Question on KEF Active speakers

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I auditioned the LS50 Wireless and I was totally impressed with it. Only one niggling thought at the back of my mind, and that is, with active speakers and a lot of integrated electronics, what is the reliability/lifespan like?

I know that KEF is a well renownd brand in the loudspeaker world, and this being a relatively newly launched model, but what have the experience been with their other active speaker lineups? Appreciate some feedback before I commit :)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Adam Audio has 5 year warranty for reasons...

Don't get me wrong, KEF makes good drivers and normal speakers, but they probably determined that their target market for their home speakers don't have the time to on speakers much

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Adam Audio has 5 year warranty for reasons...

Don't get me wrong, KEF makes good drivers and normal speakers, but they probably determined that their target market for their home speakers don't have the time to on speakers much

Thanks. I'm really impressed with them and ready to plonk down the 3k for them.. just hope their actives are as reliable as the Genelacs :) *fingers crossed*

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm really impressed with them and ready to plonk down the 3k for them.. just hope their actives are as reliable as the Genelacs :) *fingers crossed*

Genelecs are the most tanky shyt for studio monitors... cast aluminum enclosure, round edges, grills (a very rare thing for studio monitors), and also a 5 year warranty

How to compare with KEF active circuitry with only 1 year
(Their passives / passive parts of the active monitor are 5 year)

Me would rather buy the passives, but everything has their own market.

Add: Thought I should share some alternatives... The LS50 is a "boutique" speaker, the "normal" speaker using a similar (or same?) Uni-Q driver is R100, which like most speaker lines have a bigger brother R300 with a 3-way arrangement using a slightly smaller Uni-Q and a standard 6-inch for the bass. R100 is around 20% cheaper than LS50 i.e. not by much, and the extra design considerations of LS50 is worth the top-up. But it comes with grilles. So this is what I would rather get over LS50 passive.

Last edited:

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Genelecs are the most tanky shyt for studio monitors... cast aluminum enclosure, round edges, grills (a very rare thing for studio monitors), and also a 5 year warranty

How to compare with KEF active circuitry with only 1 year
(Their passives / passive parts of the active monitor are 5 year)

Me would rather buy the passives, but everything has their own market.

Add: Thought I should share some alternatives... The LS50 is a "boutique" speaker, the "normal" speaker using a similar (or same?) Uni-Q driver is R100, which like most speaker lines have a bigger brother R300 with a 3-way arrangement using a slightly smaller Uni-Q and a standard 6-inch for the bass. R100 is around 20% cheaper than LS50 i.e. not by much, and the extra design considerations of LS50 is worth the top-up. But it comes with grilles. So this is what I would rather get over LS50 passive.

Thanks, appreciate the input. I'm opting for the LS50 wireless (actives) as I don't want to deal with having to find space for a power amp, and for matching a proper power amp to the speakers (on the LS50, this is sometimes hit and miss, unlike the ActiveSG which are matched already by KEF). Furthermore, it has all the connectivity options I need (USB, wireless, Bluetooth etc.) and I can easily just hook up a phono stage for the turntable when I want. I like that I have just 2 speakers and nothing else to be able to get great sound.

Sound wise, it truly sounds better than speakers that cost more. :)

petetherock

Reaction score
KEF makes fine speakers.
I am using the X300A.
If your budget extends to the LS 50, you won't be too displeased.
But if bass if your thing, then a cheap speaker and a sub will do better.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think anyone is doubting their SQ

But 1 year warranty on electronics on a $3.5k product? That thing better be using server-grade capacitors at least.

petetherock

Reaction score
Don't think anyone is doubting their SQ

But 1 year warranty on electronics on a $3.5k product? That thing better be using server-grade capacitors at least.

Most electronics have a 1 year warranty in SG. Even your 10k amp.
It's just poor customer protection rather than anything to do with their reliability..

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I agree, the 1 year warranty doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, and the difference from integrated electronics vs a separate power amp is that when there's a problem, it's likely a lot less expensive to repair the power amp, than it is to fix a broken active speaker. But, I'll gamble on KEF this time and see

Speaking of which, any nice speaker stands to recommend for these babies? KEF makes stands just for the LS50s, but at USD399 a pair (Amazon, before shipping) I'm wondering if there are better, cheaper alternatives to recommend? Thanks

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Pete. Yet to swing by to see the Atacama, what price range are they? Picking up my LS50s next week :)

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don't quite understand this part.

You're saying that the R100 is the same or almost similar to the LS50?

Grilles can be removed.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't quite understand this part.

You're saying that the R100 is the same or almost similar to the LS50?

Grilles can be removed.

The drivers are brothers of each other.

The cabinet is certainly different.

And that's why the price is different.

And I like grilles.

And LS50 comes in active version, R100 does not. OTOH R100 comes in a full HT setup version, LS50 does not.

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow im looking at this speaker too! still considering whether should i get it or look for other alternatives..

was wondering if it is suitable for living room

Koma75

Reaction score
What are the improvements? The website seems to be down ATM

http://us.kef.com/product-support

Update info is in the link. I am having the right speaker unable to detect the left speaker issue since yesterday (power icon keep flashing), even after the update. Cant find any info from the web, will need to call them to check on this issue.

Sent from HUAWEI MHA-L29 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.