Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both as in?

i bought the velop.. my 2nd node is connected to the lan..however it seems that I am having locating the node..

the salesman told me we cannot do that yet..must wait for update...issit true??

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok..fixed my problem..

I only need 2 nodes.. anyone wants to buy my third node??

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do you guys connect the velop directly to the singtel?

I tried many times but failed.. so now i have to go from th fibre unit to router then to velop..

I wanted to do velop a the router then to my asus rt 56 as a gateway to my mio tv

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do you guys connect the velop directly to the singtel?

I tried many times but failed.. so now i have to go from th fibre unit to router then to velop..

I wanted to do velop a the router then to my asus rt 56 as a gateway to my mio tv

not possible, have to use ur rt56 as main router, then connect to velop for your wifi. velop no VLAN support.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have connected my velop to my Rt 56. And I'm using the wireless from my velop only..and some of devices ( mostly near my console ) are connected by lan..

Now strangly I cannot cast my YouTube to my Xbox one and my Lg smart t.v. as they are connected by lan..

However in my previous setup ..i could see all devices even my network were supported by 2 different routers..

Can anyone advise what I did wrong ?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have connected my velop to my Rt 56. And I'm using the wireless from my velop only..and some of devices ( mostly near my console ) are connected by lan..

Now strangly I cannot cast my YouTube to my Xbox one and my Lg smart t.v. as they are connected by lan..

However in my previous setup ..i could see all devices even my network were supported by 2 different routers..

Can anyone advise what I did wrong ?

Velop does double NAT. which means DHCP is also issued by the velop system itself. Devices connected via wifi/lan to velop will not be visible to the devices connected to the router, and vice versa.

To ensure your devices can all see each other, you need to set velop into bridge mode, which is not enabled on user interface but advanced interface. I do not recommend trying out the bridge mode as there are still bugs in it.

You can wait for the firmware update coming along soon, which enables velop to be operated as an AP mode. As such, all your devices can see each other..

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Velop does double NAT. which means DHCP is also issued by the velop system itself. Devices connected via wifi/lan to velop will not be visible to the devices connected to the router, and vice versa.

To ensure your devices can all see each other, you need to set velop into bridge mode, which is not enabled on user interface but advanced interface. I do not recommend trying out the bridge mode as there are still bugs in it.

You can wait for the firmware update coming along soon, which enables velop to be operated as an AP mode. As such, all your devices can see each other..

thanks for your good advise.. my stop gap measure is to put all the devices on wifi mode now...

btw.. since I am running the rt 56 as the modem.. any bottle neck you see in my system??

I used to be using the maxstream ea 9500 as my main router before this velop..but felt that would be an overkill

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
N56u can support 1gbps well in wired lan. It should be fine serving velop and your WiFi devices..

thanks for your good advise.. my stop gap measure is to put all the devices on wifi mode now...

btw.. since I am running the rt 56 as the modem.. any bottle neck you see in my system??

I used to be using the maxstream ea 9500 as my main router before this velop..but felt that would be an overkill

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How's the speedtest from the velop? Can share your speed test connecting to the 2nd node and first node. I assume you're on 1gbps and you're using wireless to link the nodes and not using wired backhaul.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using wired back haul..so both of them about the same results..

How's the speedtest from the velop? Can share your speed test connecting to the 2nd node and first node. I assume you're on 1gbps and you're using wireless to link the nodes and not using wired backhaul.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.cnet.com/news/linksys-velop-home-mesh-gets-full-bridge-mode/

Bridge is now available in the latest firmware!

Update: Update is not live yet pending App update and firmware rollout.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/New-firmware-ETA/td-p/1135980

thanks for the update, will be looking forward to it.

@Deavenger, you might be interested in this update as it will help to solve your problem of devices not seeing each other when connected to router and velop.. :D

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update, will be looking forward to it.

@Deavenger, you might be interested in this update as it will help to solve your problem of devices not seeing each other when connected to router and velop.. :D

Does the update means that I can connect the child node to the router via wired directly or still need to connect to parent?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the update means that I can connect the child node to the router via wired directly or still need to connect to parent?

i'm unsure of that since i don't have the update yet. will come back and update once i receive the new update.. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.