Most recommended WiFi Mesh to expand WiFi coverage?

kapitansg

Reaction score

don't forget strategic placement! do think of some ideas to place your mesh so that when the tech comes down, you can have a more proper evaluation of the system.. :)

My layout is similar to endissorrow.. The router with the master mesh is at one end, in the living room, and the slave mesh is moving around the other end of the house, in the rooms. Depending on usage and need, have to move the slave mesh around, sometime rest it higher on a shelf, sometime on top of the desk, sometime just put it on the floor. But once the mesh starts talking to each other, the connection is smooth. And if you want to project the coverage further, further testing of placement locations have to be look at. :s13: The good thing about the mesh is that it is small and easy to carry and move around.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My layout is similar to endissorrow.. The router with the master mesh is at one end, in the living room, and the slave mesh is moving around the other end of the house, in the rooms. Depending on usage and need, have to move the slave mesh around, sometime rest it higher on a shelf, sometime on top of the desk, sometime just put it on the floor. But once the mesh starts talking to each other, the connection is smooth. And if you want to project the coverage further, further testing of placement locations have to be look at. :s13: The good thing about the mesh is that it is small and easy to carry and move around.

in mesh systems, we use the terminologies of master and satellite, not master and slave. haha. in computer hardware you can say that for HDD and the IDE cables, but now is SATA liao. :D:D

when your satellite mesh node moves, your master node needs to move as well.

Last edited:

kapitansg

Reaction score
in mesh systems, we use the terminologies of primary and secondary, not master and slave. haha. in computer hardware you can say that for HDD and the IDE cables, but now is SATA liao. :D:D

when your secondary mesh unit moves, your primary needs to move as well.

Haha... for lack of better words...maybe easier to understand..LOL.

Back to the mesh, unless I'm mistaken, the primary mesh is leashed to the router, so it stays where the router is placed.. LOL... so far I only move the secondary mesh unit around as I connects to the web while moving around the house. Last I heard, Singtel is working on the firmware where this leash is not necessary anymore and we can just plug any mesh unit into the LAN in the house. But I have not heard any update about it.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My fiber is install at that corner coz of so call no choice. More like ink to design layout of how we wan and does not wan it to interrupt other things. So no point adjust to the center middle of the house right ? Coz
Of coz I know everything must be in middle to gather all better signals mah

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha... for lack of better words...maybe easier to understand..LOL.

Back to the mesh, unless I'm mistaken, the primary mesh is leashed to the router, so it stays where the router is placed.. LOL... so far I only move the secondary mesh unit around as I connects to the web while moving around the house. Last I heard, Singtel is working on the firmware where this leash is not necessary anymore and we can just plug any mesh unit into the LAN in the house. But I have not heard any update about it.

well, until the team is ready to release the firmware update, or else none of us will know the ETA of it..

that is a good piece of news every singtel wifi mesh user is waiting for..

oohman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fp.gif

And the data point is near the front door.. i have quite AC1900 dual band router.. but there is no signal in the master room .. Will these Wifi-mesh be able to give full coverage ? I dont want to pay $10 extra every month but this wifi-mesh is not able to extend the coverage..

Any bros have tried it and it works.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fp.gif

And the data point is near the front door.. i have quite AC1900 dual band router.. but there is no signal in the master room .. Will these Wifi-mesh be able to give full coverage ? I dont want to pay $10 extra every month but this wifi-mesh is not able to extend the coverage..

Any bros have tried it and it works.
If yours comes with Ethernet points in every room, just connect the ONT to the data point box to first room.

Then from the first room, connect the output to the router, try to put on a high location closer to the door.

Your signal will be better in the MBR. Living room signal may drop but should still be usable.

Kitchen and service yard may even see a boost too! :)

Try this first before buying the mesh, it can potentially save your $240!

Sent from Redmi Note 4 MTK using GAGT

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If yours comes with Ethernet points in every room, just connect the ONT to the data point box to first room.

Then from the first room, connect the output to the router, try to put on a high location closer to the door.

Your signal will be better in the MBR. Living room signal may drop but should still be usable.

Kitchen and service yard may even see a boost too! :)

Try this first before buying the mesh, it can potentially save your $240!

Think im a little confused now.

My cousin had 2 routers at home, one set as access point. When the ISP helped him setup, they told him the router set as AP no need to connect to the ethernet port even though he had one in each room.

So in the case of mesh, the first unit of course must connect to the ONT or router but how about subsequent units? Need to connect to ethernet ports?

Based on my limited understanding, repeaters lock on to existing wifi signal then extends it. And since its locking on to existing signal so no need to connect to ethernet port. Does mesh work the same way? Lets say Singtel AirTies lah. Or will it be able to connect to ethernet port therefore doesnt really matter if there is line of sight or whether each unit's coverage radius overlaps each other?

I guess my question is, how does mesh overcome the problem with traditional extender or AP where there is no LOS or the coverage doesnt overlap resulting in blind spots?

