Horizon Zero Dawn

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Platinum this too. My only criticisms are UI:
- manual way point not shown on compass bar, instead have to connect the dots step-by-step often through a long (and dangerous) route; (there's a patch yesterday that includes something about waypoint, but I already completed so didn't go check)
- have to drill down layers of menu, without option for flipping laterally
- switching weapons is tedious, should have a second weapon wheel (like Ratchet & Clank)
- cannot switch shoulder when aiming
- when aiming, often view is completely blocked by long grass or other environment elements
- cannot adjust camera sensitivity, focus mode really needs an accelerated camera movement
- when replenishing ammo/potions/traps at merchants, should have a 1-button buy all function; should allow selling ridge-wood at 0 shard, dropping them to get rid of them means dropping 100 at a time
- should automatically take ammo/potions/traps from treasure boxes
- some campfires do not remain activated (for fast travel), esp at the hunting grounds

There are a few other minor things, like some dialog spoken by NPCs don't make sense probably becos I didn't select certain dialog for Aloy earlier.

A few things I like that's done right here when other games failed:
- sometimes Aloy gets physically stuck, like between big rocks and cannot jump out, or crushed under big machine corpses after killing them, somehow the game seems to detect and after a few jump attempts it will bring you out
- if you fast travel to a location very near you, the loading is fast; the game doesn't attempt to reload everything on the nearby map when they are already in memory (unlike FFXV)
- side quests have story (kinda like witcher), not just fetch/kill only

I spent a lot of time taking pictures :s13:. Very good photo mode, especially like that you can change the time of day.

Now my PS4 wallpaper looks like this:

WPngjpm.jpg

Last edited:

blackicon

Reaction score
Does the game comes with the small booklet inside the disc cover? I open my brand new sealed and realised its missing.

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Game difficulty is good
Enemy AI is really quite intelligent

D

The saber tooth keep avoiding my shock trips ... i was like wtf:s13:

Its similar to Far Cry actually but fighting machines like creatures so much more epic.

Last edited:

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Into the 5th hour already... taking my time for side missions and crafting my kits. Not sure if it's the fatigue of playing too much open world type... but I'm somewhat 'struggling' to enjoy the game. Well in a way, everything is good with the exploration, amazing graphics, combat and a rather compelling story.

Will continue. It's taking away my attention from admiring Zelda.

Considering both Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of Wild r both AAA games.. there are actually many other similiarities in both games.
http://n4g.com/news/2026571/breath-...ro-dawn-which-open-world-game-should-you-play

Ehhh zelda is like a kid game le..

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
hi all, im getting ps4 soon. and the first game i want to buy is this horizon and ffxv.

so, its this game worth it?

know any place to buy ps4 game cheap? or any brother here is selling / lend the cd to play?:s12:

Runez

Master Member
Reaction score
Ehhh zelda is like a kid game le..

the graphics may be kiddish cartoonish, but the open world roam makes horizon so dry and boring.

Zelda BOTW literally can climb mountains cliffs, swim anywhere to everywhere

Horizon is JUMPING not climbing unless u see those yellow banana indicator which make Aloy a monkey :s13:

So i feel damn suffocated when playing horizon, now lvl 20 just wanna complete it asap

shin7829

Reaction score
the graphics may be kiddish cartoonish, but the open world roam makes horizon so dry and boring.

Horizon is JUMPING not climbing unless u see those yellow banana indicator which make Aloy a monkey :s13:

So i feel damn suffocated when playing horizon, now lvl 20 just wanna complete it asap

each to its own

but in case u dont know, the mountains unlike other games there is always more than one way to reach certain mountain. climbing by jumping is possible on most mountains.

