US help.

cherrystalk

Reaction score
any choice locations to stay in nyc? not too pricey like manhanttan or upper east side. my friend recommend flushing which is populated with asians.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any choice locations to stay in nyc? not too pricey like manhanttan or upper east side. my friend recommend flushing which is populated with asians.

The problem with Flushing is that it's nearly three-quarters of an hour from downtown, more if you're trying to travel during rush-hour.

There are cheap hotels to be had in Manhattan! Look in Lower Manhattan near Wall Street; over in Chelsea (I've stayed at the Four Points in Chelsea when I need a cheap hotel that's not too far from everything); or search on Tripadvisor and see what turns up. Don't give up without even looking.

Quick question.

Usa need international driving licence? Or our sg class3 is sufficient

Nope. Honestly international driving licenses are kind of a rort - they're basically just a translated version of what you already have. In English-speaking countries you almost never need them.

sCuzzZy

Reaction score
Would a 14days trip be sufficient to cover LA - LV - SFO? Including Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Alcatraz amongst others?

I am okay to drive for some of the legs but the longer legs will be covered by flights.

Can it be done or overly ambitious?

funnyclown

Reaction score
Would a 14days trip be sufficient to cover LA - LV - SFO? Including Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Alcatraz amongst others?

I am okay to drive for some of the legs but the longer legs will be covered by flights.

Can it be done or overly ambitious?

Yes can be done. We didn't drive just relying on public transport. Can even include anaheim disneyland if you are interested.

Depending on what are your interest, shopping or mainly sightseeing? You can consider spending 3 days in LA, 2 days in anaheim, 4 days in LV, 5 days in SFO, a day to Yosemite and Alcatraz, Coit tower another day.

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey, when gng to usa, do you guys get the local sim card there?
is it exp?

i'm planning to use my m1 data passport, or get the starhub prepaid sim and activate roaming.
searched and i feel is cheaper than usa local sim.
anyone can correct me if i'm wrong

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, we're trying to rent a car which can fit 4 adults, 4 x 28" luggages + 2-3 cabin sized luggage for our drive from LA-Vegas. Will any of the following have enough space?

Ford Escape, Ford Edge, Chevrolet Traverse.

Searched these online and seems like the Traverse is the biggest. The next class will be a dodge grand caravan, which we are not too keen on.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, we're trying to rent a car which can fit 4 adults, 4 x 28" luggages + 2-3 cabin sized luggage for our drive from LA-Vegas. Will any of the following have enough space?

Searched these online and seems like the Traverse is the biggest. The next class will be a dodge grand caravan, which we are not too keen on.

You will need a full size SUV for that. GMC Yukon XL will have enough space with the third row down.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mid size SUV traverse may work. You need to pack it in
You can always pay for upgrade. Vehicle not guarantee

Safest get mini van or full size SUV naturally

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I usually don't bother about getting a sim card when I travel but this trip, I'll need one for convenience sake. Need to contact people while on the road (warmshowers, couchsurfing, etc) and checking bike maps.

I'll be spending about a month in the US then crossing over to Canada. Will be in Canada for 2 months or so.

Should I get 2 separate sim cards (US + Canada)? Or can I just get one USA sim card? I need one with a generous data (at a good price). Any recommendations?

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mean initial card is $15 for $18 credit. How to add on $2 to get total $20 for the data plan? Any extra credit will be wasted.

credit card via the starhub happy prepaid app or top up at most mobile phone shops. u usually get bonus value doing it in the shops.

addats

Reaction score
T mobile network sucks big time especially if you travelling out of town area.
AT&T is still the best.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.