Madosma q601

kewl

Reaction score
I have been a long time windows phone user. Currently on a lumia 830 and looking for an upgrade is tough, as the Lumia 950/950xl are still expensive and hard to find. I don't want to end up paying so much for a new device, only to find that Microsoft will eventually phase out the OS?

Looking at the current creators update, I noticed that the Madosma Q601 is one of the supported device. Specs looks quite decent, and I was pleasantly surprised, that you can actually get this device from Amazon Japan, for cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01IHNGHGW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

The retail price is 19980 yen, but if you choose to ship it to SG, Amazon deducts the 8% GST so it only costs 18500 yen. Shipping cost to SG via amazon global cost an additional 679 yen, believe it or not! Based on XE.com, this comes up to a total of about SG$240. Not bad price for a stop gap upgrade,

I also noticed that from time to time (at night only), there are some sellers who drop the price to around 10000 yen. This deal usually ends the next morning(or when they do not have stock perhaps). Only thing about these sellers on amazon, is that they do not ship to SG, but you can ship it via Vpost. Vpost charges around SG$30 for a 1kg package from Japan to SG, and the phone at 10000 yen plus 340 yen domestic shipping to the vpost local Japanese address, will come up to a total of around SG$160. Not too bad i say :)

I just ordered it at 10442 yen inclusive of domestic shipping, to have it delivered to a vpost japanese address. Not gotten the final vpost charges to ship it to sg, so lets see :)

Last edited:

sky1978

Reaction score
I have been a long time windows phone user. Currently on a lumia 830 and looking for an upgrade is tough, as the Lumia 950/950xl are still expensive and hard to find. I don't want to end up paying so much for a new device, only to find that Microsoft will eventually phase out the OS?

Looking at the current creators update, I noticed that the Madosma Q601 is one of the supported device. Specs looks quite decent, and I was pleasantly surprised, that you can actually get this device from Amazon Japan, for cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01IHNGHGW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

The retail price is 19980 yen, but if you choose to ship it to SG, Amazon deducts the 8% GST so it only costs 18500 yen. Shipping cost to SG via amazon global cost an additional 679 yen, believe it or not! Based on XE.com, this comes up to a total of about SG$240. Not bad price for a stop gap upgrade,

I also noticed that from time to time (at night only), there are some sellers who drop the price to around 10000 yen. This deal usually ends the next morning(or when they do not have stock perhaps). Only thing about these sellers on amazon, is that they do not ship to SG, but you can ship it via Vpost. Vpost charges around SG$30 for a 1kg package from Japan to SG, and the phone at 10000 yen plus 340 yen domestic shipping to the vpost local Japanese address, will come up to a total of around SG$160. Not too bad i say :)

I just ordered it at 10442 yen inclusive of domestic shipping, to have it delivered to a vpost japanese address. Not gotten the final vpost charges to ship it to sg, so lets see :)

It is a dual sim phone right? Can it do 3G on one card and 4G on the other? Or is it 2G and 3G/4G only.

kewl

Reaction score
It is a dual sim phone right? Can it do 3G on one card and 4G on the other? Or is it 2G and 3G/4G only.

I believe its only 2g and 3g/4g. Same with the lumia 950xl.

Seems like there is a seller on amazon japan selling this phone for 5999 yen now which is about SG$75. Sounds like a good deal to me :)

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

When u get the phone.. maybe u could post some photos of it? :D

androidmazon

Reaction score
I believe its only 2g and 3g/4g. Same with the lumia 950xl.

Seems like there is a seller on amazon japan selling this phone for 5999 yen now which is about SG$75. Sounds like a good deal to me :)

According to the information here, Snapdragon 617 could possibly support 4g/3g.

kewl

Reaction score
According to the information here, Snapdragon 617 could possibly support 4g/3g.

Even if that is accurate, I think only 1 3G/4G/LTE network can be activated at any one time. If you activate 3G on one card, the other will drop to 2g, and unfortunately will be useless in singapore now. I'm most likely going to use it for my SD card though.

kewl

Reaction score
why not consider the vaio windows phone? Full metal build and sleek industrial design?

