NUS ACCOMODATION (UTOWN RCs/ HALLS / PGPR)

darthllord

Reaction score
Has anyone received their offer for the Residential Colleges in utown? (For those who applied this year)

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine's not in Utown but I went for my interview at Ridge View RC yesterday. Got the offer hours after the interview.

I click accept offer but nothing's happening though haha.

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine's not in Utown but I went for my interview at Ridge View RC yesterday. Got the offer hours after the interview.

I click accept offer but nothing's happening though haha.

RVRC is really efficient in processing it's admission,compared to Utown. Applied last yr but rejected it due to conflict with the academic programme there.

Anyways,I applied for Utown RC4 in mid-March,but it's still processing till today.
I am considering PGP House as a back-up if I don't get in to RC4. :)

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RVRC is really efficient in processing it's admission,compared to Utown. Applied last yr but rejected it due to conflict with the academic programme there.

Anyways,I applied for Utown RC4 in mid-March,but it's still processing till today.
I am considering PGP House as a back-up if I don't get in to RC4. :)

Ah, how did you reject it though? I can only accept offer but I want to accept it haha. All I get is a redirection to the check status page. Maybe still too early uh. They said results out in 2-3 weeks :s13:

I'm kancheong spider even though there's still a lot of time till the actual orientation.

Yeah, utown RC's definitely look better and got air-con haha but the price also look very nice.

The academic programme looks ok to me even though I heard some bad reviews? This year's batch is the first 2 year batch actually so will see how it changes in comparison.

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah, how did you reject it though? I can only accept offer but I want to accept it haha. All I get is a redirection to the check status page. Maybe still too early uh. They said results out in 2-3 weeks :s13:

I'm kancheong spider even though there's still a lot of time till the actual orientation.

Yeah, utown RC's definitely look better and got air-con haha but the price also look very nice.

The academic programme looks ok to me even though I heard some bad reviews? This year's batch is the first 2 years batch actually so will see how it changes in comparison.

I rejected by sending the RVRC admissions an email to reject.I wasn't into the 1yr programme, I applied the previous yr and didn't know anything about the current 2yr programme.Part of the reasons I rejected was due to the full yr commitment of the modules, I will rather clear the modules ASAP than do it for 1 full yr and there's one module that is workplace readiness, but when I checked the module online, it's more like PE bonding activities, not really workplace preparation. I will have chosen to join a recreational sports CCA instead of taking up a module on PE bonding and will also have the S/U mindset for full yr modules as I can't gauge my commitment levels taking like 7 modules worth 20 MCs for each semester. That was the past curriculum and it doesn't resonate very well with me.

There might be a different implementation of the 2yr programme, but overall I feel that the previous programme was daunting and I rejected it before hearing any news of the 2yr programme.

Yep, no interview call-ups and a friend of mine, applying to Utown CAPT, hasn't heard back as well yet. I am not the least daunted though,because I am considering of PGP House(PGPR),if I fail to get into RC

Last edited:

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I rejected by sending the RVRC admissions an email to reject.I wasn't into the 1yr programme, I applied the previous yr and didn't know anything about the current 2yr programme.Part of the reasons I rejected was due to the full yr commitment of the modules, I will rather clear the modules ASAP than do it for 1 full yr and there's one module that is workplace readiness, but when I checked the module online, it's more like PE bonding activities, not really workplace preparation. I will have chosen to join a recreational sports CCA instead of taking up a module on PE bonding and will also have the S/U mindset for full yr modules as I can't gauge my commitment levels taking like 7 modules worth 20 MCs for each semester. That was the past curriculum and it doesn't resonate very well with me.

There might be a different implementation of the 2yr programme, but overall I feel that the previous programme was daunting and I rejected it before hearing any news of the 2yr programme.

Yep, no interview call-ups and a friend of mine, applying to Utown CAPT, hasn't heard back as well yet. I am not the least daunted though,because I am considering of PGP House(PGPR),if I fail to get into RC

I see. Yeah, I think they are aware of their program being daunting so they switch it up to 2 year program. Still the same modules but we'll see how they implement.

Different people have different thresholds. Moi will probably throw myself into uni life heavily but of course, academics important also lah

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I applied to RVRC with the intention of not applying in there. I placed no preference for the options in the Utown applications(it was combined with RVRC last yr) as I was undecided between CAPT and Tembusu,it was also highly "encouraged" in the applications page to put no preference. I ended up getting RVRC as it had the lowest demand amongst the options. I didn't really checked up the modules before applying in,as I didn't know of module review websites till the later part of last yr. I ended up regretting it and rejecting my offer from RVRC.

