The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the lenses they used are those "slightly lower quality" and not really suppose to be meant for half frames. Full frame lenses you can surely find for that price though. But with the price you pay, you can expect the quality of the lenses to be in equivalent to it. Sometimes it's really better to invest more in the lenses unless cost and other reasons might call for otherwise.

I see, thanks so much for the info! I'm clueless when it comes to such things. Always wondered if I was getting ripped off because people seem to be getting their full/half frame spectacles for <$100 (brandless ones).

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gangsterkia, i will check with my optical shop later.

Yea man... Most important is not about lenses or frames... The key is the quality of your optician or the person making the prescription and handling because you need to rely on this person for the best advice to give you and also making adjustment for you. Best is those private practice with some years of experience and preferably have own lab in shop as well.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And its best to deal directly with the boss or person in charge of the private practice because any problems with lenses the boss can call the shots to redo for you foc and make compromises unlike the staff in chain stores who cant make the call...

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Daneyoung for the detailed explanation, will stick back to hoya, but heard this is obsolete, is this true ?

Even if its obsolete something better will replace it. But dont expect to pay the same as last time you make your lenses because prices have been revised up. Im sure hoya lens should last you quite a number of years due to its quality coating.

daneyong

Reaction score
Anyone knows how much rimless spectacles (polycarbonate lens degree about 400 now) usually cost? Is $100 possible? My usual optician always charges $400 and I've to change every year because degree keeps increasing.

Hi Datalock, I'm sure the very reason why you always go back to your Optician is because 1) You trust he/she does a good job of testing your eyes. 2) You trust he/she will always give you the BEST ADVISE in your choice of Frame and Lenses. 3) You trust he/she will give you NOT JUST THE BEST PRICE, but also BEST VALUE for the price you pay for.

If any of the 3 reasons is not true, then you might wanna reconsider going back to them.

daneyong

Reaction score
Thanks Daneyoung for the detailed explanation, will stick back to hoya, but heard this is obsolete, is this true ?

Hi Leongheng, most of the lenses from a particular Company will always use back the same "Successful" Design. This will allow their own customers to be able to adapt and upgrade to their own lenses. And Summit Pro is one of their most Successful lenses, they will not discontinue it. So no worries.

daneyong

Reaction score
Yea man... Most important is not about lenses or frames... The key is the quality of your optician or the person making the prescription and handling because you need to rely on this person for the best advice to give you and also making adjustment for you. Best is those private practice with some years of experience and preferably have own lab in shop as well.

I have an opposing opinion compared to Seannie. I prefer Chain-store because usually they will do all the exchanges, compensation when you have problems. You don't always have to wait, look for the boss only. Any staffs can serve, help you. Chain-store also always send their staffs for training and knowledge upgrading. Just my 2 cents worth

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Ooh so true. The optical shop that I went to has their own lab in shop as well.

daneyong

Reaction score
Hi MeowEatsFish, the Hoya Blue-Control has been around for some time. It has the same function as Essilor's Prevencia and Carl Zeiss's BlueProtect. They can shield your eyes from the Harmful Blue-Violet light from LED lights, Tablets, TV and Computer Screen. Just bear in mind that they all advertised they can shield up to 70% of that Blue-Violet rays.

So why choose one over the other? IMO, it depends on past personal experience with the individual lens companies, like clarity, lens coating peel or scratches etc. There is also another lens called "Blue-Zero", Blue-Cut or Perfect UV which advertise that they can CUT 100% of Blue-Violet Rays. I would says they cut upto 90% depending on your prescription, lens indexes.

Just bear in mind, whether Blue-Control, Prevencia, BlueProtect, Blue-Zero etc. They all gives a slight yellowish tint! Which means that if you are into designing, an Artist or jobs that require you to see Colours in great accuracy, you might wanna avoid these lenses. Otherwise, they are good and your eyes feel less strain.

MeowEatsFish

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi MeowEatsFish, the Hoya Blue-Control has been around for some time. It has the same function as Essilor's Prevencia and Carl Zeiss's BlueProtect. They can shield your eyes from the Harmful Blue-Violet light from LED lights, Tablets, TV and Computer Screen. Just bear in mind that they all advertised they can shield up to 70% of that Blue-Violet rays.

So why choose one over the other? IMO, it depends on past personal experience with the individual lens companies, like clarity, lens coating peel or scratches etc. There is also another lens called "Blue-Zero", Blue-Cut or Perfect UV which advertise that they can CUT 100% of Blue-Violet Rays. I would says they cut upto 90% depending on your prescription, lens indexes.

Just bear in mind, whether Blue-Control, Prevencia, BlueProtect, Blue-Zero etc. They all gives a slight yellowish tint! Which means that if you are into designing, an Artist or jobs that require you to see Colours in great accuracy, you might wanna avoid these lenses. Otherwise, they are good and your eyes feel less strain.

I opted for the more pronounced blue :s13: which Hoya gives. I tried the sample lens , and tried the one with yellowish tint and purple too that some people say.

It's of no issues to me. :)

Just that for the price quoted , if it would be more expensive if I were to make it in SG , or less?

1.6 index , digital lens , Ray Ban frames , with blue control and multicoating.

