Wireless IP Camera thread

Mr_YA_HA

Reaction score
need some advise on what are the options..

requirement
1. wireless
2. can view from phone ios and android
3. 2 way audio
4. is there such a thing as local storage? meaning no need to keep turning on pc
5. on demand recording?
6. motion sensor..not sure how it works
7. night recording?

basic use is for monitor baby in bed room or living

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score

requirement
1. wireless
3. 2 way audio
4. is there such a thing as local storage? meaning no need to keep turning on pc
5. on demand recording?
7. night recording?

sineoji or foscam if u $ tight

videos are stored on SDCARD inside the IPcam no PC needed

stiwipl

Reaction score

requirement
1. wireless
3. 2 way audio
5. on demand recording?
7. night recording?

I am not sure why it has never been mentioned here but I was searching long for a proper Dropcam / Nest cam replacement without being tied to cloud storage fees etc. I got 3x Xiaomi YI Home Camera 2 1080P with local storage recording (SD cards up to 64GB) + free 6 seconds "motion activated clips" cloud storage valid for one week. I don't see this 6s a problem, because you can then review the camera recording manually from SD card (remotely via iOS / Android app).

The quality of video is very good (you can choose 720p or 1080p 1Mbps or 1080p 1.5Mbps) and I no longer get false alarm notifications like with Dropcam. I got it through Ali Express for US$99 (they often have promo).

Dave27

Reaction score
probably due high demand for his services...

i tried emailing the sales email address previously but no reply.
Managed to get to Dean via the forum after i made the online placement. Was able to finalise the installation date.

Imo, Dean provided good services on the installation and guided me on the use of the app which was easy to pick up.
Had an issue with the cam, i sms him about 10ish in the night and surprisedly he called back to assist me on the issue and managed to resolve it over the phone call. Kudos to his good aftersale services which is quite hard to come by nowadays (even an simple email query to Starhub take at least a week to get a response)

Had installed 3 x pt528v and also gotten the HomePlug AV Wireless Starter Kit for 3 + weeks. so far no complaints, the cam serve my needs and imagine quality is good enough for the price i paid for. Value for money. ;)

Exactly, the service is on the dot and the sineoji cams video image are precisely sharp and smooth. Installation service coupled with the short tutorial by him is really helpful IMO.

Mr_YA_HA

Reaction score
sineoji or foscam if u $ tight

videos are stored on SDCARD inside the IPcam no PC needed

ok...did a bit reading here and there....

found this dlink 825L which i think quite interesting. it has lots of baby specific function which are good since it will b used for new born. but i also wan the cam to be future proof when the kid gets older

another is dlink 5222L which i think is decent too.

any feedback on them?

after researching...i think ill need
1. at least 720p
2. local sd
3. 2 way audio with built in mic n speaker
4. sound n motion sensor with event notification. like mobile alert etc
5. wireless
6. can backup to NAS

budget 300

any particular sineoji or foscam that met above?

seems the samsung p6410 met the above rxcept the NAS part.....is samsung ok?

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
they official release! 1080p version liao wo...
but got free DDNS a not?

Ok. Next week we shld hear from the new agent of wanscam here. She will b selling their 1080P at $69 each. N 1 model of the 3xzoom model at $79. I have tried the cameras. Can work with either wanscam own app or sineoji's app

revogsx

Reaction score
there are no future proof ip camera.

they go offline for some unknown reasons. (I have foscam, aztech and dlink)

what I learn is, you need at least 2 IP cams to have overlapping coverage if that spot is really important.

If one IP cam goes offline, you can still have the other cam online. get different models.

I have 5222L and 960L. both are equally good too.
highly recommended is 960L. 180 degree viewing.

btw, two-way audio in any cam is useless because of lag/latency, just call them on mobile phone :)

ok...did a bit reading here and there....

found this dlink 825L which i think quite interesting. it has lots of baby specific function which are good since it will b used for new born. but i also wan the cam to be future proof when the kid gets older

any feedback on them?

after researching...i think ill need
1. at least 720p
2. local sd
3. 2 way audio with built in mic n speaker
4. sound n motion sensor with event notification. like mobile alert etc
5. wireless
6. can backup to NAS

budget 300

any particular sineoji or foscam that met above?

seems the samsung p6410 met the above rxcept the NAS part.....is samsung ok?

