*Official* Shiny Things club

Status
Not open for further replies.

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
Leave it alone in POSB (unless they start levying custody fees). If ever I need to sell Local ETF during rebalancing, I'd start from my G3B in POSB cos they don't levy selling fees (for now anyway. Re-evaluate when that changes).

POSB also have the option to transfer to CDP I think. Not sure if can transfer to SCB.

Also, fwiw, OCBC BCIP is cheaper for investment amounts of G3B between $500 to $1,666. Not that I'm recommending you maintain so many different accounts. Headache...

Hi Shiny Things, I bought your book 6 months ago and it was very informative! Ever since then I have been using POSB every month to invest $200 worth of G3B. Back then I didn’t have time to think much about investing. But now I am starting to think deeper about all these investments stuff and I got a little confused, got one question hoping if anyone could help out.

As I understand, POSB InvestSaver is not very economical if you are going to spend >$1000 buying ETFs and I should use Standard Chartered if it were to happen. But what if one day I have enough money to start investing >$1000 in ETF every month, what do I do with the ETF in my POSB InvestSaver? Do I sell them (in POSB) and use the money to buy more ETF (in Standard Chartered) or can I transfer them to Standard Chartered?

Thanks for any tips in advance =)

VaNs

Master Member
Reaction score
Have been reading through ST book and I would like to execute my investment soon.

I have about $700 in G3B via Posb Invest saver. (Just increased to $200/mth)

I have about $3000 lump sum (ie. initial funds) to invest.

Should I invest $2000 in IWDA and $1000 in A35 this time round through SCB online trading account? And continue G3B in Posb IS for $200/mth and inject fresh funds say 3 months later?

Thanks in advance!

leonardlimm

Reaction score
Hi Shiny Things,
I have really been a fan of you and am very thankful that you are willing to share so much valuable information :D

I would like to ask a rather dumb question, please pardon me im a newbie
So im currently serving NS and have decided to dedicate $400 each month into buying G3B.SI stocks through DBS. However since SCB has a lower fee of 0.2% compared to DBS which is 1%, Im considering to switch over to SCB. However, im wondering if it is possible to transfer my holdings of G3B from DBS to SCB.
Sorry for the newbie question

highsulphur

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Shiny Things,
I have really been a fan of you and am very thankful that you are willing to share so much valuable information :D

So im currently serving NS and have decided to dedicate $400 each month into buying G3B.SI stocks through DBS. However since SCB has a lower fee of 0.2% compared to DBS which is 1%, Im considering to switch over to SCB. However, im wondering if it is possible to transfer my holdings of G3B from DBS to SCB.
dbs cash up front has very low rates. you should just stick with dbs

Clone_

Reaction score
I have about $700 in G3B via Posb Invest saver. (Just increased to $200/mth)

I have about $3000 lump sum (ie. initial funds) to invest.

Should I invest $2000 in IWDA and $1000 in A35 this time round through SCB online trading account? And continue G3B in Posb IS for $200/mth and inject fresh funds say 3 months later?

POSB IS has 0.5% commission for A35 which will cost you $5 instead of $10 through SCB.

Can't really advise for IWDA.
I feel you can always add it later on to rebalance especially since your starting portfolio if small (unless the US market crashes and opportunity arises).

However since SCB has a lower fee of 0.2% compared to DBS which is 1%, Im considering to switch over to SCB. However, im wondering if it is possible to transfer my holdings of G3B from DBS to SCB.

SCB has 0.2% commission fee but also comes with $10 minimum.
So if you decide to buy $300 worth of G3B, you have to pay a $10 commission.
Stick with POSB IS/DBS until you are buying >$1000.

I'm assuming by DBS you mean POSB IS and not DBSV Cash Upfront.

unhinged_loon

Reaction score
Hi Shiny Things,

SCB for IWDA.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I login SPDR Straits Times Index ETF (ES3) website to see their financial ratio and there is one ratio I am confused, which is the Price/Book Ratio.

Currently the price to book ratio is 1.22. I am wondering whether the denominator Book value is

i) the book value of ES3 itself(which is the weighted average share price of the underlying stocks - all liability of ES3)

ii) the book value from all the underlying stock themselves(Their Asset - their respective liabilities)?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

It'll be the book value of the underlying stocks. The price-to-book of ES3 itself is always going to be right around 1.00, because the ETF creation-redemption mechanism keeps the price of ETFs in line with their value.

Also, I thought the first 3 months should be commission free? I was charged commission and the account was open in December 2016 and approved in January 2017.

It's a maintenance fee waiver, not a commission waiver; you'll still pay brokerage on your trades.

