The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good shampoo to recommend for oily hair/scalp and hair thinning?

For oily hair/scalp, your best bet will be deep cleansing shampoo. Many different options out there.

However, since you are are experiencing hair thinning issues, suggest not to use deep cleansing shampoo that are too strong. A gentle deep cleanser will be more appropriate. Otherwise, it may cause the hair thinning issues to aggravate to a certain extent.

One option for your consideration - Carbolic Shampoo. The main ingredient - charcoal - helps to absorb the excess impurities and hair oils in the hair and keep the hair clean, scalp refreshed yet not overly strong (i.e. lower level of dryness, organic ingredients).

Also, consider buying hair tonic/ampoule. These can be found off the shelf and adding this into your hair regimen religiously will help to encourage hair growth. :)

katsu88

Reaction score
For oily hair/scalp, your best bet will be deep cleansing shampoo. Many different options out there.

However, since you are are experiencing hair thinning issues, suggest not to use deep cleansing shampoo that are too strong. A gentle deep cleanser will be more appropriate. Otherwise, it may cause the hair thinning issues to aggravate to a certain extent.

One option for your consideration - Carbolic Shampoo. The main ingredient - charcoal - helps to absorb the excess impurities and hair oils in the hair and keep the hair clean, scalp refreshed yet not overly strong (i.e. lower level of dryness, organic ingredients).

Also, consider buying hair tonic/ampoule. These can be found off the shelf and adding this into your hair regimen religiously will help to encourage hair growth. :)

Thanks for the recommendation

nichsong

Reaction score
GetZGY

*WARNING" WALL OF TEXT AHEAD*

Right guys, think alot of us here are familiar with this brand that we've talked about quite some time ago, and how they're just another one of those local e-tailer wannabes that are selling the same damn product from the same damn MIC lab.

As I'm always keeping track of emerging brands and products, I'd like to start off but first letting you guys know that I enquired about their reformulated matte clay product some time back, as I have had a f*king HORRIBLE experience with the initial formula. Being curious, I decided to ask them what the difference was as compared to the older version. That sparked off a whole new conversation with the owner of GetZGY.

In short, the owner (Never got his name come to think of it) has actually been keeping up to date with what with we've been discussing in our forum thread. And he's aware about our impression of his company, along with the rest of em MIC copycat wannabes. He then went into an in-depth explanation of different product formulas and ingredients to show that he knew his stuff. I was like ok.. After which, he pointed out that they were different from the other brands as they were moving in the homebrewing direction with the release of their unorthodox cream and pomade (at the time). Those who have read my older posts would know that I had always hoped for a local brand to create a legit, locally produced product that was of good quality, and not that MIC f*king BS. Despite this, I was still skeptical as my impression of them was marred from the initial experience with their products. The owner then told me to give him a few months, in which they were gonna develop more homebrewed stuff that I might be interested in. So we ended the conversation there.

Fast forward a few months, and they have released their new homebrewed "SingaPomade" and "Mad Wax" which have ingredient lists similar to what we see in homebrewed products from the US/UK brands. (Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Vitmain E etc). The guy kept his word. I then connected with him again, and he sent me a couple of samples for his "Mad Wax", one light pink (current version on the market), and one dark pink ver (alternative formula that is drier). I did try out both, and found myself to prefer the dark pink alternative as it contained less moisture which doesn't weigh down my fine hair as much. I then gave my feedback, and he is taking it into consideration as he reformulates the next version.

I'd like to end off by saying that my post here doesn't mean that because of this, I feel the current products are suddenly the best on the market (defo not) , nor am I saying that I am ignoring their MIC product range (Will never forget it, still f*cking hate it and the idea behind it). But what I'm saying is this: As a company, they have won me over with the way they handled the situation - by convincing and delivering on their end to actually make and create proper products. It takes passion to be able to source for ingredients, buy them and then put in effort to brew. Apart from Leopomades, getZGY is the only other local brand I know of that is doing such a thing. So respect to that. And as long as they keep within that line, I will definitely give my support. With that, there might just be hope for local hair grooming brands yet.

Last edited:

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Added Amida Tea Tree Scalp Control Shampoo (made in Taiwan) to the list.

Hair Wax

E.B.L Taste Matt Finish Hair Clay
- Pleasant smell
- Harden very fast upon applying on hair
- Sticky on hair after apply
- Able to create slight volume for short to medium hair
- Holding strength: very strong for short hair and strong for medium hair
- Not easy to wash off with some generic shampoo

Hairbond Moulder
- Holding strength: weak for short hair and very weak for medium hair
- Easy to wash off

HDF Claymation
- Able to create slight volume for short to medium hair length
- Holding strength: average for short hair and weak for medium hair
- Easy to wash off

HDF Qucksand
- Able to create great volume for short to medium hair length
- Holding strength: very weak for short hair
- Easy to wash off

HDF Sponge Wax
- Unable to create volume
- Easy to wash off

Indians Extra Strong Hold Molding Clay
- Clay texture and creamy in colour
- Lightweight and able to create slight volume
- Easy to apply but sticky on hair after apply
- Holding strength: very strong for short hair length and strong for medium hair length
- Not easy to wash off (based on Ryo Shampoo)