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
there are no future proof ip camera.

they go offline for some unknown reasons. (I have foscam, aztech and dlink)

what I learn is, you need at least 2 IP cams to have overlapping coverage if that spot is really important.

If one IP cam goes offline, you can still have the other cam online. get different models.

I have 5222L and 960L. both are equally good too.
highly recommended is 960L. 180 degree viewing.

btw, two-way audio in any cam is useless because of lag/latency, just call them on mobile phone :)

agreed. 100%

josephlpw

Reaction score
Good Service by Sineoji

Just installed Sineoji PT528V camera at my place. Had 2 other Sineoji cameras previously installed.

This new one didn't disappoint again. And to add to it, the service staff (Dean) who came to help mount the camera did provide good service too.

He was patient to answer to our many questions too. I think we probably delay his schedule if he need to go to another place to install.

So 2 thumbs up to Sineoji's excellent service via Dean!!

Questionaire

Reaction score
i have a question about sineoji PT498V - HD 720P.

so i have inserted a 128gb SD card into the camera. then set to record schedule in the mobile app setting.

so like this the camera will just record everything without me pressing the recording function in the app when i view real time right?

this is my first camera installed in my house. :(

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
i have a question about sineoji PT498V - HD 720P.

so i have inserted a 128gb SD card into the camera. then set to record schedule in the mobile app setting.

so like this the camera will just record everything without me pressing the recording function in the app when i view real time right?

this is my first camera installed in my house. :(

yes. it will record based on what u set in the app. no pressing of buttons required

if you need to record what you see live, you can do so within the app also

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score

I find the lag/latency to be no different from apps like Skype, IMO, WhatsApp call etc.

Personally, I find it very useful, particularly when you have kids who may misbehave, and you just need to tell them over the IP camera. In the old days, the only way for you to speak to them is you fix a speaker at the IP camera end. Passive speakers are too soft, so you need an active speaker with power, which means you need to have a power point. With a built-in speaker, you don't need to worry about that.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Anyone using the Foscam C1?
Can help to confirm if you can search and playback recorded video (stored in the microSD card) using the official iOS or Andriod mobile apps? Thanks.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Will overwrite once the space is full.

yes. it will record based on what u set in the app. no pressing of buttons required

if you need to record what you see live, you can do so within the app also

Reaction score
Having wired up much of my house with Foscams by myself, I I would like to share the following :

- Tinycam paid app (android only) is good for live monitoring, with many features. it is frequently updated, check their website for compatibility with your camera brand, they even take requests.

- I find SD card recording unreliable, there is only so much the small chip on the IP camera can handle. with multiple log-ins, camera still has to detect motion and record, plus user logging in to view playback.
this often leads to disconnects/reboots/hangs etc.

- a better recording solution would be dedicated NVR (cheap ones dont really cut it either, they dont have enough processing power to handle multiple FHD streams)

- better still imo is have a PC running CCTV recording/monitoring software e.g Blue Iris, ISpy.

- i have read that many favour 24/7 recording so that nothing is missed, since motion detection recording does not work 100% for wadeva reason. Coupled with motion alerts emails & snapshots, this scheme should give the best coverage.

Phumba

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Appreciate ur experiece. I wld like to comment/ask more as well.

- Tinycam paid app (android only)
How do u connect? HTTP port fwd? HTTPS? or the more secure 3rd party access, whatever its called?

FREE Tinycam user here. I am on HTTP port fwd. Ya. Dangerous.... but i dont run around naked in the hse... so I bet I am boring to watch.

- I find SD card recording unreliable.

Agreed. I knew I did not have patience for this. As I review the footage quite frequenty.

- a better recording solution would be dedicated NVR

In my case, I didnt want to be bound by manufacturer specific. And for the same money, i wanted more options. Upgradability, media centre, PC for the TV.

- better still imo is have a PC running CCTV recording/monitoring software e.g Blue Iris, ISpy.

I went this way. BlueIris. Got a second hand I5-4xxx PC. Added a big HD for recording and have been pleased. Now hoping to find higher resolution cams to add as I go out of control with this new obsession.... 😨

- i have read that many favour 24/7 recording so that nothing is missed, since motion detection recording does not work 100% for wadeva reason.