Is there a place in IB that I can view the simple statements? I am using the monthly view in the activity statements now but it is still confusing for me. I think I need more time to get used to IB. >.<

Thank you all! Have a great day ahead! :D

Yeah, IB is a little unfriendly sometimes. I think the activity statements are reasonably good, though.

Is there a hardcopy version of the ST's book?
Don't mind paying for~

Nah, I looked at doing this but I can't find any publishers that aren't vanity presses. If anyone's got contacts in the publishing industry (outside of Epigram; I pitched to them but it never got out of the slush pile), ping me a private message.

Hi Shiny Things,

You're still going to end up paying more at Stanchart, I think - last I checked Stanchart's got a $10 minimum per transaction.

Its rebalancing mth!

Just 2 qns:

1. Correct me if I am wrong, I should convert iwda(usd) into sgd for the rebalancing(110-age) calculation and not ES3(SGD) into usd since based currency is Sg?

2. After selling some and buying some to get to the ideal 110-age ratio, do I start DCA again this month immediately after rebalancing or I should start DCA next mth instead and leave this May purely for rebalancing only?

1) Yep!
2) Yep! You want to invest regularly every month.

hello all, I’m new to investing and would like to seek your advice! have read this thread a bit and it’s really great… thanks Shiny Things and everyone else :)

De nada!

1. since I can’t open an account with standard chartered (below min age), where would you suggest I open a trading account? have looked into OCBC and DBS young investors. while OCBC seems to have an overall stronger… program(?), the min commission for DBS for the LSE is significantly lower (USD 36 vs USD 95 for OCBC etc.)

OH MY GOODNESS. Don't pay either of those. That's extortion. Honestly, I'd wait until you turn 21 and then open a Stanchart account.

2. I don’t have much in my bank account currently (around $4000), and perhaps can only contribute $100 to investing a month due to certain uncontrolled expenses and uncertainty I'm facing. ignoring safety cash, should I just dump most/all of my savings into investing at one go, since I’ll be looking at a fairly long investment time horizon, or should I still try DCA? would the min commission and all that make DCA not worth it?
or maybe I should invest quarterly...?

appreciate your responses! ;)

Start with just the POSB Invest Saver. You can put $100/month into it, switch it on and off at will, and get yourself used to regularly investing; then once you can scale up you can add a Stanchart account as well.

Hi all!

Another newb here just after reading Shiny Thing's book.
I'm planning to take up the advice on investing in STI ETF on a regular basis (~$1500 / mth).
But the problem is that I find it hard to start when it seems that the price for ES3 is at its peak.

Should I just push ahead and buy? or should I wait?

How bout a dynamic portfolio allocation? If you feel ES3 has peaked, start by allocating your age + 10 into your Bond allcoation (eg if you are 30 then 30+10=40% into bond and 60% into ES3)

When ES3 falls, you start to steer your portfolio allocation to age -10 (eg if you are 30 then 30-10=20% into bond and 80% into ES3)
Mmm - I don't think this is a great idea. What if you're wrong and ES3 keeps on truckin'?

This is the sort of thinking that got people into trouble in 2009-11; everyone was scared of another crash, so they stayed underweight equities and overweight cash. By 2013 people had realised that they were wrong and missed the boat, so stocks rocketed 30% in a year.

I think it's better to keep a neutral allocation and don't try to pick the market.

Also, as people have said upthread, this is the point of dollar-cost-averaging. If the market goes down: great, you get to buy more shares per month at a lower price, so a dip in the market is a good thing! (I was pretty stoked by the SPX's 2% spew yesterday - my mid-month purchase in my 401(k) usually goes through about now, so I'm getting 2% more shares from my usual biweekly paycheck.)

Also: ES3's not at its peak! It's been higher as recently as 2015, before the big emerging-markets selloff.

Not sure if I missed something, any reason why rebalancing in May specifically?

Good question! It was kind of a convoluted process. My thought process was:

1) OK, the best time of year to rebalance is November. November is typically the beginning of the seasonal strength in equities, and it means you avoid the crappy illiquid markets that dominate December, when every trader has hit their budget for the year and given up.

2) It's slightly better to rebalance twice a year than once a year - anything more than that is overkill.

3) So... it makes sense to have the second rebalancing six months from the first rebalancing. That means May.

I'll do these next two together:

As I understand, POSB InvestSaver is not very economical if you are going to spend >$1000 buying ETFs and I should use Standard Chartered if it were to happen. But what if one day I have enough money to start investing >$1000 in ETF every month, what do I do with the ETF in my POSB InvestSaver? Do I sell them (in POSB) and use the money to buy more ETF (in Standard Chartered) or can I transfer them to Standard Chartered?

Thanks for any tips in advance =)

Hi shiny things,I have recently read up your e-book and is also a complete newbie in investing.I have a question which is,when I switch over from POSB invest to StanChart,how do I "move" the bond ETFs from POSB invest?

