Horizon Zero Dawn

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see how being able to go everywhere and access the end boss is a good thing. First of all, there is no way you can go everywhere in any game, there are only so much of the world that is created in the game, there will be oceans or mountains that invisible walled the reachable areas.

I like to be able to roam freely, including going to regions that are obviously too dangerous for my current level, but for proper story telling, it makes more sense to gate off some regions based on story progression. This is done in great open-world exploration rpg games like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur, even FF XV recently. Horzon does that too, with a few places. No benefit for going straight to the final boss, except maybe to pull off alternate ending meant just to catch publicity, like Far Cry 4.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

qwertified

Reaction score
Don't know what is with this obsession about open world games. Yes you can go anywhere right from the start in Zelda but does that make it a better game? Is the game fun just because it allows you to run around like a headless chicken right from the start in a virtual world?

People play video games to have fun, and realism =/= fun. Life is as realistic as it gets but is life fun? I think not. Good video game design should be about striking a balance between allowing free exploration and herding players thru the fun parts of the game. You don't want to make players run around like a headless chicken doing mundane things that they don't care about, but you also don't want to railroad them into a fixed progression with zero flexibility.

Well the reviewers clearly think its better. Personally i don't, i prefer to be lead, so if i were to play this zelda i would do so with a walkthrough guide 100% of the time lol. Which is what i liked about horizon, all the cauldrons, tallnecks, ruins, collectibles locations are shown on the map even before the area is explored. Makes life much easier.

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm playing MEA average reviewed game than playing this high reviewed...

i guess i'm weird lol...

i'm seriously open world fatigue and yet i'm still playing them lol...

my screws are really loose lol...

Last edited:

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Well the reviewers clearly think its better. Personally i don't, i prefer to be lead, so if i were to play this zelda i would do so with a walkthrough guide 100% of the time lol. Which is what i liked about horizon, all the cauldrons, tallnecks, ruins, collectibles locations are shown on the map even before the area is explored. Makes life much easier.

Game reviews are a joke, I could list dozens of inconsistencies in review scores, they don't make any sense most of the time.

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ehhh zelda is like a kid game le..

Its meant for hard-core zelda fans(not kids actually) though I like the art too... I also like art style games like dark cloud , Ni no Kuni ,etc .

I feel what zelda lacks is a good story or background story :s22:...
Its not a must game for gamers to play if you never played/like zelda games .
Horizon experience is more distinct , unique story background , good dialogues , good graphics,combat and AI . It copies elements from tomb raider ,Far Cry ,etc .
I explored almost all of the map halfway through map story lol .

Last edited:

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i guess i'm weird lol...

There never any true open world games ,its but an illusion in your mind.

qwertified

Reaction score

i guess i'm weird lol...

U just like shooting game more than others, not surprising. Prey coming next month sia, looks good gonna get on PC.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see how being able to go everywhere and access the end boss is a good thing. First of all, there is no way you can go everywhere in any game, there are only so much of the world that is created in the game, there will be oceans or mountains that invisible walled the reachable areas.

I like to be able to roam freely, including going to regions that are obviously too dangerous for my current level, but for proper story telling, it makes more sense to gate off some regions based on story progression. This is done in great open-world exploration rpg games like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur, even FF XV recently. Horzon does that too, with a few places. No benefit for going straight to the final boss, except maybe to pull off alternate ending meant just to catch publicity, like Far Cry 4.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

linear games like ffx, i like it. got progression and objective.

if too "open" like skyrim, i don't know what the **** im supposed to do.

semi linear is the right balance.

Last edited:

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i wished i have bought this game instead of the shitty xuan yuan sword.

surely this game can't be worse than xuan yuan sword.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Platinum'ed it a second time :). This time on a US account and got the special platinum theme:

N0hbHJJ.jpg

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
easy plat huh ? and does the platinum theme applies to SG account ?
Not difficult to plat, can play on easy if you want.
Seems like only US and EU has the theme. After you plat, they will send you a code to your e-mail a couple of days later. Asia/SG account don't have afaik.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Not difficult to plat, can play on easy if you want.
Seems like only US and EU has the theme. After you plat, they will send you a code to your e-mail a couple of days later. Asia/SG account don't have afaik.

ok then, shall hoot this game to fill up the big hole in my heart..:s13:

does this theme comes with the game music ?

shin7829

Reaction score
ok then, shall hoot this game to fill up the big hole in my heart..:s13:

does this theme comes with the game music ?

