PS4 Dark Souls 3 - Unable to locate required DLC

fuzzywuzzyyy

Reaction score
Hi so when Dark Souls 3 first came out I bought a physical copy which was "Region 3". I bought the 1st DLC, Ashes of Ariendel and played it. I then found someone selling the collectors edition on Carousel and bought it. The copy of the game in the collectors edition was "All Regions", not "Region 3"

I hadn't played since then until now, when I bought the 2nd DLC "The Ringed City". After buying it, installing it and launching the game, I couldn't load my game as it gave me the message "Unable to locate the required DLC - Ashes of Ariendel".

I tried to re-download the 1st DLC, but when it reached the installation part, it said unable to locate game. Is this because the new disc I bought is "All Region". Do I now have to re-purchase Dark Souls as a whole?

XxGaiaxX

Reaction score
Hi so when Dark Souls 3 first came out I bought a physical copy which was "Region 3". I bought the 1st DLC, Ashes of Ariendel and played it. I then found someone selling the collectors edition on Carousel and bought it. The copy of the game in the collectors edition was "All Regions", not "Region 3"

I hadn't played since then until now, when I bought the 2nd DLC "The Ringed City". After buying it, installing it and launching the game, I couldn't load my game as it gave me the message "Unable to locate the required DLC - Ashes of Ariendel".

I tried to re-download the 1st DLC, but when it reached the installation part, it said unable to locate game. Is this because the new disc I bought is "All Region". Do I now have to re-purchase Dark Souls as a whole?

'All region' usually is a R1 copy. At times they works with R3 copy of the game, so probably you're out of luck this time round.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
This new "all region" collector's edition that you bought, have you ever played it (the main game, not the DLC)? Can it read your original save file (from the Region 3 that you bot, played and sold last time)? Do you have a save file from this all-region game?

If you have any save file from the game, copy the save file to USB drive, plug into PC, look at the USB drive under: PS4 > SAVEDATA > [16-char-random-name] > [product ID of the game]. The product ID will identify the game and region. US version of Dark Souls 3 should be CUSA03388, Asia version (which has English/Chinese/Korean) is CUSA03434. (You may see the code on the spine of the game case too, but that may not always be accurate especially for R3.) Generally, game saves and DLCs are not cross-region compatible when they have different product IDs.

Also, which account (what region) did you used to buy the 1st DLC? What about the 2nd DLC? Are they both under the same account?

fuzzywuzzyyy

Reaction score
This new "all region" collector's edition that you bought, have you ever played it (the main game, not the DLC)? Can it read your original save file (from the Region 3 that you bot, played and sold last time)? Do you have a save file from this all-region game?

If you have any save file from the game, copy the save file to USB drive, plug into PC, look at the USB drive under: PS4 > SAVEDATA > [16-char-random-name] > [product ID of the game]. The product ID will identify the game and region. US version of Dark Souls 3 should be CUSA03388, Asia version (which has English/Chinese/Korean) is CUSA03434. (You may see the code on the spine of the game case too, but that may not always be accurate especially for R3.) Generally, game saves and DLCs are not cross-region compatible when they have different product IDs.

Also, which account (what region) did you used to buy the 1st DLC? What about the 2nd DLC? Are they both under the same account?

First off, thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

So I went and copied the save file to a USB and it was in fact the US version: CUSA03388, and my R3 save data was no where to be found. So does that mean my R3 save data has been ovewritten and lost?

Yeah both DLCs were bought on my same asia account
I bought the 1st DLC and played it under my R3 account. I stopped playing until yesterday when I decided to buy the 2nd DLC (also on my R3 account) and launched the game for the 1st time on my 'region all' copy of the game and the unable to locate the required DLC error occured.

Last edited:

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
When you play the new all-region game, did you start new game or continue previous save? Do you see your old progress (level, armors, weapons etc) or everything is now back to very beginning?

If the 2 games are different product IDs, they should not overwrite each other (as you can see from the USB drive, they would go into different folder names). Did you previously play the R3 game using the same account?

fuzzywuzzyyy

Reaction score
When you play the new all-region game, did you start new game or continue previous save? Do you see your old progress (level, armors, weapons etc) or everything is now back to very beginning?

If the 2 games are different product IDs, they should not overwrite each other (as you can see from the USB drive, they would go into different folder names). Did you previously play the R3 game using the same account?

Nope, I didn't even get to start a new game or load my saved game in my region all game due to the error. But when I went to copy the save data, it was dated at around 1am, which was the time I tried to load my game, and that was the only save data present. So I kinda thought it may have overwritten. I hope not though

The last time I played my R3 game was on my R3 account, way before I bought the region all copy. I only attempted to play the region all copy when I bought that 2nd DLC yesterday

Anyway, I hope that when I get my hands on an R3 copy I can get continue my progress.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.