Also same question regarding moving IWDA stocks from StanChart to IB account.Does "moving" the stocks literally means transferring stocks from StanChart to IB,or selling the IWDA stocks in StanChart account and begin purchasing the IWDA stocks in the IB account?

1) I know you can sell your POSB Invest Saver holdings for cash, transfer the cash over to Stanchart, and then re-buy them at Stanchart; I don't know if you can just transfer the shares over.

2) You can do either - my preference would be to transfer the stocks.

Hello there, I've got a question on purchasing securities using the stand chart online trading account. It seems that you have to manually enter the quantity and price of the equity you are looking to purchase. Should you be entering the bid price or the ask price or some other value for that matter?

Great question!

I put a note on this in the book. When you put in an order on Stanchart, you're saying "I want to buy this number of shares at no more than this price" - so if you want to guarantee that you'll get filled immediately, the easy thing to do is to enter a price a few cents above the ask price.

That way, your buy order will get matched immediately with the best sell order sitting on the exchange's order book, and you'll get filled at the price of the best sell order, which will be cheaper than the price you said you'd pay.

There's a lot of nuance here, and big investors spend millions of dollars building algorithms and smart order routers to optimise the work-a-bid-or-get-me-done decision. For regular investors, because our amounts are small and our time horizon is years (and because we're talking about very liquid ETFs), we can afford to just say "eh whatever, I'll pay the offer".

Also, when would be a good time in the day to purchase? When the markets just open, about to close or sometime in between?
You don't need to think about this too much.

Markets are most liquid near the close, especially in the case of IWDA (it's most liquid when US markets are open, which is toward the close of UK time). But come on, staying up until like midnight Singapore time just to put your IWDA order in is silly. So, doing it at the open is fine too.

As we know, IB has the most cost effective commission fees for people buying IWDA, but they also charge maintenance fees for accounts worth lesser than $100,000

From what I've read, someone who wants to get started with IWDA, only has the two following options:
1) Save up till $100,000 and fund the IB account with a lump sum, then slowly DCA the IB account balance into IWDA
2) Start accumulating IWDA using Singapore brokerages. Once your portfolio reaches $100,000, pay a fee to transfer custodian from your brokerage to IB
3) Start accumulating IWDA using IB, and incur the maintenance fee until your portfolio finally reaches $100,000

So as people have pointed out, #1 is really not an option; you'll have a huge lump of cash sitting in the bank. My preference would be #2, unless you're investing more than about $1000 a month; once you get above that line, it's cheaper to pay the monthly fees to IB so you can take advantage of their tighter FX spreads.

Chance upon this thread real late, heading toward 30 and hope it is not too late to deploy my ammo targeting early retirement (say mid 50s-60)

Heading toward 30? Don't worry, that's a great time to start - I didn't really start investing until I was 26, and even then it was extremely tentative.

Armwrestler

Reaction score
Hey Shiny and all,

I just placed a limit order on SCB for IWDA, for quantity 12 with order price $48. The screen states that the total is estimated to be (but won't be confirmed to be..since ask price is $47.96 only) $588.88 USD (because 12X48=576. UK stamp duty is $2.88. Minimum charge is $10). That's how they reached that figure.

1. Why they never treat minimum charge as $10.70 with the 70 cents GST huh? Does this mean that if the trade does go through (for simplicity sake, let's assume the price that my trade goes through is coincidentally my order price which is $48), then my actual cost (which if I were to input in my excel/notebook) should be put as $589.58 right?

2. If I calculate in this manner, then my transaction cost % is it equal to $10.70 divided by $589.58 = 1.815%? Is this the right equation to calculate? Or should I take $10 divided by $576 (12 units of $48 each)? What's the right numbers to divide by?

3. So assuming from question 2, my transaction cost is indeed 1.815%, while people advocate to keep it at 1% or less, then I guess the most ideal would be for me to buy $1000 or more USD worth of IWDA each time I transact, right?

4. Actually the amount in my USD share settlement account is just a few dollars shy of allowing me to purchase 13 shares (it would require around $640 USD), but my SSA only has $637 USD lol, thus I hit a "no purchasing power" error just now. If it went through, my transaction cost would be reduced slightly to maybe 1.7% of total cost. But their website says on weekdays, I can only transfer more funds from my SGD account to USD account from 9.30a.m to 8p.m. What if I were to log in tomorrow at 9.30 a.m, convert and transfer around $50 over to USD account, then go to click "modify" on my pending trade (12 units ordered at order price of $48), then modify it to 13 units. In theory can I actually do this? Lol. Since I indeed saw a "modify" button for my newly ordered trade. All for the sake of lowering expense percentage from around 1.8 % to 1.7 % hah.

