[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Just got my ac88 from m1 on Sunday .. should have read this thread first ! From very happy to very angry ! Haha ! Going to downgrade firmware to 3941 later

Murphy Law.
Observe the performance of your router first before you do any changes to your firmware.

Maxuro

Reaction score
Dear Renfred89,

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to find D-Link 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch at only $39.

So am I right to set it up this way:

1. ONT - AC 1900: connect Singtel mio tv (living room)

2. AC 1900 connect via lan cable to D-link switch (study room)

3. D Link switch connect via lan cable to 2 pcs (study room)

4. D Link switch connect via lan cable to Singtel Mesh (study room)

5. 2nd mesh node connect to Singtel mio tv box 2 (bedroom)

In this case, mesh beside providing the coverage for mio tv box 2, will it also provide wifi coverage for laptop/handphone around the area of it's coverage ? (can Mesh wifi cover bedroom/study room and also mio second box)

Will AC 1900 provide wifi coverage around it's area of coverage in my living room area ?

Will the speed suffer tremendously if the network is set up this way?

Many thanks for your advise.

I'm confused, why would u need ac88u as an AP when all you need is an unmanaged switch?

You can simply replace ac88u with a switch and mesh can connect to the switch and it costs much cheaper. Alternatively if you really want ac88u as an AP, then yes singtel wifi mesh will work too, because the ac88u will be totally transparent to the singtel ac1900 router, all traffic and connections will be handled by ac1900..

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Renfred89,

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to find D-Link 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch at only $39.

In this case, mesh beside providing the coverage for mio tv box 2, will it also provide wifi coverage for laptop/handphone around the area of it's coverage ? (can Mesh wifi cover bedroom/study room and also mio second box)

Will AC 1900 provide wifi coverage around it's area of coverage in my living room area ?

Are you familiar with the concept of "venn diagram" ? It is also applicable to Wi-Fi coverage. The more overlapping areas you have in your house, the less Wi-Fi blind spots you will have.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's right. Mesh will provide WiFi and singtel tv. But the Singtel tv will not perform well if your WiFi connection to primary node isnt optimum..

It will be ideal if your site get TV set top boxes are on wired..

Dear Renfred89,

zhenhui

Reaction score
If you complete the firmware change, disable of some feature and put a laptop cooler below the router and 5G still drop, the only way out is to sell the router and get another non-Asus router.

Downgraded firmware so far so good ... I wonder what has changed ... maybe you are right that certain feature should be turned off but I am not expert in this haha

Fiddler

Banned
Reaction score
why doesn't asus sell the AC3100 in this region? Its the same specs but with 4 LAN ports.

not everyone needs 8 pan ports.

koburn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am facing a very peculiar problem with the AC88U.

Currently running this unit as a main router, the guy from M1 came and performed the necessary setup and all was fine, I was able to connect to both the 2.4g and 5g networks for the 1st week until last Sunday.....

Now I am only able to connect to the 5g network. My devices (iPhone, media box, soundbar, fan) were able to detect the 2.4g network but are just unable to connect.

Have tried to upgrade the firmware, downgrade the firmware, reboot, reset to factory settings, change channels in the 2.4g settings......and nothing works. It's important for me as some of my devices are unable to connect to the 5g network

It's really annoying to know that you have paid a decent amount of money for the router only to find out that some parts don't really work....

Does anyone here face the same problem and are there any kind experts who can help me?

Thanks!

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am facing a very peculiar problem with the AC88U.

Currently running this unit as a main router, the guy from M1 came and performed the necessary setup and all was fine, I was able to connect to both the 2.4g and 5g networks for the 1st week until last Sunday.....

Now I am only able to connect to the 5g network. My devices (iPhone, media box, soundbar, fan) were able to detect the 2.4g network but are just unable to connect.

Have tried to upgrade the firmware, downgrade the firmware, reboot, reset to factory settings, change channels in the 2.4g settings......and nothing works. It's important for me as some of my devices are unable to connect to the 5g network

It's really annoying to know that you have paid a decent amount of money for the router only to find out that some parts don't really work....

Does anyone here face the same problem and are there any kind experts who can help me?

Thanks!

Very apparent your 2.4ghz not working, go for warranty.

damnit

Reaction score
Very apparent your 2.4ghz not working, go for warranty.

I've seen this issue occur for many AC88u router over at SNB forums too. Is this a firmware or hardware issue? Looking to buy one but now I have my concerns.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've seen this issue occur for many AC88u router over at SNB forums too. Is this a firmware or hardware issue? Looking to buy one but now I have my concerns.

I'm using AC88U myself, no connection problem whatsoever. 2.4ghz and 5ghz rock solid. AC88U is best router I've used so far, I got netgear and Linksys also.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
So this damn 2.4ghz network only works for 1 week and then fails?

I think you may have to go down the service center to exchange for a new set.
Have not seen any issue with 2.4G for this router so far.
You are the first one with the reported issue.
I am not sure whether there are any issues with your receiving end.

The 5G dropping issue is also experienced on other Asus routers.
So, it may be some common hardware that are being used among these routers that is causing the problem.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So this damn 2.4ghz network only works for 1 week and then fails?

Buy hardware is see luck one, want to fail anytime also can fail you never hear what is DOA? Got warranty what, just go change.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.