That was one of the phone i was thinking of but ended up with the Madosma instead because

- 6 inch vs 5.5
- 32GB internal space vs 16GB
- about SG$150 cheaper

All i wanted was a somewhat modern and cheap replacement for my lumia 830 while Microsoft get their game together. Hopefully the next version of the Windows 10 mobile OS and hardware (if it has not died), will come up soon.

kewl

Reaction score
Phone arrived today. I had to re-order it as the initial seller on amazon, turns out to be a fake seller and my order was cancelled That explains why the price is half compared to the Amazon direct seller. If its too good to be true, it probably is fake :s13:

Ordered it again on 12th May. 19914 yen list price, but paid 18439 after GST rebate since I was shipping it out of Japan. Delivery fee direct to Singapore via amazon global cost 679 yen. Total paid is 19118 yen, which comes up to around SG$243 charged to my ANZ card.

Delivery is fast. 5 days to be delivered to my house. First impression looks good. Package comes with screen protector and a braided USB C cable which is quite a good quality. Camera focusing is bad, and it seems to not be able to focus fast. Will test more later. Build quality is quite good, similar to my lumia 830. When compared to my wife's Mi Max, its almost identical, except that its smaller.

Software version, I was able to update it to version 1703, build 15063.297. This looks to be the latest Creators Update :)

I guess in all, $243 is really a decent price for a brand new phone, considering the competitor, in this case a lumia 950/950xl cost a lot lot more.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That was one of the phone i was thinking of but ended up with the Madosma instead because

- 6 inch vs 5.5
- 32GB internal space vs 16GB
- about SG$150 cheaper

All i wanted was a somewhat modern and cheap replacement for my lumia 830 while Microsoft get their game together. Hopefully the next version of the Windows 10 mobile OS and hardware (if it has not died), will come up soon.
yeah, the vaio was nice design and build but the specs was bad. In the end i ended getting the alcatel 4s windows version which is posted about in a seperate thread. do post some pictures of your madosma when you get it. Does it come with fingerprint sensor?

kewl

Reaction score
yeah, the vaio was nice design and build but the specs was bad. In the end i ended getting the alcatel 4s windows version which is posted about in a seperate thread. do post some pictures of your madosma when you get it. Does it come with fingerprint sensor?

I honestly wanted the 4s because of its dedicated camera button! But then it does not support the 4G/LTE bands in SG, so you might only be getting 3G speed.

No fingerprint scanner for the Madosma phone. Will posts some pics when i get the time.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think there is LTE for the Alcatel 4s on the m1 network so it should be ok. What network are you on? Frankly the problem wp now is the software and not hardware. Wp10 seems buggy and unfinished even for the production release builds. Hardware won't matter much inn such a case

I honestly wanted the 4s because of its dedicated camera button! But then it does not support the 4G/LTE bands in SG, so you might only be getting 3G speed.

No fingerprint scanner for the Madosma phone. Will posts some pics when i get the time.

kewl

Reaction score
Been using this phone for the last 2-3 weeks and I must say its quite well build.

Pros compared to my lumia 830
- Metallic body as well
- Slim
- Huge 1080p 6 inch screen!
- USB C which apparently supports OTG, but not yet tried that
- 32GB space vs 16GB in my lumia 830
- 3GB ram vs 1GB in my lumia 830
- Faster processor
- Wireless continuum
- very good battery life
- dual sim

Now the cons
- Camera is not as good
- no dedicated camera button
- No accessories like cover etc, but i did find the oppo r7plus case fits perfectly (except for the misaligned speaker cut out)
- no wireless charging
- no capacitive buttons, uses on screen navigation button instead

Having evaluate this, I might be looking to sell the phone off as i really cant get used to the no camera button (biggest deal breaker for me). Willing to let go at 200 if anyone wants it :)

On the overall, its still a great phone compared to other windows phone u can get at the same price. Its still new and I've only used it for a few weeks. Its supported by Microsoft to get the latest buid.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.