Zelda excel by its puzzle and etc. though kind of kiddish but undeniable the game capture most of us, game pioneers alot.

if ps4 would to have it sure a must buy for me at least.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score

LOL, climbing animation is the definition of good game? If you can just climb any vertical surface effortlessly like spiderman, with no physics at all, where's the challenge? Oh, right, the challenge is you keep getting hit by lightning as you climb in hyrule, slip as a result, then climb again, lightning, slip, climb...

qwertified

Reaction score
The climbing in horizon are nothing special its just tacked on based on uncharted/tomb raider because its a 3rd person game, not much thought is being put into it. Not that its bad anyways its just not the main focus, the main focus is the combat which is pretty good.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
The climbing in horizon are nothing special its just tacked on based on uncharted/tomb raider because its a 3rd person game, not much thought is being put into it. Not that its bad anyways its just not the main focus, the main focus is the combat which is pretty good.
I dont think he meant the ledge climbing ala uncharted/tomb rider. He meant scaling of slopes by jumping among boulders (which is fully physics based).

Runez

Master Member
Reaction score
LOL, climbing animation is the definition of good game? If you can just climb any vertical surface effortlessly like spiderman, with no physics at all, where's the challenge? Oh, right, the challenge is you keep getting hit by lightning as you climb in hyrule, slip as a result, then climb again, lightning, slip, climb...

As in i can literally go anywhere i want without any restrictions

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score

The point is you shld unequip metal stuff when it's raining. No metal no lightning strike =). Or throw the metal items near the enemies so that they will be the 1 striked by the lightning. The lightning mechanic is there just to make the game more realistic. Ppl shld really think out of the box to put this to their advantage instead of complaining its raining again.

qwertified

Reaction score
I dont think he meant the ledge climbing ala uncharted/tomb rider. He meant scaling of slopes by jumping among boulders (which is fully physics based).

Yeah i know, the climbable parts of mountains are only those where "ledges" are put in place like those banuk figure sections. The only thing special about horizon is the combat, overriding, blasting off armor/parts and use their own weapons against them. Other things like platforming, questing, material gathering, cauldron exploration are all based on other games like witcher 3, uncharted, tomb raider, assassins creed, etc. In other words, they played safe with other things.

Zelda's open world is different from what i've read, no quest signs no fixed climbing spots, u can go anywhere do anything. Like a big mysterious world out there. More old school i suppose, it encourages exploration more than the usual open world games.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
Yeah i know, the climbable parts of mountains are only those where "ledges" are put in place like those banuk figure sections. The only thing special about horizon is the combat, overriding, blasting off armor/parts and use their own weapons against them. Other things like platforming, questing, material gathering, cauldron exploration are all based on other games like witcher 3, uncharted, tomb raider, assassins creed, etc. In other words, they played safe with other things.

Zelda's open world is different from what i've read, no quest signs no fixed climbing spots, u can go anywhere do anything. Like a big mysterious world out there. More old school i suppose, it encourages exploration more than the usual open world games.

hmmm...by that logic, wouldnt zelda "can go anywhere" same as gta? its not something totally new.

u bash horizon for same mechanic as other games but then praise zelda for something new in which its the same as other games also.hmmm

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
Gta has linear story mode so u can't really go anywhere. Zelda u can fight end boss anytime.

hmmm...by that logic, wouldnt zelda "can go anywhere" same as gta? its not something totally new.

u bash horizon for same mechanic as other games but then praise zelda for something new in which its the same as other games also.hmmm

qwertified

Reaction score

I did not bash horizon ah. Having the same mechanics as existing games doesn't mean its bad. Most games copy from each other. Nioh also "copy" souls gameplay but its done pretty well unlike lords of the fallen. Copy is one thing execution needs to be on point also.

Afaik GTA exploration is limited by story progress or missions, some places are locked out at first. Ofc at the end u can go everywhere, every open world is like that. But zelda allows it from the start including access to the last boss. Like totally no sequence, u free to do whatever u want to do.

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
because of the settings this game is very much like playing sci-fi witcher, but with superb framerate, gameplay experience and exhilarating combat.

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Don't know what is with this obsession about open world games. Yes you can go anywhere right from the start in Zelda but does that make it a better game? Is the game fun just because it allows you to run around like a headless chicken right from the start in a virtual world?

People play video games to have fun, and realism =/= fun. Life is as realistic as it gets but is life fun? I think not. Good video game design should be about striking a balance between allowing free exploration and herding players thru the fun parts of the game. You don't want to make players run around like a headless chicken doing mundane things that they don't care about, but you also don't want to railroad them into a fixed progression with zero flexibility.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.