I will have applied to hall if I was in for uni life :p However,I have a different goal in NUS,mainly there for academics since I am planning on applying graduate school abroad after NUS.[More time to spend in my college yrs and NUS mugging culture is really contagious]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Proximity
PGP is really close to my faculty,FoS. So why not cut down on traveling time around campus?

2.Programme
I learnt about the PGP House Programme during my visit to NUS Open Day this yr. It was located at an isolated corner near the hall booths,but many didn't noticed it. PGP House is a 1yr programme,with peer mentoring from seniors + clearing your 2 compulsory GE modules in PGP House,without traveling to and fro around campus.The programme was a huge draw for me.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/pgphouse/about-us/index.html

3.Culture
I prefer the more balanced and quieter culture in PGP compared to halls. Sure,it may be less community,but I don't believe that community in uni should be limited to where you live,but what you make up from it. CCAs and friends from your major,are avenues to look for community and with that being said,a number of my friends don't even reside in campus.(To be honest,I had a lot of difficulty when seeking advice on which RC to apply to as a lot of my seniors don't stay on campus)

Last edited:

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't know about PGP but for KE7 Hall,it looks to me that you need up to 4 CCAs,with a commitment level of 4 days a week,lasting on average 3hrs to secure your stay for second yr.

Good read if you are considering KE7 Hall.
http://liciasecret.blogspot.sg/2016/04/nus-hall-life-q-should-i-stay-in-hall.html

There are other avenues,such as:
Resident assistant scheme> Do admin work for the hall,RC,PGP and secure your accomodation for the yr.

https://blog.nus.edu.sg/reslife/2016/10/29/ra-spotlight-clement-tan-bringing-pgpr-r1-together/

PGP mentorship programme> 1yr accomodation guaranteed if you become a mentor in the programme.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/pgphouse/peer-mentoring-programme/index.html

Become a committee member in a recognised club in NUS and have the members who are not staying in campus,to nominate you to stay in the following yr for Hall,PGP.

http://nus.edu.sg/osa/documents/housing/undergraduate/faqs_for_residence_admission_scheme.pdf

Earn points and go for multiple CCAs.

If you are looking at RC,securing additional yrs of stay,requires commitment to contribute to the RC during your stay and be recognised by your peers in the RC.

http://rc4.nus.edu.sg/senior-retention/

I have no plans to extend my stay on campus though. I am happy to stay for a yr,since I will be able to interact with my siblings at home.(They are currently serving NS now,so it's quite lonely)

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't know about PGP but for KE7 Hall,it looks to me that you need up to 4 CCAs,with a commitment level of 4 days a week,lasting on average 3hrs to secure your stay for second yr.

Good read if you are considering KE7 Hall.
http://liciasecret.blogspot.sg/2016/04/nus-hall-life-q-should-i-stay-in-hall.html

There are other avenues,such as:
Resident assistant scheme> Do admin work for the hall,RC,PGP and secure your accomodation for the yr.

https://blog.nus.edu.sg/reslife/2016/10/29/ra-spotlight-clement-tan-bringing-pgpr-r1-together/

PGP mentorship programme> 1yr accomodation guaranteed if you become a mentor in the programme.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/pgphouse/peer-mentoring-programme/index.html

Become a committee member in a recognised club in NUS and have the members who are not staying in campus,to nominate you to stay in the following yr for Hall,PGP.

http://nus.edu.sg/osa/documents/housing/undergraduate/faqs_for_residence_admission_scheme.pdf

Earn points and go for multiple CCAs.

If you are looking at RC,securing additional yrs of stay,requires commitment to contribute to the RC during your stay and be recognised by your peers in the RC.

http://rc4.nus.edu.sg/senior-retention/

I have no plans to extend my stay on campus though. I am happy to stay for a yr,since I will be able to interact with my siblings at home.(They are currently serving NS now,so it's quite lonely)

Ah I see, have you applied for the PGP residence yet? Think it starts tomorrow right based on the dates?

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep,the first phase of applications is from 9 May-4 June and the next one is from 23-28 June.(limited vacancies)

I think I will apply for the first phase later in June as I want to get the notification of interviews,acceptance/rejection/waitlist from my RC first in later part of May,before applying for PGP.

If the RC waitlist me till 29 June,the acceptance offer date for PGP applications,then I will be forced to take up PGP instead,to minimise the risk of not getting into any accomodations.