K-Clay Hard Floral Hair Clay
- Pleasant smell
- Easy to apply as it does not harden very fast
- Able to create minimal volume for short hair
- Holding strength: slightly above average for short hair with slight shine
- Easy to wash off

Mister Pompadour Natural Beeswax Paste
- Easy for wash off

Morris Motley Treatment Styling Balm
- Smell: Pleasant fruity smell
- Texture: Creamy wax
- Easy to apply and does not feel sticky on the hair after apply
- Slightly heavy weight and unable to create volume
- Holding Strength: weak for medium long hair
- Easy to wash off

Vantachi Hair Clay (purple) - new version
- Smell like cucumber
- Able to re-create the hairstyle easily
- Able to create slight volume for short hair
- Easy to wash off

Vantachi Hair Clay (gray) - old version
- Sticky on hand but not on hair after apply
- Able to re-create the hairstyle easily
- Able to create slight volume for short hair
- Holding strength: strong for short hair and average for medium hair
- Easy to wash off

Shampoo/Conditioner

Amida Tea Tree Scalp Control Shampoo
- Texture: clear gel type
- Smell: slight peppermint smell
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: gentle and cooling feel
- Smell after wash: no smell
- Hair texture after wash: in between dry and moisturized

Care For My Cut: Daily Shampoo
- Texture: white creamy type
- Smell: nice fragance
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: gentle
- Smell after wash: slight fragance
- Hair texture after wash: no or minimal moisturized

Feeling Show Shampoo
- Texture: green gel type
- Smell: slight minty smell
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: cooling feel due to the menthol
- Hair texture after wash: in between dry and moisturized

Hergen Loss Prevention Treatment Shampoo
- Texture: yellow gel type
- Smell before wash: nice aroma smell
- Smell after wash: slight aroma smell
- Hair texture after wash: not really moisturized but quite smooth

Q8 Carbolic Silky Shampoo
- Texture: black gel type
- Smell before wash: very slight gentle smell
- Hair texture after wash: dry

Pote Natural Organic Shampoo
- Texture: white creamy type
- Smell before wash: gentle nice smell
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: slightly less gentle than Vogne
- Smell after wash: slight gentle smell
- Hair texture after wash: slightly more moisturized than Vogne

Ryo Shampoo (Purple Colour)
- Texture: dark brown gel type
- Smell before wash: ginseng smell
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: slight gentle
- Smell after wash: slight ginseng smell
- Hair texture after wash: slightly moisturized

Vogne Aroma Essence Acidic Shampoo
- Texture: milky creamy type
- Smell before wash: very nice smell
- Feel/Touch on scalp during wash: slightly less gentle than Carbolic and Hergen
- Smell after wash: slight stronger smell but not as strong and lasting as other shampoos that I have used before
- Hair texture after wash: moisturized

Hair texture after wash
Dry <-----> Moisturized
Q8 Carbolic Silky Shampoo (dry) -- Care For My Cut: Daily Shampoo/Hergen Loss Prevention Treatment Shampoo -- Feeling Show Shampoo/Amida Tea Tree Scalp Control Shampoo -- Vogne Aroma Essence Acidic Shampoo -- Pote Natural Organic Shampoo (most moisturized)

Ryo Hair Treatment (Purple Colour)
- Texture: light brown creamy type
- Smell before wash: no smell
- Hair texture after wash: moisturized and smooth

Vogne Maintenance Treatment Acidic Conditioner
- Texture: milky creamy type
- Smell before wash: gentle nice smell
- Hair texture after wash: very moisturized and smooth

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has tried those hair volumizing powder before? I just came across this today: https://www.amazon.com/Got2b-Powder...4749361&sr=8-2&keywords=got2b+hair+volumizing

Is it like the shiseido stageworks powder?

Hair volumizing powder is to volumize the hair, but is in the form of hair powder. It is different from Shiseido Stageworks Powder Shake, which is a hybrid product of seasalt spray and hair powder.

Advantages of hair powder: Great hold, lightweight
Disadvantages of hair powder: Typically lower level of washability, higher difficulty in terms of application

SoggyBear

Master Member
Reaction score
*WARNING" WALL OF TEXT AHEAD*

Right guys, think alot of us here are familiar with this brand that we've talked about quite some time ago, and how they're just another one of those local e-tailer wannabes that are selling the same damn product from the same damn MIC lab.

As I'm always keeping track of emerging brands and products, I'd like to start off but first letting you guys know that I enquired about their reformulated matte clay product some time back, as I have had a f*king HORRIBLE experience with the initial formula. Being curious, I decided to ask them what the difference was as compared to the older version. That sparked off a whole new conversation with the owner of GetZGY.

