lol. Not unless heavily multi threaded workload then probably yes it wont work as well as r7 series. Gaming wise it should be the same.

Who knows? Scali can unlock the 2 cores and it become a r7? Lol

What is interesting is the 4c8t. Wanna see how their 4c8t 1400 works without the bridge. Will it solve all the ram frequency issues etc?

1400 is 1CCX SKU? Not severely cutted down 2 CCX R7 octo core die?

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1400 is 1CCX SKU? Not severely cutted down 2 CCX R7 octo core die?

requote
Anandtech says they have confirmation that 6C12T = 3+3 ccx, 4C8T = 2+2 ccx.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11202/amd-announces-ryzen-5-april-11th
We have confirmation from AMD that there are no silly games going to be played with Ryzen 5. The six-core parts will be a strict 3+3 combination, while the four-core parts will use 2+2. This will be true across all CPUs, ensuring a consistent performance throughout.

If your product is good, you name it R1 people will still buy...

Should name them summit ridge all RX-7, 8, 9.

So car buyers will incidentally chance upon Ryzen. Good marketing. :crazy:

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw some of you talk abt the ryzen memory problem... what exactly is it?

hohohos

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you use your pc for gaming only....i5 7600k with a hyper 212 is still a better combo.....
I'm a intel supporter but I want AMD to be successful

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PCT doesnt have the 1500X listed

guess i'll buy 1600 next week lel :crazy:

/unless reviews reveal that 8MB L3 Cache doesnt have much of an impact and that Wraith Stealth is a decent cooler

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

QIy9zcO.jpg

Yah, sometimes can also be faster than 12C/24T Xeons too. =:p

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am more interested to see how these Ryzen 5 compares with those clock speed-locked Intel Core i5 of the same price range

daniel798

Reaction score
Wow, so much interest in B350 mobos esp. from Asus... :eek:

Gut feeling is current Asus R&D seems tightly focused on X370 models especially ROG so B350 models are lagging behind cos this is a totally new platform (OK, maybe ~1 month old in retail).

Advice - presently better to get ROG or at least another X370 if you can up the budget.

HTH

Looking to get mATX so no choice

Are you suggesting getting X370 because the bios optimizations will come first so the performance will be better or is there other reasons?

I guess most people who are getting top end systems would have gotten X370 with Ryzen 7 instead. Ryzen 5 is more budget builds which do not need X370.

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For tower heatsinks, any issue with the fan pointing the wrong way?

I remember for some AMD motherboards, the fan has to blow from down to up, rather than from right to left.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking to get mATX so no choice

Are you suggesting getting X370 because the bios optimizations will come first so the performance will be better or is there other reasons?

I guess most people who are getting top end systems would have gotten X370 with Ryzen 7 instead. Ryzen 5 is more budget builds which do not need X370.
From my reading, the B350 models are rather lacking in BIOS options and updates are also slower to come by... so YMMV. No hands on experience though, just a cautionary note.

For tower heatsinks, any issue with the fan pointing the wrong way?

I remember for some AMD motherboards, the fan has to blow from down to up, rather than from right to left.
The Zalman tower cooler seems to cool well enough leh. :)

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am waiting for X300 to come to pair with R5 1600/R7 1800 :s13:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw some of you talk abt the ryzen memory problem... what exactly is it?

Basically if you throw it a piece of code that isn't specifically optimized of Ryzen dual-CCX architecture (e.g. 99.99% of all the amateur programs out there and a good % of professional codes) the L3 cache goes "hurr durr" and people cry out "low performance"

Easier to explain with die shots. The below one is of Skylake.

800px-kaby_lake_%28quad_core%29_%28annotated%29.png

And this one is for Ryzen.
xtbvmx9axihy.jpg

Note how the L3 cache is distributed. Basically it is slower if it needs to get data from the other group of cache.

Of course, why nobody ever complained about this on multi-die / multi-cpu systems like since multi-die / multi-cpu ever existed, is a big fat mystery, like somehow when this happens within die level instead of outside then "omg the program is not optimized I'm unfairly suffering lower performance".

Oh wait, I remember why. Because people accepted the fact that each CPU or GPU core only gets guaranteed performance from their own dedicated cache amount. Oh look at the datasheet it says 2 x 8MB right there.

And also, the Windows scheduler patch that people have been asking for has already been released last month and nobody seemed to have given a shyt nor written an article about it. What's interesting is that AMD has already said it isn't Windows at fault but people don't listen.

In short, if anybody else mentions the cache issue, show them this comic.

1447860228-20151118.png

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Zalman tower cooler seems to cool well enough leh. :)

Mine's an old Prolimatech Megahalem. Just found out I'd need to purchase brackets for Am2/Am3.

Which costs SGD40 from eBay after shipping. Or I wait for performance-pcs MO.

Oh well...Sux.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The R5 1600 has a soldered IHS and runs really cool even when overclocked so any half decent HSF should suffice.

Hey, check out these load temps with just a Zalman HSF =:p

247%2B%2528Copy%2529.PNG

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.