ASUS RT-AC1200G Router

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The n56u uses ralink chip unlike most later asus "highend" routers which use broadcom. All the way till the gt-ac5300 then there was some major change. But that model is immature and youll only be paying to beta test for asus if you buy now. Lol.

Sent from the Salt using GAGT

-Grift-

Reaction score
If thats the case then have to really consider things like Edge Router Lite when N56U dies :s22:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just reconned myself and I actually tried swapping my old AC66U with my N56U as "router" as I run AC66U&AC87U as AP mode and N56U as router mode. The AC66U could not run full gigabit LAN from

ONT -> AC66U(router) -> AC87U(AP) -> PC [All on Cat 5e] 700 - <= 800 Mbps

while my old N56U running padavan could ! :eek:

ONT -> N56U(router) -> AC87U(AP) -> PC [All on Cat 5e] 900 - <= 940 Mbps

Not sure if the AC1200G+ is capable though

i wouldn't be surprised n56u is yielding a better result than ac66u if your n56u is already in router mode prior to the swap to ac66u from AP mode.

I am wondering if you did reboot your ac66u after the change of operation mode to router mode, and that you have rebooted all the equipment sequentially?

I personally have not used ac66u before so i can't comment on its performance, but on paper it looks decent in terms of specs sheet.

I realise a phenomenon regarding the routers and ONTs, whenever you add a new equipment into the network, you have to sequentially reboot the equipments if the newly added equipment is after the ONT and before the APs. On the contrary, if you add anything behind the router/ap, you don't have to reboot whatever is in front if otherwise normal.

Cant really explain the reason though, I tried multiple routers before with ac828/ac5300/c5400 as routers between ONT and APs, i did have similar lower speed results. You can choose to wait a while longer to see if your speed returns to normal, otherwise if you are as inpatient as me, just reboot everything lor..

-Grift-

Reaction score
i wouldn't be surprised n56u is yielding a better result than ac66u if your n56u is already in router mode prior to the swap to ac66u from AP mode.

I am wondering if you did reboot your ac66u after the change of operation mode to router mode, and that you have rebooted all the equipment sequentially?

I personally have not used ac66u before so i can't comment on its performance, but on paper it looks decent in terms of specs sheet.

I realise a phenomenon regarding the routers and ONTs, whenever you add a new equipment into the network, you have to sequentially reboot the equipments if the newly added equipment is after the ONT and before the APs. On the contrary, if you add anything behind the router/ap, you don't have to reboot whatever is in front if otherwise normal.

Cant really explain the reason though, I tried multiple routers before with ac828/ac5300/c5400 as routers between ONT and APs, i did have similar lower speed results. You can choose to wait a while longer to see if your speed returns to normal, otherwise if you are as inpatient as me, just reboot everything lor..

Yup updated firmware to latest Merlin, factory reset and rebooted whole network a few times

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, any network experts can share what settings will be best to optimize my AC-RT1200G+ wifi speed and signal?

I'm on Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_3971

esag4vWSA.png

1rCgFadhi.png

Don't know how to insert image, but those are my current settings. TIA!

BlackLabel618

Reaction score
I am currently on linksys ea9200 on Singtel 1gbs. Just changed to m1 1gbs. Is it worth swapping the ea9200 with 1200+? Or just continue with the ea9200?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am currently on linksys ea9200 on Singtel 1gbs. Just changed to m1 1gbs. Is it worth swapping the ea9200 with 1200+? Or just continue with the ea9200?

ea9200 is AC3200 router. 1200+ is less then half of ea9200 bandwidth.

Reaction score
Hi all. I am also facing the same problem. From what I've read so far, both 56S and 1200G+ are about the same.

So is it ok for me to just use 1200G+ as an access point?

Since 1200G+ has a better coverage and my main router's location is near my house entrance. So abit wasted to use the 1200G+ as the main router if my masterbed room cannot get any connection from the main router and no major speed difference even if I use 1200G+ as main router.

Any help will be appreciated ty!!

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am also facing the same problem. From what I've read so far, both 56S and 1200G+ are about the same.

So is it ok for me to just use 1200G+ as an access point?

Since 1200G+ has a better coverage and my main router's location is near my house entrance. So abit wasted to use the 1200G+ as the main router if my masterbed room cannot get any connection from the main router and no major speed difference even if I use 1200G+ as main router.

Any help will be appreciated ty!!

Coverage u will definitely get it since u are using it to expand and cover blindspot. But for speed is really dependent on your client device and environment. If I have a powerful client, the expected speed will be higher. But if u are using a mid range, dun expect that u get the same speed as higher end client. Client device means like handphone and laptop.

Reaction score
Coverage u will definitely get it since u are using it to expand and cover blindspot. But for speed is really dependent on your client device and environment. If I have a powerful client, the expected speed will be higher. But if u are using a mid range, dun expect that u get the same speed as higher end client. Client device means like handphone and laptop.

Icic... thanks for the explanation. So, assuming that my client device is top notch, will the difference between using 1200G+ as main router versus using 56s as main router be huge? or negligible?

(Also assuming my fibre broadband is 1Gbps)

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Icic... thanks for the explanation. So, assuming that my client device is top notch, will the difference between using 1200G+ as main router versus using 56s as main router be huge? or negligible?

(Also assuming my fibre broadband is 1Gbps)

well i still think not so much since both capabilities are about the same. (btw top notch so far still cant really hit 1gbps :o)

Gundam_seed

Reaction score
I'm oso wondering should I change to the new router? If speed not much diff sounds like a bit of a hassle to change at all 😂

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm oso wondering should I change to the new router? If speed not much diff sounds like a bit of a hassle to change at all 😂

this really depends on what client devices and isp speed u sign up. if really can reach more than 500mbps best get those better ones :o

Mng85

Reaction score
I am considering m1 free asus router ac1200, ubiquiti router x or xiaomi pro to my ubiquiti ap.

Most impt is router processing followed by feature.

Likely to have 2 lan from router n at least 10 device connected at one time.

Any advice

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the range for 1200g+ a lot better than 56s?

1200g+ has external antennas. I don't have this model but I believe your placement is important as well. My AC68 is good enough to deliver wifi to every end of my 4-room HDB flat.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.