Are spoilt laptops worth anything?

Avery5

Reaction score
I have several 3 to 8 years old spoilt laptops (unable to start up, pretty old laptops so not worth sending for repair), and a few that still starts but could not run anything beyond Web browsing as the fan is spoilt so it overheats easily.
Are they worth anything? Where can I sell them and for roughly how much? (The laptops were mostly dell, hp, Toshiba etc and costs $800-1k when it was purchased)

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u can try selling their rams or hdd, although its pretty hard to get any high amt. since some are damn old.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Avery,

You can repurpose them in the following way:

1. Portable Hard disk: with a IDE or SATA HDD to USB enclosure.

2. Ram: DDR2 and DDR3 - Sell for a couple of bucks / upgrade ram of your devices

3. Wifi cards: Depending on bios and white list, you repurpose your wifi cards for other devices (i.e. for an old laptop with card that only supports single 2.4ghz band to one which is dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz)

As for laptops with faulty fans, it's at most a $25 - $35 fix. There's nothing much to lose by dismantling and replacing the laptop fans. Components can be easily purchased from SLS.

Avery5

Reaction score
Hey Avery,

You can repurpose them in the following way:

1. Portable Hard disk: with a IDE or SATA HDD to USB enclosure.

2. Ram: DDR2 and DDR3 - Sell for a couple of bucks / upgrade ram of your devices

3. Wifi cards: Depending on bios and white list, you repurpose your wifi cards for other devices (i.e. for an old laptop with card that only supports single 2.4ghz band to one which is dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz)

As for laptops with faulty fans, it's at most a $25 - $35 fix. There's nothing much to lose by dismantling and replacing the laptop fans. Components can be easily purchased from SLS.
I have no use for these old components since my newer computers are well equipped with better hardware.

The faulty fan is probably due to wiring problems so would require soldering? Besides it might be hard to find a working fan that is compatible with the old laptop?

Should I disassemble the laptops and sell the components separately or just sell the entire laptop? Is there any level or shop in particular that buys old/faulty laptops in sim lim square?

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Not really that hard to procure. SLS has trove of parts and shops which solely sells parts - (personally did a 2012/2013 HP DV6 ) fan replacement for a friend. These components are generally also used across multiple models and series (such as laptop adapters), therefore it's not that hard to find exact / compatible replacements that would breath new life to the laptop.

Faulty fans requires simply the replacement of the whole fan itself (which is connected to the mobo via a connector). Similar to how desktop fans work albeit compacted in a smaller form factor.

A channel news asia insider info /documentary aired recently showed how easy it was to recover personal data and files even though a reformat has been done. So it's good to take out the disks and sell them without. Besides. It's nice to have a spare 60gb hdd (oh how time flies) / 80gb hdd on hand for archiving/ backups / file transfers.

Unless you wish to slowly sell them online such as on eBay, or Carousell, it's best to sell it but the lot. Am sure that there will be shops who would take it in. Not too sure on the price though

I have no use for these old components since my newer computers are well equipped with better hardware.

The faulty fan is probably due to wiring problems so would require soldering? Besides it might be hard to find a working fan that is compatible with the old laptop?

Should I disassemble the laptops and sell the components separately or just sell the entire laptop? Is there any level or shop in particular that buys old/faulty laptops in sim lim square?

Last edited:

u0206397

Reaction score

There are shops in SLS specializing in used computers. You can find them usually on level 3 and 4 SLS back lane.

First of all, they may take in fully working computers with no known functionality problem. But the quoted price will not be attractive, almost like a token sum for you for bringing them down. The salesman would say it's better to sell them for a low price than putting at home taking up your space. :s13:

If the computer has a known problem or a failed part, they may reject it outright, or low ball you with an extremely low price. :eek: Usually the salesman will say the part is very hard to find/fix, the replacement part is not cheap, or the computer is hard to resell for a decent money given its problem. But he is doing you a favour by taking it in. Up to you to believe. :s8:

In all cases, the used computer salesman will drive a hard bargain to press down the price. But when they resell, they will almost mark it up till it is like 70% to 80% of its brand new price.

So it's up to you. It's almost like giving away to charity when you try to sell anything to them. :(

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I was thinking how to sell them! I had a sager laptop..

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Graphic card spoilt le.
I found a replacement card.. I think keep in storeroom too long.. Try to use the replacement card but can't Turn on. Suspect MB also die..

Woo am interested :zotto:
Side note: You should keep it as a back up..

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I remember your case! Would a Mobo replacement be too expensive?

Graphic card spoilt le.
I found a replacement card.. I think keep in storeroom too long.. Try to use the replacement card but can't Turn on. Suspect MB also die..

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even the gurang guni will check to see if its i5 or i7 sticker then buy

the only laptop with resale value are macbook pro

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have several 3 to 8 years old spoilt laptops (unable to start up, pretty old laptops so not worth sending for repair), and a few that still starts but could not run anything beyond Web browsing as the fan is spoilt so it overheats easily.
Are they worth anything? Where can I sell them and for roughly how much? (The laptops were mostly dell, hp, Toshiba etc and costs $800-1k when it was purchased)
Such spoilt devices are worth almost nothing as it is no longer working and too old. You can check with PC dreams to see whether they want them. In the first place, why never trade in or sell it away before buying new notebook?

Last edited:

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
i have two.

Sony Vaio PCG-FXA47 (yr 2003(?) : Athlon4 Mobile 1Ghz, 256MB SODIMM, 8MB ATI Rage Mobility, 120GB IDE, CD/DVD combo ... warped screen, cracked hinge, dead battery

Lenovo G470 (yr 2011) : Celeron B800 1.5Ghz, 2GB DDR3, Radeon 6370M, CD/DVD combo, battery is mint ... USB controller issue rendering all USB ports not working, self-fixed hinge

i am also thinking what to do with these.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Worth roughly nothing

I still have a functional Athlon 64 X2 without screen

Not even powerful enough for htpc

smhong746

Reaction score
I have a few laptops that can't start up at all, how to erase the files that I had in them and any idea where can I sell them? TIA!

existential_reality

Reaction score
Take out the HD stick it to a HD reader and run a wipe program, sales wise I doubt they are worth anything unless you find someone who need the parts which will boil down to luck.

I have a few laptops that can't start up at all, how to erase the files that I had in them and any idea where can I sell them? TIA!

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry for digging old thread

i got a thinkpad SL-series forgot what specs liao

laptop can work but no display only.

anyone needs it ?

i dun wanna sell it. just giving it away rather than throwing down the cchute.

pm me if u want. :o

P.S.: HDD will be taken out for privacy purposes. got confidential works inside

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry for digging old thread

i got a thinkpad SL-series forgot what specs liao

laptop can work but no display only.

anyone needs it ?

i dun wanna sell it. just giving it away rather than throwing down the cchute.

pm me if u want. :o

P.S.: HDD will be taken out for privacy purposes. got confidential works inside

If laptop still with reasonable spec, you can have the LCD screen replace. What is the screen size? Which model?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.