Thanks a lot guys.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey Shiny and all,
1. Why they never treat minimum charge as $10.70 with the 70 cents GST huh?...

2. If I calculate in this manner, then my transaction cost % is it equal to $10.70 divided by $589.58 = 1.815%? Is this the right equation to calculate? Or should I take $10 divided by $576 (12 units of $48 each)? What's the right numbers to divide by?

3. So assuming from question 2, my transaction cost is indeed 1.815%, while people advocate to keep it at 1% or less, then I guess the most ideal would be for me to buy $1000 or more USD worth of IWDA each time I transact, right?

4. Actually the amount in my USD share settlement account is just a few dollars shy of allowing me to purchase 13 shares (it would require around $640 USD),

0) There's a bug at Stanchart's end; there's no stamp duty on UK-listed ETF trades.
1) $586.70, leaving out the stamp duty.
2) I'd calculate transaction cost as cost / trade notional, so 10.70 / 576, call it 1.85%, but if you say "about 1.8%" you'll be fine.
3) Right.
4) Sure, this should work.

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
Hi ST

Read an article recently that commented the reason for the low volatility recently is partly because there is a lot of uninvested/under-invested cash sitting on the sidelines who are buying the dips hence propping up the market. Basically people are still cautious and holding cash and probably because of that, a market correction would be a long way coming. I guess a crash can only come when people are fully invested in the market and panic selling ensues.

Do you know how one can gauge the cash-richness of the market? If I have access to a Bloomberg terminal, how can I go about gauging this level of "investedness"?

If I'm asking the wrong question, please let me know what's a better one, thanks in advance as always!

ulancus

Reaction score
0) There's a bug at Stanchart's end; there's no stamp duty on UK-listed ETF trades.
1) $586.70, leaving out the stamp duty.
2) I'd calculate transaction cost as cost / trade notional, so 10.70 / 576, call it 1.85%, but if you say "about 1.8%" you'll be fine.
3) Right.
4) Sure, this should work.

"There's a bug at Stanchart's end; there's no stamp duty on UK-listed ETF trades. " >> Is this a known thing? I bought about 40 share of IWDA a few days ago and was charged with stamp duty which was surprising because the first time I bought a few months ago, there was no stamp duty charges for the same share quantity.

chuanz

Master Member
Reaction score
"There's a bug at Stanchart's end; there's no stamp duty on UK-listed ETF trades. " >> Is this a known thing? I bought about 40 share of IWDA a few days ago and was charged with stamp duty which was surprising because the first time I bought a few months ago, there was no stamp duty charges for the same share quantity.

>> Is this a known thing?
>>>> yep....

It only shows on the web confirmation page. When the physical confirmation slip gets snailed mail to you, it will be 0.00

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It's not a bug, there's no stamp duty on ETFs.

J_Vansen_S

Reaction score
Yep, this is correct; I've been variously told that it was a business decision or an MAS restriction, but either way, Singapore residents can't trade Singapore stocks. Singapore citizens living offshore, though: totally fine.

IB related: How about foreigner(Msian) working in Spore. Possible to buy Spore stock on IB?
Btw almost finish reading all 415 pages in this thread, took a week! and just bought ur book yesterday! Will have it printed when i receive pdf :)

Last edited:

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
No, you can't if the residential address you register with IB is in Singapore.

IB related: How about foreigner(Msian) working in Spore. Possible to buy Spore stock on IB?
Btw almost finish reading all 415 pages in this thread, took a week! and just bought ur book yesterday! Will have it printed when i receive pdf :)

Astro2

Reaction score
2 robo-advisor coming to Singapore shore...

1. Smartly - available to Singapore investor from June 2017.
2. StashAway

Let's see how's their fee like and what products are being offered.

flikmy

Reaction score
2 robo-advisor coming to Singapore shore...

1. Smartly - available to Singapore investor from June 2017.
2. StashAway

Let's see how's their fee like and what products are being offered.

Believe Smartly already has it's fee structure shown on it's website.

I do hope some of these robo-advisors will be able to survive in the Singapore market. It would hopefully push commissions down and increase competition on retail investors. However, the environment is pretty tough as Singapore is a fairly small market. These guys need a large population as their margins aren't very large (and we want them to be even lower). Further, some of the ways robo-advisors in the US make sense is by tax efficient investing. I think Wealthfront will buy individual stocks instead of the S&P500 etf to save on management fees and whenever it sells individual stocks that have lost money, this become a tax reduction for the investor. That tax benefit isn't available for Singapore investors since we're not taxed on capital gains anyway. Probably the greatest benefit to robo-advisors are that they force you to DCA and re-balance, taking the emotions out of manually buying stocks/etfs yourself.

foozgarden

Master Member
Reaction score

we should be buying the IWDA thats listed on LSE right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.