[IP Cam] Xiaomi IP Camera Xiaoyi

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the XiaoYi with XiaoFang, and XiaoFang is smaller, more adjustable, 1080P and no restriction on firmware updates. Angle is wider too. Only gripe is the colour looks darker.

You can even buy accompanying sticker for XiaoFang, and now my camera looks like Mike from Monster Inc, great for a kid's room.

Some of the features I liked from XiaoYi is missing from XiaoFang,

1.) Fast connection to XiaoYi but I've encountered authentication loop when connecting to XiaoFang, must restart the camera before it will work again, very inconvenient.

2.) XiaoYi records motion only video while XiaoFang is continous recording, I like the interface of XiaoYi, can't say the same for XiaoFang.

3.) Video seems to be more crisp for XiaoYi even though its only 720p and XiaoFang is 1080!

Calvin83

Reaction score
Some of the features I liked from XiaoYi is missing from XiaoFang,

1.) Fast connection to XiaoYi but I've encountered authentication loop when connecting to XiaoFang, must restart the camera before it will work again, very inconvenient.

2.) XiaoYi records motion only video while XiaoFang is continous recording, I like the interface of XiaoYi, can't say the same for XiaoFang.

3.) Video seems to be more crisp for XiaoYi even though its only 720p and XiaoFang is 1080!

1) For me, its the total opposite in regards to the connection issue. I always encounter problems/lag when connecting to XiaoYi, but XiaoFang was fine. Guess this is due to our router instead of the camera. Or might be because my XiaoYi is not the local set?

2) Sorry, but what's the difference?

3) I agree with this. XiaoYi has better picture quality and colours. Resolution is not everything!

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
1) For me, its the total opposite in regards to the connection issue. I always encounter problems/lag when connecting to XiaoYi, but XiaoFang was fine. Guess this is due to our router instead of the camera. Or might be because my XiaoYi is not the local set?

2) Sorry, but what's the difference?

3) I agree with this. XiaoYi has better picture quality and colours. Resolution is not everything!

Xiaoyi is record based on motion detected. Xiaofang is continuous record, so its very hard to find specify point in the recording with motion. Not sure but for me, the record based on motion makes more sense.. Continuous record makes playback so troublesome.

edmundw

Reaction score
I was online and saw stolen footages of home surveillance cams (lol), but I started wondering if my set up is compromised too.

When I bought my first Xiaoyi home cam, I access it via the app. Later I found out, with rtsp enabled, I can use VLC to watch too. Nice. Because I can use rtsp, I have since set up my Synology NAS's Surveillance Station to manage both my xiaoyi cams. Very cool.

My xiaoyi app needs PIN to access, while my Synology needs 2FA to access.

So that leaves VLC (and other similar rtsp capable apps) which does not need any password to access.

A simple url rtsp://192.168.1.XXX:554/ch0_1.h264 is all it takes. The cam does not ask for access password. OMG. Why like that? It can't be right. Or am I worrying too much? Could anyone outside my home network use "VLC" to watch me sleeping in my bedroom?

Hi, I recently bought a synology nas and wanted to try the surveillance thingy. Do you solely save the footages on your nas and not use the memory card on the ip cam? The nas connect to the ipcam using rtsp so does that mean I dont need to do port forwarding for the ipcam? I can just connect to my nas to view it? Also, if ipcam is connected to nas means it'll run 24/7 without sleep? FYI, i have 5 cams running. I'm still figuring out how all this work. Cheers

Last edited:

sigur_ros

Reaction score
I have both xiaoyi and xiaofang as well.

I am plagued by the problem where I have to restart xiaofang often or else there is no footage. This is similar to what was earlier described as an authentication loop.

Any solution?

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
I have both xiaoyi and xiaofang as well.

I am plagued by the problem where I have to restart xiaofang often or else there is no footage. This is similar to what was earlier described as an authentication loop.

Any solution?

Great, at least I know I am not alone facing this stupid authentication loop..

I think I will try the Xiaofang hack when I have time to see if rtsp will solve this..

aoptionwriter

Reaction score
It works and you make my day, thank you!

i think the latest firmware prevents you from downgrading into the hacked firmware. the reset button may not work so just insert the SD card with the "home" file and power cycle the camera.

i used this version for the first step of downgrade https://yadi.sk/d/KCkz0xjpjmK5o this version will still speak in chinese but at least the reset button is working.

then use the russian hacked version and you can properly setup the camera outside of china http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/nXZP3NJY/file.html

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

like to check is the xiaomi cam still able to do recording to the SD card if internet connection is cut off?

Lets said i connected a 16k powerbank to the cam to power up. WHen my house powercut blackout. Mean my router have no power liao. THen the xiaomi cam can still do motion detection and do recording into the inserted SD card?

THank you.

Archnemo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone who can help with xiaoyi 1080P? I also stuck and have a couple on hand. Zzzz

Anyone knows if I pair the xiaoyi 1080p ip camera in China (to overcome the China only restrictions) then bring back the camera to SG to use... Can it still work?

miracleman

Reaction score
Hi all bros here, need help with Xiaoyi 18CN.

I previously bought 1 to try from taobao and it worked perfectly after simple reflash firmware. That was a 17CN.

Then I bought 10 more from the same seller (I need to cover a lot of places), and all came 18CN. Previous methods didn't work. I managed to get the camera not to say can only be used in China, but after scan QR code, it successfully connects to my WiFi, but after that it gives me an error message via voice saying that (loosely translated) QR code not working.

Anyone got any idea how to fix? Else I'm stuck with 10 paper weights....

Thanks!

billywy

Reaction score
I managed to get my 18CN (1080p) works with yi-hack-v3 url provided above by PatchAdams. May want to give this a try on your cameras.

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried the XiaoMi's XiaoFang? Was selling at $27.90 at Shopee a few days back.
xf from shopee $21.50 (20% from$26.90), good that app can make floating window of it, but it does not broadcast remote audio over its speaker, instead playback on the remote app. How to solve this?

Last edited:

rayjuan

Reaction score
guys i just bought a xiao mi /mijia/ 360 camera but upon installing the xiaomi home app it dosent let me add device! helpl

rayjuan

Reaction score
this camera was bought from qoo10 from passion gadgets. hope someone can help me out here thks

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
use China version mi home app, specify China as your region.

Kwangvatar

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

like to check is the xiaomi cam still able to do recording to the SD card if internet connection is cut off?

Lets said i connected a 16k powerbank to the cam to power up. WHen my house powercut blackout. Mean my router have no power liao. THen the xiaomi cam can still do motion detection and do recording into the inserted SD card?

THank you.
Bumps for this question...

Would like to know too...

Sent from Xiaomi HM NOTE 1W using GAGT

sg2303

Reaction score
I managed to get my 18CN (1080p) works with yi-hack-v3 url provided above by PatchAdams. May want to give this a try on your cameras.

Hi,

May I know which proxies you used?

I tried the above method and still cannot view the video from the app. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.