Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
ProAddon is great if you have Tomato/DDWRT/MerlinWRT and intend to use VPN on a router level. Their optimized RouterPro VPN protocol is much faster than standard OpenVPN.

I have flashed my archer C7 this morning with the DD-WRT firmware.

1) If u intend to keep up with the 1Gbps/2Gbps/10Gbps dl/ul speed, dont flash your router. It will be really lucky for u to hit 300mbps after the DD-WRT is installed. Again, our ISPs never let us get close to hitting 100 megabytes/s on 1 Gbps fibre line. Do the calculation urself. In term of security, the difference is there but minor.

2) say u can hit 30 mb/s - 40 mb/s on the router pro VPN, that's only like maxing a 300 mbps line. As compared to ISP's 60 mb/s - 80 mb /s dl speed. openVPN is good enough on the OS platform not router-level.

stiwipl

Reaction score
I have flashed my archer C7 this morning with the DD-WRT firmware.

1) If u intend to keep up with the 1Gbps/2Gbps/10Gbps dl/ul speed, dont flash your router. It will be really lucky for u to hit 300mbps after the DD-WRT is installed. Again, our ISPs never let us get close to hitting 100 megabytes/s on 1 Gbps fibre line. Do the calculation urself. In term of security, the difference is there but minor.

2) say u can hit 30 mb/s - 40 mb/s on the router pro VPN, that's only like maxing a 300 mbps line. As compared to ISP's 60 mb/s - 80 mb /s dl speed. openVPN is good enough on the OS platform not router-level.

The limitation of 100Mbps via VPN (via router) is not really ISP specific but the limitation comes from weak CPU in routers that simply cannot handle such overhead. On desktop VPN app you can easily hit 300Mbps+ . I am not sure how it is now with these super high speed connections but when I had VQ 300Mbps I was able to max it out through Astrill VPN.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on PureVPN with good torrent speed? Can share your settings to optimize mine? Thanks!

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Recently tested a VPN to tunnel all China-based servers, result is amazing.

So far of all the VPNs that I have tested on accessing China-related activities, this N2ping offered the best experience towards gaming. Ping is stable, latency is low.

http://www.n2ping.com?toreg=69735&platform=email, u can use my referral link to test the premium service for 12 hours. And if you intend to purchase afterwards, we both will get rewarded. Otherwise, there won't be any bonus time. Try asking for their app's version 1.0.0.1507. With this version, I am able to enable all the protections from Malwarebytes. If not, just disable "web-protection" from some antivirus programs, then everything should be good to go.

IMHO, I am using Astrill + N2ping together to secure and access almost everything on the internet(even the deep web). Best part is, both of these 2 are able to work con-currently on the windows machines.

Last edited:

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Can pure vpn watch US Netflix and Amazon prime movie?

PureVPN is able to do that. You can test their service for free. But beware of their refund policy, not to exceed a certain amount of data.

While I was testing their service, I was shocked by the idea of "life-time". In the VPN industry, a life-time doesnt guarantee anything, and it's not good in the long run for their development. Most importantly, they dont own most of their servers. You cant expect good performance from some cheap VPS.

Any sensible users should have that kind of mentality.

Last edited:

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Is anyone on PureVPN with good torrent speed? Can share your settings to optimize mine? Thanks!

Only for climbing Bukit Timah, Torguard is offering the cheapest yet reliable and speedy service. Before paying, ask from the customer service for 50% discount. I forgot the coupon code, was something like "TGtime..." something. A year's service after the discount is only 30 USD.

Last edited:

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
The limitation of 100Mbps via VPN (via router) is not really ISP specific but the limitation comes from weak CPU in routers that simply cannot handle such overhead. On desktop VPN app you can easily hit 300Mbps+ . I am not sure how it is now with these super high speed connections but when I had VQ 300Mbps I was able to max it out through Astrill VPN.

Scenario now with Astrill is, the US IP on Singapore 1 is still there. I am mainly using 1 & 2 for daily usage. Was tricked by their secret throttling action. Upon first successful connection, speed could hit above 500 mbps, and after a few minutes later, they throttled the speed and capped at 200 mbps. A re-connection will bring the speed back to 500 mbps and thereafter, 200 mbps. Argued but no positive outcome. Overall, Astrill is a good competitor towards the most stable ExpressVPN. Funnies part is, while I was testing ExpressVPN, TCP connection was able to go beyond 200mbps, but an UDP connection only guaranteed a 80-90mbps speed.