Sent from LGE NEXUS 5X using GAGT

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Nikon seemax lens? How is its durability in terms of scratches and peeling of the coatings ? :s11:

edit: What are the reputable shops to do eye test?

Last edited:

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Danxiaogui, I think in Singapore nowadays. You walk into 10 shops, all their prices are almost the same if they take out the Carl Zeiss RRP List?? Some shops may offer a 10% discount. But this discount is insignificant IMO. What's important is whether when you have problems with the lenses or Silhouette Frame, they are the authorized dealer/reseller. Especially Silhouette Frame, they are flimsy and need a lot of adjustment by the shop before they can fit properly on our face.

Proper eye test is important too. If you are going to spend this much amount of money why not find a more reputable shop to do a proper eye test?

Thank you dane for your reply. I do agree with what you said.

Any good and nice rimless frame currently in the market?

LinhLe

Reaction score
Question about fitting Hoya Nulux EP

Hi guys,
I'm myope and want to get a new pair of glasses.
My Rx:
(R) Sph. -7.75, Cyl. -0.75, Axis 90
(L) Sph. -6.50, Cyl. -0.75, Axis 90
I have a few questions regarding Hoya Nulux EP:

1. Is Nulux EP a free form lense? Does Hoya have better or other SV FF?

2. What measurements does it need to fit the Nulux EP? Just PD, frame dimensions or it needs more like panto,... ? I ask because I found a link on Rakuten, which offers Nulux EP 1.74 with good price ($350)

3. I understand that Hoya 1.7 lenses have better Abbe number than 1.67 or 1.74. Will it affect the lense's clarity and is it a thing I need to worry about?

4. Is SV FF worth it?

5. Any alternatives you would recommend me? And their prices too.

Thank you!:)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Good morning!

1) yes nulux ep is a free form lens and is currently the best sv ff that Hoya has.

2)pretty subjective as I know of some cases taking just basic pd is better than adding extra info like pento, frame wrap angle, vertex distance and all.. and its a zeiss individual 2 progressive even.. can explain more on it if you interested.

3) As of now Hoya singapore does not have 1.70 for plastic lenses, only 1.67/1.74 for your degree!

4/5) Whether it is worth it or not, I feel it highly depends on the wearer/you. Many individuals actually cannot tell the difference whether it's FF sv or just the normal SV. Even to me, I tried a few different Brand’s of sv however good or well known their brand are, I can't feel the change(partly because my power might not be as high as yours) but still I find that getting a normal lens is fine for me. By the way like what user Dane mentioned earlier, different shop might quote you different prices thus.. maybe you can ask around.. 1.67 you looking at prolly 180 onwards? Hope this helps!

Hi guys,
I'm myope and want to get a new pair of glasses.
My Rx:
(R) Sph. -7.75, Cyl. -0.75, Axis 90
(L) Sph. -6.50, Cyl. -0.75, Axis 90
I have a few questions regarding Hoya Nulux EP:

1. Is Nulux EP a free form lense? Does Hoya have better or other SV FF?

2. What measurements does it need to fit the Nulux EP? Just PD, frame dimensions or it needs more like panto,... ? I ask because I found a link on Rakuten, which offers Nulux EP 1.74 with good price ($350)

3. I understand that Hoya 1.7 lenses have better Abbe number than 1.67 or 1.74. Will it affect the lense's clarity and is it a thing I need to worry about?

4. Is SV FF worth it?

5. Any alternatives you would recommend me? And their prices too.

Thank you!:)

LinhLe

Reaction score
Thank you for taking your time to answer me.

2. Yes, please! I want to learn more.

4. So is there anyway I can experience the difference (if any) before buying the lenses?:s11:

Thank you.
Good morning!

1) yes nulux ep is a free form lens and is currently the best sv ff that Hoya has.

2)pretty subjective as I know of some cases taking just basic pd is better than adding extra info like pento, frame wrap angle, vertex distance and all.. and its a zeiss individual 2 progressive even.. can explain more on it if you interested.

3) As of now Hoya singapore does not have 1.70 for plastic lenses, only 1.67/1.74 for your degree!

4/5) Whether it is worth it or not, I feel it highly depends on the wearer/you. Many individuals actually cannot tell the difference whether it's FF sv or just the normal SV. Even to me, I tried a few different Brand’s of sv however good or well known their brand are, I can't feel the change(partly because my power might not be as high as yours) but still I find that getting a normal lens is fine for me. By the way like what user Dane mentioned earlier, different shop might quote you different prices thus.. maybe you can ask around.. 1.67 you looking at prolly 180 onwards? Hope this helps!

leongheng70

Reaction score
Hi Leongheng, most of the lenses from a particular Company will always use back the same "Successful" Design. This will allow their own customers to be able to adapt and upgrade to their own lenses. And Summit Pro is one of their most Successful lenses, they will not discontinue it. So no worries.

Yesterday i went to the optical shop, they are saying summit pro had been upgrade to something call summit pro trueform, is that right ?

wahseng

Reaction score
I got swissflex frames with crizal eyezen for $570. Is it considered expensive? 1.67 eyezen.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.