EDMW Knife Collectors

10_01mencret

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer guys! Ended up with the Brous VR-71 cos the shape just intrigues me. It didnt dissapont. Fit and finish is actually amazing. Damn smooth opening and blade centering is on point. It closes just almost like a shirogorov custom would. No joke. Might be my new favorite haha.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer guys! Ended up with the Brous VR-71 cos the shape just intrigues me. It didnt dissapont. Fit and finish is actually amazing. Damn smooth opening and blade centering is on point. It closes just almost like a shirogorov custom would. No joke. Might be my new favorite haha.

Perhaps sharing some photos/close ups or a bit more detail may change the negative perspective on brous knives?

Where do you look at with regards to the fit and finish?

As I've learnt from a close friend, collect what makes you happy. Ultimately, at the end of the day, it's YOUR knife because YOU paid for it.

Perhaps sharing here would help the other collectors out on their journey?

mamba2012

Reaction score
Figured I'd share one of the posts that I made on another forum as to what tolerances mean to me.

The Maker

Lee is a 27 year-old Knifemaker from Israel who's a very friendly dude, willing to share his knowledge and passion for knives. The Hydra by Lee Lerman has been synonymous with quality at the top echelons of Knifemaking.

Lee and I have been communicating with each other for over a year and he's one of the best makers out there, involving the customer at every step of the way, considering every alternative proposed and providing his expert opinion before proceeding with the material procurement and the build.

At an age of 27, I think he's got tremendous potential and promise and if you stick around my post, you'll see why that's so for yourself.

As Ari (Megalobyte) recently posted his WIP Pics and made everybody lose their minds, I figured I'd share my build, but from a different perspective.

The Hydra Heirloom
That's what we've decided to term this knife. An heirloom piece to us meant that it should be classy, timeless and ultimately, to be passed on to the next generation. To us, there is no classier material than Mother Of Pearl, which will be the focus of this piece.

The Initial Stage
We begin this journey with a selection of the materials and the basic removal of the handle materials.

20170316_005406_zpsdwsptjuk.png

IMG-20170313-WA0034_zps5yz2gb3w.jpg

Moving onto the rotary table, we arrive at the radial arc bolsters.

IMG-20170314-WA0007_zpsy2lc3zns.jpg

The Pursuit Of Perfection

The MOP scale here is a ZERO-tolerance fit, meaning that it is EXACTLY the same shape and size as the arc on the bolster. To the untrained eye, one would have stopped here, because this is very difficult to achieve and would be considered sufficient for most makers. However, for the scale to be fit in, some material will need to be removed from the ZERO-tolerance fit.
IMG_20170315_094428_963_zpsdysvkro3.jpg

This is not good enough for Lee and so, the insanity begins. He proceeds to take off 0.005mm (0.07mm is the width of an average human hair, for comparison) off each time. That's 1/14th of the width of a human hair, for some context.

IMG_20170315_095504_343_zpsewdhfuo4.jpg

Until we get...
IMG_20170315_192919_674_zpslngtyshc.jpg

IMG_20170315_094117_243_zpsrazdnzqi.jpg

Side by side:
IMG_20170315_193026_660_zpsnuhb7ji2.jpg

We shall continue with the further milling for the lockbar...

Till then...

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
It's fun eating 6 month old meat...still extremely delicious :). A good freezer is a must :s13: Umai.......=:p

IMG_0174_zpsqlthkpuk.jpg

IMG_0173_zpsq1facvap.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
if ship in leh? would mata knock on my door?

buying wall hangers is not illegal. What it means is that the item will be detained by the shipper (SingaporePost, Fedex, DHL, etc) as it enters Singapore. You'll be notified that a permit is required to import a wall hanger sword and if you don't have a permit, you need to seek one. I'm not sure if they can help get you one (there'll be fees etc). Or if you will go and get it yourself. I think wall hangers you mentioned are ok as they don't have sharpened edges. So it's just a matter of getting it cleared by the police, ICA, paying for the permits/import fees and getting your name on the books (so if anything happens with your swords, they will knock on your door).

Sometimes an interview is required, but yours really looks like those wallhangers, so it should not be an issue - just time, money, filing papers etc.

Please don't quote me I have never bought wall hangers/cosplay/fantasy swords in my life.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Its a 210mm gyuto. R2 steel by Yu Kurosaki. Damage $269 USD + $9 shipping. Ootb edge is good enough to do the tomato trick.

how is the performance so far? I read that Kurosaki's grinds were thick and there was some stiction but I love R2 powder. Do you have a bigger detailed pic of the bolster material? what is it? pakkawood? horn? or dyed rosewood?

it looks nice, I like the way he does the hammer finish.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Santoku & Steak from Spevakitchen. Aussie Wagyu shoulder from the Meat Collective (thanks for the tip). Santoku by Kanesoh from Tokyo - Aogami steel core, handles are custom made using Ukrainian Bog Oak, Curly Oak with tin spacers :)

IMG_0213_zpsdaaydi7y.jpg

IMG_0211_zps0jt2jlrr.jpg

Last edited:

chengkhi

Reaction score
Looking to sell away my GTC plasma and stampede slt (nebula damascus), anyone interested pls pm me... plasma listed on usn forum but i have not listed my stampede yet.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone knows if we are allowed to import unsharpened swords?

Was surfing Taobao & saw these unsharpened Han swords, looks great, maybe can get one for display.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...4&spm=a230r.1.14.1.KEmXih&skuId=3122026846292

TB2SkqIhSxjpuFjSszeXXaeMVXa_!!2261860056.jpg

As opposed to asking us formers here for advice, which is neither legally binding or should be taken as the truth, why not pose this question to the men-in-blue?

Looking at this faq link below,

http://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/spf/files/e-services/faq-%20items.pdf?la=en

We can see that a sword is a controlled item, which is likely to require a license. If you are gonna spend some money importing such an item in, it would be wise to consult the relevant authorities because it is not illegal. However, you might need to get a license.

lloop9

Reaction score
As opposed to asking us formers here for advice, which is neither legally binding or should be taken as the truth, why not pose this question to the men-in-blue?

Looking at this faq link below,

http://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/spf/files/e-services/faq- items.pdf?la=en

We can see that a sword is a controlled item, which is likely to require a license. If you are gonna spend some money importing such an item in, it would be wise to consult the relevant authorities because it is not illegal. However, you might need to get a license.

Thks for the link, that helps alot.

ZETMAN

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows which forwarding agent is willing to ship swords purchases from USA? I have emailed SPF and they commented which swords are allowed to be purchased but I cant find any shippers that is willing to ship it. Tried Fedex, DHL, TNT and UPS. All came back with the usual response that they dont carry sword items.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.