Last edited:

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score

Anyone?? :s12::s12::s12:

Spoke with the Purevpn support but speed can't improve too.

With VPN off, BT can hit 10-12mb/s, now only 2mb/s at good times, average at 0.9 to 1mb/s. :s12::s12:

blurfish29

Reaction score
Hi, may I know how much you're paying? Normal or premium package? In the past I used some Chinese accelerators and they charged by day/week/month. Does this charge similar?

Recently tested a VPN to tunnel all China-based servers, result is amazing.

So far of all the VPNs that I have tested on accessing China-related activities, this N2ping offered the best experience towards gaming. Ping is stable, latency is low.

http://www.n2ping.com?toreg=69735&platform=email, u can use my referral link to test the premium service for 12 hours. And if you intend to purchase afterwards, we both will get rewarded. Otherwise, there won't be any bonus time. Try asking for their app's version 1.0.0.1507. With this version, I am able to enable all the protections from Malwarebytes. If not, just disable "web-protection" from some antivirus programs, then everything should be good to go.

IMHO, I am using Astrill + N2ping together to secure and access almost everything on the internet(even the deep web). Best part is, both of these 2 are able to work con-currently on the windows machines.

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
@suntanoi1983

care to share how / what is cost of n2ping?

Bro, as much as I do cherish the shortest question, since the best is always the simplest.

I would like to mention that, my test of this N2ping involved with ping, traceroute, actual dl & ul speed, as well as the in game experiences. Most importantly, since I have configured N2ping to be tunneled by my other VPN to run simultaneously, I disregard the fact that N2ping's configuration on perfect forward secrecy was done really badly.

Otherwise, Let's quote an example, I used Viewqwest freedom VPN account to play a Chinese game from QQ, I was able to get 60-90mbs latency, but VQ's VPN's support over China's contents after so many years are still limited. With N2ping, although the latency is about averaging 110ms, there is no packet loss, and amazingly stable. None of the VPNs in today's market that I tested was able to offer this experience.

Pricing - expensive but manageable. 15.90 USD per month for the premium service. There are many more details to share. Use my reference link to sign up and test the premium for 12 hours, then after u decided to pay, we both will get rewarded.

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Hi, may I know how much you're paying? Normal or premium package? In the past I used some Chinese accelerators and they charged by day/week/month. Does this charge similar?

1. I paid for a year's premium service @ 130 USD

2. This N2ping doesnt behave like a game accelerator nor a true VPN, it's only tunneling all your China contents if u opt to pay for the premium. I think they only have 3 plans, monthly, half a year and yearly, similar to any other VPNs ways of collecting revenues.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Scenario now with Astrill is, the US IP on Singapore 1 is still there. I am mainly using 1 & 2 for daily usage. Was tricked by their secret throttling action. Upon first successful connection, speed could hit above 500 mbps, and after a few minutes later, they throttled the speed and capped at 200 mbps. A re-connection will bring the speed back to 500 mbps and thereafter, 200 mbps. Argued but no positive outcome. Overall, Astrill is a good competitor towards the most stable ExpressVPN. Funnies part is, while I was testing ExpressVPN, TCP connection was able to go beyond 200mbps, but an UDP connection only guaranteed a 80-90mbps speed.

That's possible but even 200Mbps via VPN is not bad, considering you can max it out internationally (overseas files transfers). We all know Astrill is quite popular in Singapore and it would not be able to handle all those users with super high speed connections if they would not limit the speed on their local SG servers. Server hosting & international bandwidth fees in SG are expensive compared to Europe.

pangolin123

Reaction score
can anyone can comment on astrill's Unlimited Download Bandwidth Policy. Is there really such as Unlimited Download Bandwidth policy ? So far any issues ?

oric1

Reaction score
can anyone can comment on astrill's Unlimited Download Bandwidth Policy. Is there really such as Unlimited Download Bandwidth policy ? So far any issues ?

Meaning there's no monthly cap; no ISP throttling; gives you freedom to use the Internet as it was meant to be – without limits or walls and enable you to download and access whatever you want, whenever you want it.

I'm very satisfied with their service and have been with them for 5 years. Good speed!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.