Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

1) Sys 3 or system 4 also can.
2) If usage is low, the 3 ticks will be good enough for you.
3) Bedroom 9k each.
Living & Dining, either 12k x 2 or 24k 1 unit.

Hi, in need of advice from experts here. I am look for cost effective way to aircon my resale 3rm hdb flat. The dimensions are as indicated:
Living room - 5380x3230
Dining area - 2545x3230
(Living and dining are connected but with a storeroom in between. Not allowed to hack it away :()
MBR - 4955x2970
Common room - 4180x2970
A few questions in mind:
1) better to get system 4?
2) planning to get Daikin Smile series. If my usage is about twice a week, 6-8 hours, with living+dining and a room concurrently, how many ticks should i get?
3) the recommended btu for the individual rooms?

Thank you in advance for the help 😊

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

All bedrooms 9k btu will be sufficient.
If usage not more then 2-3 units 8 hours daily, 3 ticks system will be suitable for you.

Great thread. Looking for some advice on air-con for my new place. It's a resale 4room and planning aircon for just the bedrooms. Bedroom's aren't too big (largest is 3100 x 4100) so I suppose a 9k is enough based on what I read here?

Seems a lot recommending Daikin or Mitsubishi so i'm looking at those 2.

Usage is predominantly 1 room during bedtime (my kid sleeps with us in MBR and at most 2 aircons simultaneously if a guest sleeps over, with some ad-hoc use during the day (third bedroom is an office so some light use in the day only during warm weather). Looks like my usage is on the lower end (?) though I'm thinking of future-proofing for when my kid sleeps in her own room.

I suppose 5 ticks would be overkill correct? With such a low usage it might take too long to "recover" the initial premium.

No aircon installed previously at the place so no external bracket present (guess more costs zzz). Any advice on the configuration I should get and what to look out for in the installation/piping types?

I emailed coldengine since they were mentioned here and waiting for their advice/quote. Any other recommended vendors would be appreciated.

kekejl

Reaction score
Hi All, aircon noob here seeking technical advice. I need to get an aircon replacement and I am finding it hard to decide between Daikin 3MKS71FSG / 3 x FTKS25DVM and Mitsubishi Electric MXY3A28VA / 3 x MSYGE10VA... The Daikin is 3 ticks and the ME is 2 ticks. Mine is a 4-rm old HDB and we turn on all 3 rooms' units on average 10 hours per day when we sleep.

By right, it is better to go with the 3 ticks model, but a contractor told me there has been cases with the Daikin model for which its fan motor fails and Daikin parts are more expensive, so ME is better.

So many have said that Daikin is good so I am not sure of what the contractor said. Also, anyone know which model is older? The ME model seemed to have been around for at least 7 to 8 years already.. Is that a factor to consider? As I hope to use this new aircon system for at least 10 years... If the model is so old, maybe it will be obselete soon? Then parts will be difficult to get?

I did not consider the 5 ticks models as have heard that these systems are still new and not stable and also noisy. I am also thinking perhaps aircon people might be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the new 5 ticks model too, as most of them do not recommend the 5 ticks models.

Also, I will like to ask usually, the one year warranty from the installer, does it include the materials? I am getting quotes at the moment, but I am thinking if anyone will define it as warranty for labour only but have to pay for the materials still. Coz I read somewhere that dealer warranty covers the parts only but have to pay for labour?

Advanced thanks to all gurus!

terumo

Reaction score
Daikin energy consumption should be lower then Mitsubishi (based on ticks rating)
One year warranty from installer usually covers materials and labour.
Now Daikin is having promotion for extended warranty (27 months)

Nowadays aircon system will last average 5-7 years.
No more 10 years unless you turn on only when weather is hot. :)

Hi All, aircon noob here seeking technical advice. I need to get an aircon replacement and I am finding it hard to decide between Daikin 3MKS71FSG / 3 x FTKS25DVM and Mitsubishi Electric MXY3A28VA / 3 x MSYGE10VA... The Daikin is 3 ticks and the ME is 2 ticks. Mine is a 4-rm old HDB and we turn on all 3 rooms' units on average 10 hours per day when we sleep.