Skyrim I install le. Play the game quit at the begining liao

This is like tomb raider.
Although open world still quite storyline link well

Will make u wanna progress the story.
Platinum can be done without a guide. Just do all the quest and be careful of the trophy "all allies joined"

The scenery is so epic thay u think its really perfect. The ai of the monster is quite intelligent

One part I like is also about the decision making in options of responding by heart,fist,brain.
The conversation and reaction will change nicely with different emotions ! Yet tgis has no effect on the storyline or rewards. Which in some sense good as I no need to worry about what effect it will have in terms of ending or etc.

So I basically play aloy on react the way I wanted her to react

Last edited:

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya, the best type of trophies, basically just play it however you like. Nothing missable, cos after completing final mission the game puts you back in the world state just before going to the final mission, so can mop up anything missing.

I suggest putting aside those hunting trials till post-game (but do complete 3 cos that will trigger a string of side quests, no need to get 'blazing sun' rating on them though). Those trials are better done after you get the ultimate armor, which you need to find 5 power cells to acquire it. The cells are not hard to find, they are in story locations or ruins marked on map, just have to explore. You can get the armor before final mission, but not really necessary if playing on normal difficulty (it does help a lot on the trials though).

The side quests here are quite good, got stories in them, a bit like Witcher 3 (but not to that level). No mindless bounties, locate dog tags, or series of quests to find various color toads (you know, for science, that's as far as the story goes in FFXV).

Last edited:

qwertified

Reaction score
Skyrim I install le. Play the game quit at the begining liao

This is like tomb raider.
Although open world still quite storyline link well

Will make u wanna progress the story.
Platinum can be done without a guide. Just do all the quest and be careful of the trophy "all allies joined"

The scenery is so epic thay u think its really perfect. The ai of the monster is quite intelligent

One part I like is also about the decision making in options of responding by heart,fist,brain.
The conversation and reaction will change nicely with different emotions ! Yet tgis has no effect on the storyline or rewards. Which in some sense good as I no need to worry about what effect it will have in terms of ending or etc.

So I basically play aloy on react the way I wanted her to react

Ya, i was expecting the dialogue system to affect the story, end up is just different talk story not affected at all. Relatively easy plat this game, just play however u want until the last main mission, then go do all the other required side quests to get the trophy. Even if u forgot to do some side quest and finish the game, after game end during free roam mode u automatically end up right before the same last mission so u can try again and again.

Getting the collectibles also very convenient, can buy the maps from merchants, will display all over the map whether got fog or not. The hardest part is just some of the hunter trials, a bit time rushed but definitely do-able.

Plat difficulty level around 3-4/10

Last edited:

tidiii

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, i was expecting the dialogue system to affect the story, end up is just different talk story not affected at all. Relatively easy plat this game, just play however u want until the last main mission, then go do all the other required side quests to get the trophy. Even if u forgot to do some side quest and finish the game, after game end during free roam mode u automatically end up right before the same last mission so u can try again and again.

Getting the collectibles also very convenient, can buy the maps from merchants, will display all over the map whether got fog or not. The hardest part is just some of the hunter trials, a bit time rushed but definitely do-able.

Plat difficulty level around 3-4/10

u got the choice to kill some npc right? i didnt choose to kill him but i read that he dies if you decide to kill him then he wun appear in the later missions??

shin7829

Reaction score
u got the choice to kill some npc right? i didnt choose to kill him but i read that he dies if you decide to kill him then he wun appear in the later missions??

Yes but thats for obvious. Got a trophy of all allies join. So do merciful abit lor.
But whereby no kill options I responded most often with a fist or brain, seldom heart option.

Nb when young she was......now then they......
If me I also will dulan them

Runez

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes but thats for obvious. Got a trophy of all allies join. So do merciful abit lor.
But whereby no kill options I responded most often with a fist or brain, seldom heart option.

Nb when young she was......now then they......
If me I also will dulan them

Her scar on her forehead is permanent :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.