Not very true in my case. I have been using motion based and its been very good. 5 cams 720P, 1 cam at 1080p, all at 20FPS generating abt 1TB of data for 21 days. Hse has maid throughout the day working moving abt. This will give u an idea on how much space is required.

Also note that with BlueIris, you can group the cameras.... this will allow one to trigger other cameras. For example, 2 cams in one room can record simultaneously eventhough only one has detected motion.

Pls feel free to share more.

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
found this dlink 825L which i think quite interesting.

If I am not wrong, DLink has removed the DCS-800 series from their webpages although other countries still have them.
This series is nice because they are small and cam practically mount with double sided tape in the baby crib. I have not used this one, i must admitt.

but i also wan the cam to be future proof when the kid gets older

This might be hard to acheive...IMHO.

any feedback on them?

My first cam was the DCS 5222L, maybe 2 yrs ago, cant quite remember. Still going strong. The software support is quite bloody fantastic. Multi streaming, DI/DO and goodness knows what not. Do note, I dont use the extended software functions.

What I am saying is, its quite a feature value for money. Although a bit old. Also note, I have the Rev A/A1. I read USA gets the B version which is supposedly better. Unsure here.

My only personal notes on this model is I defn recommend LAN cable over wifi. I started with wifi and found that 2 way audio was poor via the MyDlink app. As well as general PTZ motion. After goig to LAN connection, very good via MyDLink app.
Also u can get them second hand in Carousel for abt SGD 100.

A side note, the MyDLink app by general standards is quite crappy in comparison to others from what I have seen.

That said, once u have a few cameras... u will most likely move away from the manufacturers app and get a 3rd party app like TinyCam, which works wonders.

Cant help you with the brands u mentioned, but I wld dare say, almost all the cams will allow u to FTP to your NAS or somesort. So you shld be fine.

Last edited:

sgnimo

Reaction score
Has the sineoji PT713v installed yesterday by Dean. The wide angle is really a big difference, perfect view and contrast, sees almost everything from one to the other end, need not pan the camera at all.

Initially having 2 cameras in the living hall and the sidewalk area, now is reduce to 1 with 713v in the hall.

I have 2 PT498 as spare units, not knowing what to do with them. Will probably place it in the kitchen.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually looking for a single IP camera as a request for a friend. After listening to his requirement, the most important features as follows:
1.) as he is not tech-savvy, operation should be as simple as possible, no or minimum effort to maintain, no complicated setup...no pan & tilt, you see I don't want him to call me every now and then....
2.) Reliable motion detection with mobile alert
3.) View recorded video on mobile.
4.) Reasonable cost

The camera is viewed only by him, the monitored location is a room which is seldom accessed, maybe once in a few days. Thus no need high-end processing power. The room has windows, cheap camera can trigger false motion detects like a sudden change in lights condition, shadows, sunlight, non-human motion, etc Thus need reliable motion detect. Will be better if has motion grid as well.

DDNS is out, needing to renew every month like with no-ip.com is a pain. Paid DDNS also out. Thus --> cloud camera.

I know of MIC brand (not available in SG) that meets all the requirement. However, need a local China HP for registration, and the apps in Chinese only.....

The Foscam C1 meet some of this requirement, a wide enough viewing angle, an IR sensor for more reliable motion detect. However, I read some online reviews it seem that the official apps cannot view recorded video, so hopefully some users can confirm. Of course paid apps can be an option, but has to support viewing of recorded video.

Having wired up much of my house with Foscams by myself, I I would like to share the following :

- Tinycam paid app (android only) is good for live monitoring, with many features. it is frequently updated, check their website for compatibility with your camera brand, they even take requests.

- I find SD card recording unreliable, there is only so much the small chip on the IP camera can handle. with multiple log-ins, camera still has to detect motion and record, plus user logging in to view playback.
this often leads to disconnects/reboots/hangs etc.

- a better recording solution would be dedicated NVR (cheap ones dont really cut it either, they dont have enough processing power to handle multiple FHD streams)

- i have read that many favour 24/7 recording so that nothing is missed, since motion detection recording does not work 100% for wadeva reason. Coupled with motion alerts emails & snapshots, this scheme should give the best coverage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.