By right, it is better to go with the 3 ticks model, but a contractor told me there has been cases with the Daikin model for which its fan motor fails and Daikin parts are more expensive, so ME is better.

So many have said that Daikin is good so I am not sure of what the contractor said. Also, anyone know which model is older? The ME model seemed to have been around for at least 7 to 8 years already.. Is that a factor to consider? As I hope to use this new aircon system for at least 10 years... If the model is so old, maybe it will be obselete soon? Then parts will be difficult to get?

I did not consider the 5 ticks models as have heard that these systems are still new and not stable and also noisy. I am also thinking perhaps aircon people might be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the new 5 ticks model too, as most of them do not recommend the 5 ticks models.

Also, I will like to ask usually, the one year warranty from the installer, does it include the materials? I am getting quotes at the moment, but I am thinking if anyone will define it as warranty for labour only but have to pay for the materials still. Coz I read somewhere that dealer warranty covers the parts only but have to pay for labour?

Advanced thanks to all gurus!

edcruz

Reaction score
Hihi all shifu, looking to fix aircon in office. it's a square box unit without any partition. size 600sqft. I'm thinking to put 2 single unit aircon (starmex or daikin) about 18k BTU per unit, total 36k BTU.

Daikin 17.1k BTU - link

Mitsubishi Starmex 18k BTU - link

Would appreciate your advise!
(1) whether 2 single unit is ok. Or better to have 1x system 2

(2) is 3.6k BTU suitable for 600sqft (calculation 600sqft*60=36000 BTU)
(i read some calculation is 600sqft x 35 = 21000 BTU is enough? no idea)
i normally prefer just turn on 25 degree, 10-12 hours per day.

(3) best place to get aircon from? i went to gaincity, and booked for site view. Where else should i ask? i'm thinking preferably 3 vendors to compare.

(4) the aircon position in picture is my current idea, any better position to put the 2 aircon?

Thank you very much! :s12::)

image img

Last edited:

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone air con is midea? Care to share how isit pls

i wanted to know too, any review? how is the aircon working? =:p

any difference btwn 9000 btu and 12000 btu?
plan to install sys 2 for 3-room HDB resales

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
If your ceiling height is 3 metres, 2 x 18k is very comfortable le.

Hihi all shifu, looking to fix aircon in office. it's a square box unit without any partition. size 600sqft. I'm thinking to put 2 single unit aircon (starmex or daikin) about 18k BTU per unit, total 36k BTU.

Daikin 17.1k BTU - link

Mitsubishi Starmex 18k BTU - link

Would appreciate your advise!
(1) whether 2 single unit is ok. Or better to have 1x system 2

(2) is 3.6k BTU suitable for 600sqft (calculation 600sqft*60=36000 BTU)
(i read some calculation is 600sqft x 35 = 21000 BTU is enough? no idea)
i normally prefer just turn on 25 degree, 10-12 hours per day.

(3) best place to get aircon from? i went to gaincity, and booked for site view. Where else should i ask? i'm thinking preferably 3 vendors to compare.

(4) the aircon position in picture is my current idea, any better position to put the 2 aircon?

Thank you very much! :s12::)

image img

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A point to note forget about LG. My LG is coming 2yrs and brought it from courts.

Choose it because it's 5 stars. Compressor was dead on arrival on installation day and the LG technician came and say one wire was not connected inside compressor.

Air con unit got noisy within a year and the fab slipper started having noisy after 1yr

The temperature feels weird as in the morning, its like full fan speed air (remote only set 1 bar of fan) and much colder ( I set 25-26 but room temp is 24).

