Starhub ending their cable broadband by end next year

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly, at this point, they're most likely simply trying to defray the cost of running the cable infrastructure until their contract expires.

True la. Actually Starhub should not stop cable broadband.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True la. Actually Starhub should not stop cable broadband.
Greedy idiots will end up shooting themselves in the foot. They are so confident that existing starhub cable tv ppl will blindly transition to starhub fibre tv. And of course to subscribe to fibre tv u must also subscribe to starhub BB. So they probably think they are very clever by forcing ppl to sign up for starhub BB.

Only someone who has not read the tons of complaints about speed & disconnection on starhub's FB page will do that. Others will either jump to singtel BB & singel tv or to viewqwest & viewqwest tv.

So not only does starhub not get the BB subscribers they were hoping for, but they also lose their cable tv subscribers. Classic case of how greed blinds ppl and a plan to make them richer ends up making them poorer.

darren_soh86

Master Member
Reaction score
just for the record, i am having a good run with starhub, both on the fibre and cable at my inlaws place. only caveat is they are not the cheapest and they charge for voice service on the internet plan.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just for the record, i am having a good run with starhub, both on the fibre and cable at my inlaws place. only caveat is they are not the cheapest and they charge for voice service on the internet plan.

Agree that it is not the cheapest and it can be expensive if you have many TV channels bundle to their fibre boardband plan.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aeems like they have remove cable broadband offering from their website?

This is to avoid being offer as contract basis... as contract will not be renewable.

Existing cable broadband customers still able to continue to use... no longer under contract when contract expires.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea i noticed that since a couple weeks back. no more cable i guess.

Not really... their website do occasionally added &or removed items/products/services at any time... so misleading.

When i post previously there was nothing available for cable broadband as unable to find before posting.

NOW.. it is available at the Online Store page only... not sure how long it last.

Seem like Starhub website make several changes..

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really... their website do occasionally added &or removed items/products/services at any time... so misleading.

When i post previously there was nothing available for cable broadband as unable to find before posting.

NOW.. it is available at the Online Store page only... not sure how long it last.

Seem like Starhub website make several changes..

Heard that no more offering cable and users have to move to fibre. Better call Starhub to ask.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dislike their fibre..

Why dislike? With their Google wifi mesh it should be quite good. Users are using Google DNS so will not have any issue. Better move to fibre early. I think December many will be rushing to upgrade to fibre Tv so better do it early in September.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dislike their fibre..

Most likely encountered connection problems as this may depend on other factors too.

For me using Starhub since started operation, have no issue even moving from location to location including different broadband plans.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about Cable Tv?

Already Starhub is moving customers from Cable TV to IPTV Set top box with Fibre Broadband.
Offer free Fibre broadband subscription to some Cable TV subscribers;
While may offer Free IPTV for Fibre broadband subscribers, including me since end 2016.

Those who do not want to upgrade to IPTV can still continue to use Cable STB.

Existing customers on Cable STB would not be able to recontract as in term period but can continue to use even if contract expire.
As similar to Cable broadband.. no contract term.

Meanwhile they may not be offering any Cable STB for new subscriber.
But Cable STB are still available for existing subscribers.

This could means it may happen any time next year... dateline.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Price also. My fibre is $29 le. What about their cable TV.

cmdsea

Reaction score
So. A couple of years ago I tried to sign up with Starhub for the "free" fibre point installation but ended up receiving a quotation from Singtel for S$2k+ for digging up the road and vague mention of additional unspecified payments to Netlink trust for fibre optic cabling installation.... not so free after all :eek:

Since then I have been a happy cable customer, with Home broadband at $22.90 per month and Digital voice at $2.10 per month and using multiple Amazon Fire sticks to watch Netflix / Prime / UK TV channels etc...

Saw it all before in the 90's when cable was first rolled out and really not keen to spend thousands pulling fibre into my home just to have it superseded a few years in the future anyway... Just wondering what other options I might have when the plug gets pulled on cable.. Is mobile broadband a viable alternative..? Is there any way for me to find out how many Gig of data i am using every month via my cable connection. Thanks for any input.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So. A couple of years ago I tried to sign up with Starhub for the "free" fibre point installation but ended up receiving a quotation from Singtel for S$2k+ for digging up the road and vague mention of additional unspecified payments to Netlink trust for fibre optic cabling installation.... not so free after all :eek:

Since then I have been a happy cable customer, with Home broadband at $22.90 per month and Digital voice at $2.10 per month and using multiple Amazon Fire sticks to watch Netflix / Prime / UK TV channels etc...

Saw it all before in the 90's when cable was first rolled out and really not keen to spend thousands pulling fibre into my home just to have it superseded a few years in the future anyway... Just wondering what other options I might have when the plug gets pulled on cable.. Is mobile broadband a viable alternative..? Is there any way for me to find out how many Gig of data i am using every month via my cable connection. Thanks for any input.

Many years back Netlink trust launch a islandwide free installation of TP. Ever for landed house. You must have missed it so now must pay. Just pay.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.