Flakeydust

Reaction score
Has anyone received their offer for the Residential Colleges in utown? (For those who applied this year)

My friend from Tembusu got her offer a few days ago. She had her interview last week
All the people i know applying for rc4 have not been called up for interview yet

Flakeydust

Reaction score
Yep,the first phase of applications is from 9 May-4 June and the next one is from 23-28 June.(limited vacancies)

I think I will apply for the first phase later in June as I want to get the notification of interviews,acceptance/rejection/waitlist from my RC first in later part of May,before applying for PGP.

If the RC waitlist me till 29 June,the acceptance offer date for PGP applications,then I will be forced to take up PGP instead,to minimise the risk of not getting into any accomodations.

Wait isnt the deadline for rc first window in april ?

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wait isnt the deadline for rc first window in april ?

I was referring to the application window for Hall/PGP and that I will apply for the first window for Hall/PGP later in early June,if I don't get admitted into RC4 by then.

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the application window for Hall/PGP and that I will apply for the first window for Hall/PGP later in early June,if I don't get admitted into RC4 by then.

Oh, do you know if you can only login to the star rez portal on 9th May, start of the exercise?

Way things are going, I may have to email NUS for everything haha. (I had to email them to get my financial aid package and RC acceptance letter :s13:)

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, do you know if you can only login to the star rez portal on 9th May, start of the exercise?

Way things are going, I may have to email NUS for everything haha. (I had to email them to get my financial aid package and RC acceptance letter :s13:)

Ya,but I intend to apply in June,because I want to see if RC4 can notify me before I need to apply for PGP. I will be wasting my effort to apply for PGP if I somehow get the RC offer in late May.

Is it possible to say hold on to a Hall acceptance and (after being accepted via RC), reject the Hall offer and accept the RC offer ?
Or once you accept any accommodation then that is final.

additionally, isn't it risky to go for the 2nd application period?

This is common for those who apply for the 2nd application period of RC from 15 May to 5 June 2017.In that case,you get your hall offer before your RC if you apply for the first application cycle for hall on 9 May to 4 June and you will have the added pressure to accept by 29 June. In that case,you have to hope that your RC offer comes before 29 June,usually this is a problem for those who apply for the 2nd application period of RC.

If you apply for the 2nd period of Hall admissions from 23 to 28 June,you will be able to accept the offer around mid July. This should be no problem for those who apply even,for the second period of RC.

Problem= Apply second period of RC + Apply first period of Hall(You just have to hope that your RC offer comes by 29 June :p )

No problem=Apply first period of RC + Apply first period of Hall(got to apply for Hall to play safe,in case you get rejected by RC)

Apply second period of RC + Apply second period of Hall (apply for Hall to play safe,in case you get rejected by RC)

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya,but I intend to apply in June,because I want to see if RC4 can notify me before I need to apply for PGP. I will be wasting my effort to apply for PGP if I somehow get the RC offer in late May.

This is common for those who apply for the 2nd application period of RC from 15 May to 5 June 2017.In that case,you get your hall offer before your RC if you apply for the first application cycle for hall on 9 May to 4 June and you will have the added pressure to accept by 29 June. In that case,you have to hope that your RC offer comes before 29 June,usually this is a problem for those who apply for the 2nd application period of RC.

If you apply for the 2nd period of Hall admissions from 23 to 28 June,you will be able to accept the offer around mid July. This should be no problem for those who apply even,for the second period of RC.

Problem= Apply second period of RC + Apply first period of Hall(You just have to hope that your RC offer comes by 29 June :p )

No problem=Apply first period of RC + Apply first period of Hall(got to apply for Hall to play safe,in case you get rejected by RC)

Apply second period of RC + Apply second period of Hall (apply for Hall to play safe,in case you get rejected by RC)

I got my RC letter, said to accept their offer by next week. Accept already liao so now just wait for their confirmation and all.

That one also needed to email RC admissions to ask before they got my letter and all :s13:

marigoldhl

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hall applications open liao

Not sure if I should apply for hall as a backup to RVRC (or the other way round lol still undecided to go for RC or hall) because if I do I may have to pay application fee twice (RC confirmation and hall application are two different processes) and my RVRC interview is this Fri

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hall applications open liao

Not sure if I should apply for hall as a backup to RVRC (or the other way round lol still undecided to go for RC or hall) because if I do I may have to pay application fee twice (RC confirmation and hall application are two different processes) and my RVRC interview is this Fri

You can login portal yet? Keep saying my details not found

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since you are already having the interview so soon, is it good if you were to wait all the way until 4 June (last day of hall application) for your RVRC interview results before applying for a hall? So that you have more time to think and in case you get accepted/rejected by RC which may change your mind. Would this be a good way?

I had my interview last friday and got offered a few hours later so rvrc work very fast

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.