For my new 3 room bto, I plan to get Mitsubishi or dalkin 5 ticks . 2 room and 1 hall, I asked a few sales man and they say hall need 12k power and room 9k, is this correct?

terumo

Reaction score
For 3 room flat, 12k is good for living, if kitchen is open concept, then 18k will be much better.

A point to note forget about LG. My LG is coming 2yrs and brought it from courts.

Choose it because it's 5 stars. Compressor was dead on arrival on installation day and the LG technician came and say one wire was not connected inside compressor.

Air con unit got noisy within a year and the fab slipper started having noisy after 1yr

The temperature feels weird as in the morning, its like full fan speed air (remote only set 1 bar of fan) and much colder ( I set 25-26 but room temp is 24).

For my new 3 room bto, I plan to get Mitsubishi or dalkin 5 ticks . 2 room and 1 hall, I asked a few sales man and they say hall need 12k power and room 9k, is this correct?

humanrace

Reaction score
I have some question, for the bro here. The quote I have stated:
** Free upgrade to half inch Armaflex/K-Flex Insulation for copper pipe.

However when I supervise the installation, I realised that some pipes were using the 3/8 inch pipe for the thin copper pipes which the installer mentioned is for air return.

Only 1 set of copper pipe (the thicker G22) was wrapped using the 1/2 inch insulation.

Is this a cause for concer, is this normal due to space constrain in the trunking?

Hang_Terra

Reaction score

However when I supervise the installation, I realised that some pipes were using the 3/8 inch pipe for the thin copper pipes which the installer mentioned is for air return.

Only 1 set of copper pipe (the thicker G22) was wrapped using the 1/2 inch insulation.

Is this a cause for concer, is this normal due to space constrain in the trunking?

Mind sharing which company you got it from?

Andy0601a

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

was quoted 2.8k for new installation, ME(2 ticks) sys2, + armaflex upgrade, bracket, powerpoint covering/patching of door louvers/window hole.

all in 2.8k, on hindsight it seems a little steep? any kind souls please advise.

xxlancexx

Reaction score
hi knowledgeable bros

deciding between these 2:

ME Starmex (2 ticks):
MXY4A28
MSYGE10 x 3
MSYGE24

Daikin (3 ticks):
4MKS80FSG
FTKS25DVM x 3
FTKS60FVM

Originally, was intending to choose ME Starmex. However, aircon contractor recommended Daikin as there is extended warranty (extra 15months) for spare parts, easier to troubleshoot/maintain as ME Starmex is phasing out.

Daikin set costs $100 more than ME Starmex.

Which one would the experts here recommended?

humanrace

Reaction score
hi knowledgeable bros

ME Starmex (2 ticks):
MXY4A28
MSYGE10 x 3
MSYGE24

Daikin (3 ticks):
4MKS80FSG
FTKS25DVM x 3
FTKS60FVM

Originally, was intending to choose ME Starmex. However, aircon contractor recommended Daikin as there is extended warranty (extra 15months) for spare parts, easier to troubleshoot/maintain as ME Starmex is phasing out.

I would go with starmex. Daikin although 3 tick, my utilization is not that much to make a difference.
Solely on branding, starmex seem more reliable.
Extra 15 mth warranty is ok but parts normally fail after 3 years.

terumo

Reaction score
A bit too high bro.
You may wish to seek a second quote to compare.

hi all,

was quoted 2.8k for new installation, ME(2 ticks) sys2, + armaflex upgrade, bracket, powerpoint covering/patching of door louvers/window hole.

all in 2.8k, on hindsight it seems a little steep? any kind souls please advise.

terumo

Reaction score
Daikin pricing now should be similar with Starmex.

hi knowledgeable bros

ME Starmex (2 ticks):
MXY4A28
MSYGE10 x 3
MSYGE24

Daikin (3 ticks):
4MKS80FSG
FTKS25DVM x 3
FTKS60FVM

terumo

Reaction score
Should be both 1/2 thickness.
But some companies practice 3/8 insulation for the discharge pipe, return pipe is 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.