In short, the owner (Never got his name come to think of it) has actually been keeping up to date with what with we've been discussing in our forum thread. And he's aware about our impression of his company, along with the rest of em MIC copycat wannabes. He then went into an in-depth explanation of different product formulas and ingredients to show that he knew his stuff. I was like ok.. After which, he pointed out that they were different from the other brands as they were moving in the homebrewing direction with the release of their unorthodox cream and pomade (at the time). Those who have read my older posts would know that I had always hoped for a local brand to create a legit, locally produced product that was of good quality, and not that MIC f*king BS. Despite this, I was still skeptical as my impression of them was marred from the initial experience with their products. The owner then told me to give him a few months, in which they were gonna develop more homebrewed stuff that I might be interested in. So we ended the conversation there.

Fast forward a few months, and they have released their new homebrewed "SingaPomade" and "Mad Wax" which have ingredient lists similar to what we see in homebrewed products from the US/UK brands. (Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Vitmain E etc). The guy kept his word. I then connected with him again, and he sent me a couple of samples for his "Mad Wax", one light pink (current version on the market), and one dark pink ver (alternative formula that is drier). I did try out both, and found myself to prefer the dark pink alternative as it contained less moisture which doesn't weigh down my fine hair as much. I then gave my feedback, and he is taking it into consideration as he reformulates the next version.

I'd like to end off by saying that my post here doesn't mean that because of this, I feel the current products are suddenly the best on the market (defo not) , nor am I saying that I am ignoring their MIC product range (Will never forget it, still f*cking hate it and the idea behind it). But what I'm saying is this: As a company, they have won me over with the way they handled the situation - by convincing and delivering on their end to actually make and create proper products. It takes passion to be able to source for ingredients, buy them and then put in effort to brew. Apart from Leopomades, getZGY is the only other local brand I know of that is doing such a thing. So respect to that. And as long as they keep within that line, I will definitely give my support. With that, there might just be hope for local hair grooming brands yet.

Good to know. The barber I frequent uses their products. Might grab a bottle to try nex time I'm there

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good shampoo to recommend for itchy scalp? Flaky scalp. Been using a few brands from Watson and doesn't seems to help. Tried Jason recently and don't find it help. Please recommend me a good one.

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

It seems like your scalp is dry which causes the flakes. Not sure for your case, but a common interpretation will be dandruff. You may like to consider scalp nourishing shampoo. It helps to nourish and condition dry scalp, and eliminates scalp related problems such as dryness, itchiness or even dermatitis.

As usual, this is one consideration for you. Zahara Nourish Shampoo.
zahara-shampoo.jpg

eS.KuKu

Reaction score
It seems like your scalp is dry which causes the flakes. Not sure for your case, but a common interpretation will be dandruff. You may like to consider scalp nourishing shampoo. It helps to nourish and condition dry scalp, and eliminates scalp related problems such as dryness, itchiness or even dermatitis.

As usual, this is one consideration for you. Zahara Nourish Shampoo.
zahara-shampoo.jpg
Thanks for the advice, will hoot one to try first. :)

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

nichsong

Reaction score
Good to know. The barber I frequent uses their products. Might grab a bottle to try nex time I'm there

They're almost done finalizing their latest formula for the mad wax. I'll most likely be purchasing a jar to try out, after which I'll probably leave a review here.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now sg suddenly alot of home-brewed.

i see the simi apestomen, ubersuave, all tiong stuff right?

lol but cheap, alot of kids buying.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol ya. you will usually find it at those cubicle shop.

tsk tsk, all looks from the same factory, same tin can. oem lolol

the apestoman looks like a copy of blumaan.

lol. bo bian, cheap ma, easy access to. i doubt its anything good.

SoggyBear

Master Member
Reaction score
tsk tsk, all looks from the same factory, same tin can. oem lolol

the apestoman looks like a copy of blumaan.

lol. bo bian, cheap ma, easy access to. i doubt its anything good.

ya they're rubbish. i also bought one apestomen comb to try. far cry in term of quality from my silkomb pro 30. can't believe they sell it for $7 :s22:

Heartyman

Reaction score
Anyone using Morris Motley Treatment Balm now? Or Chrome?

Which one is your favourite?

I think Morris Motley Treatment Balm is one of my favourite product now. Also the best I ever used.

PiPiChew

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi any Pomade to recommend? I have dry and thick and coarse hair. I prefer to achieve a Matt look, strong hold yet doesn't make my hair hard like gel. Able to hold my hair throughout the day so that I no need to readjust but in the event I do I hope it still can adjust a bit. Any such product?

Aga aga aim to achieve this look, the hair not the face ah :s13:

GyBaHKHl.jpg

Thanks thanks!

Sent from An Average Sinkie using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi any Pomade to recommend? I have dry and thick and coarse hair. I prefer to achieve a Matt look, strong hold yet doesn't make my hair hard like gel. Able to hold my hair throughout the day so that I no need to readjust but in the event I do I hope it still can adjust a bit. Any such product?

Aga aga aim to achieve this look, the hair not the face ah :s13:

GyBaHKHl.jpg

Thanks thanks!

Sent from An Average Sinkie using GAGT

this one sure need something to harden, if not how to stay up all the way.

try uevo grey matte wax.

strong, matte fibre like hold and can do restyling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.