[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its not heat related. my 2.4 and 5 ghz below 45 degrees, cpu at around 57. 5 ghz will still drop.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway, you guys with wifi issues or something, got try buying a cheapo laptop cooler pad and put it underneath the router?

I got one and done it, and my router doesn't feel hot anymore, and no issues so far

To me Asus AC88U is great but Starhub always cock up.
Lately waste my bloody time troubleshoot no internet,
it's just because I did not do mac cloning that is why
no internet after I update to the latest firmware.

KNN this Starhub is sibei noob one, talk to them I can flip table.
Spend entire day finally got my AC88U working. :mad:
I also put a notebook cooler underneath to cool the router.

Note if too hot, can smell electrical burnt.

tanbobby

Reaction score
Haven been following/reading this thread since the day I bought 2x AC88s and the advice given here has been invaluable in helping me optimise the WiFi coverage for my home.

However, I have officially "retired" them and moved on to commercial-grade mesh technology and most/all of my WiFi problems have been rectified. :)

It has been a blast using the AC88s and I, for one, have not had any problems with them.

Guess it's time to put these AC88s on Carousell. :)

Cheers everyone!

Hi, may I know which type of commercial-grade mesh technology which you have bought? Have quite a few on market.

Thanks and Regards
Bobby

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway, you guys with wifi issues or something, got try buying a cheapo laptop cooler pad and put it underneath the router?

I got one and done it, and my router doesn't feel hot anymore, and no issues so far

I put a cheapo usb powered laptop cooler below my AC88.. 5G also keep dropping like nobody business.. over the mother day weekend drop at least 3 to 4 times...

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Hi, may I know which type of commercial-grade mesh technology which you have bought? Have quite a few on market.

Thanks and Regards
Bobby

would like to know as well...

Advance apologies for this off-topic post.

I am running 4x Ruckus ZoneFlex R710 APs in the house whilst still using an AC-88U as a file sharing device. I value stability more than outright download/upload speed and these have served me well, to date, (2months and counting).

Fiddler

Banned
Reaction score
Any downside to purchasing this unit from a US ebay seller? Apart from warranties and other obvious caveats?

Will the adaptor work here?

My current Linksys router ea6700 is not showing the 5GHz network and is a bit old.

Does the Asus 88 have any glaring issues that should make me reconsider….sorry I just cant read 150 pages right now.

Thanks bros.

ray0006

Reaction score
i think the most glaring issue is the 5ghz wifi dropping issue is still not resolved with the latest firmware. i think u should consider other models even though i really like asus router for the past years.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS AiProtection

In the wake of WannaCry ransomware saga,

Have received some useful information from ASUS TW.

ASUS AiProtection can prevent ransomware.

The three main features of ASUS AiProtection:

1). Malicious Site Blocking - to prevent one from opening link have ransomware.
2). Vulnerability Protection - to prevent ransomware to hack and install some scripts on your desktop.
3). Infected devices prevention and block - to prevent ransomware from transferring data from your desktop to remote C&C servers.

More information/FAQ ~> https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012070/

Last edited:

Fiddler

Banned
Reaction score
i think the most glaring issue is the 5ghz wifi dropping issue is still not resolved with the latest firmware. i think u should consider other models even though i really like asus router for the past years.

wow….and i thought this 5GHz dropping only happened in my 4 year old linksys router….
i thought it might have something to do with the networks in my area being too congested.

Im not buying another linksys tho….theyre not very helpful and I don't care for their customer service.

Maxuro

Reaction score
can asus rt 88 work as access point for singtel mesh

I want to use Asus RT 88 as my second router (configured as Access Point) and used it as the first point for Singtel mesh, not sure if RT88 is compatiable to work this way with the mesh.

I just signed up Singtel Fibre and will discontinue with Starhub as soon as my network is up working well.

I intend to connect the Singtel provided router (AC1900) to the ONT in my living room. Also connected to the AC 1900 will be my Singtel Mio TV box that sits beside this router through LAN cable

I intend to connect another LAN cable to another 2nd router ( ASUS RT88U) about 10-15m away in my study room. This router will be set as access point. On this router, I intend to connect through LAN cable 2 units PC in my study room. This router will provide also provide wifi coverage to my 3 bedrooms that is surrounding the study room (i.e. study room is right in the centre of the 3 bedrooms)

I also intend to to connect Mesh to the ASUS router in the study room and a corresponding mesh unit to a 2nd Singtel mio tv box in my bedroom nearby.

