Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For use in a 5 room HDB, would it be an overkill to use 3 nodes?
Would 2 nodes system be more than sufficient?

very hard to confirm. the number of nodes needed depends on where you want to put your nodes at, and how is the layout of the house.

I would recommend you to get the 2-pack package first instead of buying the 3-pack package, cos the chances of the 3rd node needed will be kind of low..

Singapore21

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did u have to turn off the wifi in your router? Else would it interfere with the velop wifi?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no hard and fast rule.

May I just share with you my set up and my rationale?

I am placing the first node just right beside the router as it needs to be connected to router via LAN. so in this manner, I turned off the wifi on router and let velop solely in charge my wifi.

However u can turn on your wifi if your first node is away from router, but still connected via lan, then it will be okay to leave it on..

Did u have to turn off the wifi in your router? Else would it interfere with the velop wifi?

Campese

Reaction score
"Since the existing router is still active, at a minimum you need to turn off its wireless functionality in order to avoid interference. Ideally, you need to go a step further and turn off all of the router's routing functionality and use it just as a modem, otherwise known as "Bridge Mode." This avoids complications and potential performance issues that arise from having NAT functionality (Network Address Translation) active in both the old router and Velop."

hxxps://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/linksys-velop-review-uk-mesh-wi-fi/

Did u have to turn off the routing functionality?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We have to understand that the deployment of fibre is different from country to country.

When you first set up the velop via the app, and only the app can be used, you will realise you need to choose between modem-router and modem & router setup.

If you choose modem and router, the app will expect you to remove the router completely while using velop as a router.

What we all want is to retain our current router, which has better routing capability than velop, in the system while velop behaves like a wifi ap.

If you choose modem-router mode, velop sets itself as a bridge instead.. So you can still retain your own router while velop itself is also a router, and that entails devices connected to velop will not be transparent to the main router.

A software update will enable velop to be set up as purely AP. This works the same as Singtel airties wifi mesh systems..

"Since the existing router is still active, at a minimum you need to turn off its wireless functionality in order to avoid interference. Ideally, you need to go a step further and turn off all of the router's routing functionality and use it just as a modem, otherwise known as "Bridge Mode." This avoids complications and potential performance issues that arise from having NAT functionality (Network Address Translation) active in both the old router and Velop."

hxxps://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/linksys-velop-review-uk-mesh-wi-fi/

Did u have to turn off the routing functionality?

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

First impression counts and Linksys did a great job here!

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sneak peak to what the velop can do (test using MBA at the same location)

Asus AC5300

6259115158.png

3 Pack Velop deployed in Living room, study room and first bedroom (will come out with a layout of my house soon)

6259116970.png

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How get my mio tv to work with this...i Plan to use this out to a switch and finally mio tv. Is it possible

hmm, so what you intend to do is...

ONT -> Router with VLan -> Master Node -> Node -> Switch -> MioTV box?

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are using singtel router, then the above can be done on velop..

hi renfred89.. to confirm.. i can use the primary node.. to a 5 or 8 port switch and to mio tv?

I was under the impression that we have to use a router with a specific port from the router...
in the case of asus router its usually the port 4.

Is there a setting in the velop setup where there is a preselect singtel mio settings?

I called linksys yesterdaya and they told me there is no such settings for velop and its not compatible

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi renfred89.. to confirm.. i can use the primary node.. to a 5 or 8 port switch and to mio tv?

I was under the impression that we have to use a router with a specific port from the router...
in the case of asus router its usually the port 4.

Is there a setting in the velop setup where there is a preselect singtel mio settings?

I called linksys yesterdaya and they told me there is no such settings for velop and its not compatible

velop has no vlan presets and is confirmed incompatible to singtel network alone. In order to use Velop, it has to be behind a router that is compatible to singtel network.

That being said, you can essentially use a switch behind a velop to expand it's 2 ethernet ports.

However, if you want velop to supply internet and singtel tv at the same time, velop has to be connected to a compatible router which tags the ethernet port for singtel tv or internet. ASUS ROUTER PORT 4 ON PRESET WILL NOT DELIVER INTERNET BUT SINGTEL TV ONLY. So if you connect port 4 to velop, it only gives you singtel tv but no internet.

thats why i advise you to use back the singtel router on velop, and has the singtel router wifi turned off...

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
velop has no vlan presets and is confirmed incompatible to singtel network alone. In order to use Velop, it has to be behind a router that is compatible to singtel network.

That being said, you can essentially use a switch behind a velop to expand it's 2 ethernet ports.

However, if you want velop to supply internet and singtel tv at the same time, velop has to be connected to a compatible router which tags the ethernet port for singtel tv or internet. ASUS ROUTER PORT 4 ON PRESET WILL NOT DELIVER INTERNET BUT SINGTEL TV ONLY. So if you connect port 4 to velop, it only gives you singtel tv but no internet.

thats why i advise you to use back the singtel router on velop, and has the singtel router wifi turned off...

Interesting, thanks. BTW is it possible to set the Asus Port 4 to both Internet and Mio TV (by setting VLANs through SSH?)

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. BTW is it possible to set the Asus Port 4 to both Internet and Mio TV (by setting VLANs through SSH?)

i have not attempted before on that. you can try..

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Singtel Home Fibre but without MioTV. It's a pain to work around VLan so we can make the best of the current solutions offered.

My current set up while I test further in depth into the performance.

The master node is in Study Room, connected behind AC5300 due to Vlan restriction.

In bedroom 1, my AC88U used to be connected via Lan and in AP mode. Replacing it with velop node I can ditch the wire, broadcast strong 5Ghz Wifi to my PC and yet connect both my printer and DS416 NAS to this node, pretty impressive I must say.

And yes, many review sites have stated that Velop must be set up using the Linksys App on Android IOS, but to the power users out there.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Singtel Home Fibre but without MioTV. It's a pain to work around VLan so we can make the best of the current solutions offered.

My current set up while I test further in depth into the performance.

The master node is in Study Room, connected behind AC5300 due to Vlan restriction.

In bedroom 1, my AC88U used to be connected via Lan and in AP mode. Replacing it with velop node I can ditch the wire, broadcast strong 5Ghz Wifi to my PC and yet connect both my printer and DS416 NAS to this node, pretty impressive I must say.

And yes, many review sites have stated that Velop must be set up using the Linksys App on Android IOS, but to the power users out there.

So both can be connected via lan and you create a unified network.?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.