Noise beside the expressway. How bad is it?

nixiak

Reaction score
Hi,

Am thinking to get a unit which is beside the expressway. Development is about 50m from the expressway. In between there is greenery (hopefully can block out the 24/7 noise). Garden on the 5th level, hopefully can absorb more noise.

Some say noise travel up, some say noise travels in all direction. Will living at 30 levels or higher still be disturbed by the noise? Anyone has experience living beside the expressway at high levels? Please enlighten. Thanks!

busybody1

Reaction score
Don't buy!!..next time if u sell, u going to take very very long to sell.

Hi,

Am thinking to get a unit which is beside the expressway. Development is about 50m from the expressway. In between there is greenery (hopefully can block out the 24/7 noise). Garden on the 5th level, hopefully can absorb more noise.

Some say noise travel up, some say noise travels in all direction. Will living at 30 levels or higher still be disturbed by the noise? Anyone has experience living beside the expressway at high levels? Please enlighten. Thanks!

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hi buddy, the best place to experience it for yourself is Tenteram Peak.

Maybe highway noise is just not meant for me.

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the build parallel or perpendicular to the expressway?

my house, 11 floor, is app 100m perpendicular to the expressway

at times can hear only siren

kyteo79

Reaction score
cant sleep ...count the cars ...

See Ambush ???...pls inform us if you see snipers ambush to snipe cars ..

matrixx

Reaction score
Personal advice: pls dun buy. The constant traffic grinding at the background does not allow u to have a peaceful environment. Long term wise it might affect ur well-being.

LiteHouse

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Are you referring to the BTO plot Clementi Peaks?

Just note that expressway always always have vechicles in motion. Compared to next to MRT station or LRT station, the machines stop operations after midnight. So there's around 5 hours of sleeping peacefully?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not need expressway to have noise and dirt.

I was staying top floor, level 4 along bedok reservoir road. The noise can get use to after sometime except watching tv. You need to close windows and sliding doors. But the dust is the most important factor, if you are the one cleaning the house.

I was also staying along tanjong katong south at level 5. The noise also can get use after sometime except when watching tv. But the dust was a real concern.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not need expressway to have noise and dirt.

I was staying top floor, level 4 along bedok reservoir road. The noise can get use to after sometime except watching tv. You need to close windows and sliding doors. But the dust is the most important factor, if you are the one cleaning the house.

I was also staying along tanjong katong south at level 5. The noise also can get use after sometime except when watching tv. But the dust was a real concern.

Bro, highway is really different. Main or minor road still ok and I suggest TS go Tenteram Peak to have a good feel of highway noise.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There was a news article on this topic last month:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/housing/sounds-awful-cant-sleep-cant-talk-because-of-noise

Might be an interesting read for you. There's a video in the link too, from a company that measured the decibel levels at a few places.

If no choice, one way to mitigate the noise is to install double glazed windows and keep them closed.

Excellent article on noise. Didn't know Serangoon and Clementi is one of the most noisy estates :s13:.

fatfleaz

Reaction score
Avoid direct facing to expressway, if possible.

I'm staying about 100m away from expressway, not full-on direct facing. The noise is there in the background but I don't really hear it.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Dusty and Noisy.
Very bad...
Not recommend if you want it for own stay.
Will affect your health and mood.

Wk7777

Reaction score
I have friend staying at Skyline directly facing the expressway.... stunning view of the sea.... irritating noise from expressway 24/7.... from lower floors all the way to penthouse complaining...imagine u have a nice balcony but then u need to close the windows all the time... then what's the point?

unless u get the block that is facing away from the expressway.... then not so bad

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.