The kiasu Sporean in me would assume buying 4 AirTies for eg to cover my 4 roomer will more than suffice but some would say its seriously overkill. Well obviously i dont want to splurge unnecessarily but if a pair of AirTies does not suffice i guess boh pian need to buy more.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think im a little confused now.

My cousin had 2 routers at home, one set as access point. When the ISP helped him setup, they told him the router set as AP no need to connect to the ethernet port even though he had one in each room.

So in the case of mesh, the first unit of course must connect to the ONT or router but how about subsequent units? Need to connect to ethernet ports?

Based on my limited understanding, repeaters lock on to existing wifi signal then extends it. And since its locking on to existing signal so no need to connect to ethernet port. Does mesh work the same way? Lets say Singtel AirTies lah. Or will it be able to connect to ethernet port therefore doesnt really matter if there is line of sight or whether each unit's coverage radius overlaps each other?

I guess my question is, how does mesh overcome the problem with traditional extender or AP where there is no LOS or the coverage doesnt overlap resulting in blind spots?

The kiasu Sporean in me would assume buying 4 AirTies for eg to cover my 4 roomer will more than suffice but some would say its seriously overkill. Well obviously i dont want to splurge unnecessarily but if a pair of AirTies does not suffice i guess boh pian need to buy more.
Repeaters don't need ethernet cable, but I think AirTies requires both AP to have Ethernet cables with the main router connecting to both, so it can get the full speed. If not it could be like repeater and speed many half.

It's unlike Velop, where there's a separate band of 5GHz, mainly for the communication between the two/three nodes. Through the dedicated 5GHz band, there's no need for Ethernet as it can be used as a link between the nodes. You can still do the ethernet link to ensure wider coverage as you can put the second / third Velop in weak coverage area instead and overlap with existing main Velop for maximum coverage.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repeaters don't need ethernet cable, but I think AirTies requires both AP to have Ethernet cables with the main router connecting to both, so it can get the full speed. If not it could be like repeater and speed many half.

It's unlike Velop, where there's a separate band of 5GHz, mainly for the communication between the two/three nodes. Through the dedicated 5GHz band, there's no need for Ethernet as it can be used as a link between the nodes. You can still do the ethernet link to ensure wider coverage as you can put the second / third Velop in weak coverage area instead and overlap with existing main Velop for maximum coverage.

Was thinking of AirTies actually. I understand not all mesh devices work the same way, apparently some are not "genuine" mesh and uses other technology but the manufacturer tries to pass them off as mesh.

After reading HWZ reviews, seems both Linkysys Velop & Airties have similar pros & cons. But main difference of course is Airties is cheaper lah.

Also I noticed the review said the best is to use the mesh nodes together with a powerful router. Wouldn't that result in 2 different SSIDs? I assume the router has its own SSID and so does the primary mesh node?

Last edited:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of AirTies actually. I understand not all mesh devices work the same way, apparently some are not "genuine" mesh and uses other technology but the manufacturer tries to pass them off as mesh.

After reading HWZ reviews, seems both Linkysys Velop & Airties have similar pros & cons. But main difference of course is Airties is cheaper lah.

Also I noticed the review said the best is to use the mesh nodes together with a powerful router. Wouldn't that result in 2 different SSIDs? I assume the router has its own SSID and so does the primary mesh node?
Good question, powerful router also means added cost, may as well get 2 ASUS AP (RT-AC1200G+ maybe) and enable the Roaming Assistant feature.

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Velop over the weekend since there was a promotion ($599 instead of the usual $749). Setting up was a breeze, totally no hiccups and everything went smooth like butter. I was using Asus RT-AC68U previously but always lose connection in certain rooms. After using Velop 3-pack, the connection was very good throughout my place. Very satisfied with the purchase. Highly recommended.

Henry Mock

Reaction score
Airties 4920

I am on the Singtel 300Mbps plan. I was using the Aztech Power Plug, achieving at best 35mbps and averaging 20mbps. After switching to Airties (2 nodes at $10 per month), speed increases to between 65mbps to 95mbps download. Considering my old laptop wireless adapter/g mode, it's doing quite well.

In conclusion, it's worth the deal.

You may get Singtel technician to get it set up and test the speed without obligation.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
I am on the Singtel 300Mbps plan. I was using the Aztech Power Plug, achieving at best 35mbps and averaging 20mbps. After switching to Airties (2 nodes at $10 per month), speed increases to between 65mbps to 95mbps download. Considering my old laptop wireless adapter/g mode, it's doing quite well.

In conclusion, it's worth the deal.

You may get Singtel technician to get it set up and test the speed without obligation.
For your use case with 802.11G wireless adapter, it is a bit overkilled on the 2 airties mesh . I think you are using better than 802.11G standard which is locked to 54MBps max .

Anyway sometimes convenient and stability are far more important than spec figures

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For your use case with 802.11G wireless adapter, it is a bit overkilled on the 2 airties mesh . I think you are using better than 802.11G standard which is locked to 54MBps max .

Anyway sometimes convenient and stability are far more important than spec figures

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

Why you dug out old threads?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.