Can this work? Will mesh be able to plug into the LAN port of the ASUS router configured as AP?

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Asus Transmission Power Adjustment

Does anyone know did Asus remove power adjustment? I check Advanced > Wireless > Professional tab, there is no Tx power Adjustment option. Both my RT-N12 and RT-AC1200G+ is missing this option. Or is it only available on higher end model?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know did Asus remove power adjustment? I check Advanced > Wireless > Professional tab, there is no Tx power Adjustment option. Both my RT-N12 and RT-AC1200G+ is missing this option. Or is it only available on higher end model?

not sure about the mentioned models, but i have used ac87u, ac88u, rt-ac5300, brt-ac828, all got the TX power slider to adjust power leh.. and default is set at 100%..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I want to use Asus RT 88 as my second router (configured as Access Point) and used it as the first point for Singtel mesh, not sure if RT88 is compatiable to work this way with the mesh.

I just signed up Singtel Fibre and will discontinue with Starhub as soon as my network is up working well.

I intend to connect the Singtel provided router (AC1900) to the ONT in my living room. Also connected to the AC 1900 will be my Singtel Mio TV box that sits beside this router through LAN cable

I intend to connect another LAN cable to another 2nd router ( ASUS RT88U) about 10-15m away in my study room. This router will be set as access point. On this router, I intend to connect through LAN cable 2 units PC in my study room. This router will provide also provide wifi coverage to my 3 bedrooms that is surrounding the study room (i.e. study room is right in the centre of the 3 bedrooms)

I also intend to to connect Mesh to the ASUS router in the study room and a corresponding mesh unit to a 2nd Singtel mio tv box in my bedroom nearby.

Can this work? Will mesh be able to plug into the LAN port of the ASUS router configured as AP?

I'm confused, why would u need ac88u as an AP when all you need is an unmanaged switch?

You can simply replace ac88u with a switch and mesh can connect to the switch and it costs much cheaper. Alternatively if you really want ac88u as an AP, then yes singtel wifi mesh will work too, because the ac88u will be totally transparent to the singtel ac1900 router, all traffic and connections will be handled by ac1900..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any downside to purchasing this unit from a US ebay seller? Apart from warranties and other obvious caveats?

Will the adaptor work here?

My current Linksys router ea6700 is not showing the 5GHz network and is a bit old.

Does the Asus 88 have any glaring issues that should make me reconsider….sorry I just cant read 150 pages right now.

Thanks bros.

Purchasing from overseas is not an issue if you don't mind warranty not being supported here. The power adapter is universal, some retail packages come with multiple plug converters while some don't, depending on where your package is buying from..

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Strange, this is basic feature and I cannot find it on my low-end model :s11:.... thanks anyway..... bye bye Asus :(
not sure about the mentioned models, but i have used ac87u, ac88u, rt-ac5300, brt-ac828, all got the TX power slider to adjust power leh.. and default is set at 100%..

ashbeck

Reaction score
I put a cheapo usb powered laptop cooler below my AC88.. 5G also keep dropping like nobody business.. over the mother day weekend drop at least 3 to 4 times...

I had this issue before. 5G keeps dropping like nobody business on my brand new AC88 from MyRepublic. I read the thread and downgrade my firmware to ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 and put a cheapo laptop cool below the router. It does not drop 5G at all for a week now. *fingers cross* Try it! It works like magic.

ashbeck

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to extend the 2.4G and 5G network on this router? this router signal is weak in a new 4room BTO flat. I wondering if a WIFI range extender helps.

My main objective is to have 2.4G and 5G network for the whole house without the need of changing SSID. not very keen on the mesh system as theres a monthly sub fee..

zhenhui

Reaction score
I had this issue before. 5G keeps dropping like nobody business on my brand new AC88 from MyRepublic. I read the thread and downgrade my firmware to ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 and put a cheapo laptop cool below the router. It does not drop 5G at all for a week now. *fingers cross* Try it! It works like magic.

Just got my ac88 from m1 on Sunday .. should have read this thread first ! From very happy to very angry ! Haha ! Going to downgrade firmware to 3941 later

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.