Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

MasterChief86

Reaction score
subjective i guess. depends on your constraints. a few of them might get you most of the features at a lower price... some might have added perks you may or may not need. like a dedicated ip. so, like i said, subjective bro.

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Just activated the 1 day trial for bolehvpn. Speed with the sg server is fast as expected but speed with the us server drop like crazy. What's your experiences with regards to speed?

1. Define your "fast". IMO, at the current stage for family usage, I could only assume any dl speed more than 300 mbps after connected to a VPN to be fast. However, without a VPN, a fast dl speed to majorities of the overseas' servers to be more than 100mbps.

2. Define your "drop like crazy". Otherwise, there could be no logical comparison.

In general,

A) a raw local connection to a local server's speed is able to max out what the ISP has claimed; to any other international servers' speed depends on ISPs' control over bandwidths, their routings, peak hours...etc. (note pls, even though VQ always claim that they don't control international bandwidths, what's there to control after u got to experience the already-so-slow speed.)

B) a local connection connected a local VPN server, the tunneled traffics to a local server's speed determines what is the individual ISP's opinions on throttling of dl/ul speed. Then, all other international bandwidths very much depends on the VPN server's capabilities(speed, routings...etc), and how a VPN provider conducts its services(throttle, encryption method, server load/balancing...etc).

C) assume i) your ISP is the most generous one on tunneled/encrypted/BT traffics, && ii) your VPN provider offers the best server(local/nearest to u) among the rest, u will achieve the best internet experiences both locally and internationally.

Last edited:

skarfy

Reaction score
Anyone tried ivacy? It's really cheap now with 83% discount and seems to have good features like no logs.

and if u stay on the site long enough, they have a popup to offer further 10%

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried ivacy? It's really cheap now with 83% discount and seems to have good features like no logs.

and if u stay on the site long enough, they have a popup to offer further 10%

is it really a good idea to subscribe to a VPN provider in your own country?
local authorities can straight ask for your info by going to their door step.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Hi

Anyone using CyberGhost VPN? Needs some frank answers.

I was trying the free CyberGhost for anonymous surfing during the weekdays and its ok except that I was annoyed with its long connection time.

However, for anonymous surfing, last Sat and Sun at home(day and night) it took a looooooooong time to make a connection to the free servers even on automatic selection. Eventually I cancelled it since it can't make a quick connection.

I understand that the paid version gives 5x faster surfing speed but what about its connection speed?

Anyone can comment on this? Also, any pros and cons in using CyberGhost?

Would appreciate very much so that I can make a decision as to whether it's worthwhile signing up.

Thanks a lot

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone using CyberGhost VPN? Needs some frank answers.

I was trying the free CyberGhost for anonymous surfing during the weekdays and its ok except that I was annoyed with its long connection time.

However, for anonymous surfing, last Sat and Sun at home(day and night) it took a looooooooong time to make a connection to the free servers even on automatic selection. Eventually I cancelled it since it can't make a quick connection.

I understand that the paid version gives 5x faster surfing speed but what about its connection speed?

Anyone can comment on this? Also, any pros and cons in using CyberGhost?

Would appreciate very much so that I can make a decision as to whether it's worthwhile signing up.

Thanks a lot

I am a light user of the paid version for a while and has been using the free version after my paid one had expired recently.

Connection and speed were decent; didn't experienced any lags or slowdown, regardless of paid or free. The free version requires me to be in the queue before I can be connected. Anyway, the queue is moving fast for me, just need to wait for about a minute or so before I can be connected to the service.

Also take note, I read that there is a limit per session. I can't remember the duration for each connection. So far, it has not occur to me yet since each session is about an hour for me.

Upon connected, I don't feel the speed to be very much faster/slower compared to my paid version. I can't quantify since I don't do any downloading.

I was about to sign up with a 50% discount being offered to me, but the uncertainty of the service is holding me back after I read that it was being bought over by another company.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a light user of the paid version for a while and has been using the free version after my paid one had expired recently.

Connection and speed were decent; didn't experienced any lags or slowdown, regardless of paid or free. The free version requires me to be in the queue before I can be connected. Anyway, the queue is moving fast for me, just need to wait for about a minute or so before I can be connected to the service.

Also take note, I read that there is a limit per session. I can't remember the duration for each connection. So far, it has not occur to me yet since each session is about an hour for me.

Upon connected, I don't feel the speed to be very much faster/slower compared to my paid version. I can't quantify since I don't do any downloading.

I was about to sign up with a 50% discount being offered to me, but the uncertainty of the service is holding me back after I read that it was being bought over by another company.

IMO 1 minute connection time is long

Actually, there was a complain(see below) by someone facing the problem of not able to connect to CyberGhost for no apparent reason like what I faced last weekend. It just cannot connect.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...-best-cheapest-singapore-users-3316864-2.html

One other thing for its Premium Plan for a single connection. Is it true that CG is tied to the device you installed ie if you installed CG on a laptop A then you cannot surf CG on laptop B and vice versa? I'm not talking of both connecting at the same time but individual connection.

FYI, CG does log your privacy info(stated in their privacy policy) and hardware info as well

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/cyberghost-vpn-start-logging-hardware-id.388009/

I don't think I want to subscribe to them

Thanks

Last edited:

ckjoe03

Reaction score
If you are having some ideas on setting up a company to run that service, yes I am keen on a private discussion.

Else, for your own usage, not.

Hi, suntanoi1983,

Like to hear your review on Nordvpn which seems very reasonably priced as compared to flyvpn. My main purpose is to access utube when in China, able to access Indonesia geolocked site as well as occasional access to HK tvb content....

Like to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance...

alanwade123

Reaction score
Hi, suntanoi1983,

Like to hear your review on Nordvpn which seems very reasonably priced as compared to flyvpn. My main purpose is to access utube when in China, able to access Indonesia geolocked site as well as occasional access to HK tvb content....

Although, i used NordVPN and it's good for streaming but recently i started using PureVPN to access restricted content. It works fine, the speed is awesome specially when i stream live content. You may have its trial in very low cost. Also, do not go for free trial VPNs as they earn by keeping logs of users data and has less features as explained here: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/trial-vpn/

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Although, i used NordVPN and it's good for streaming but recently i started using PureVPN to access restricted content. It works fine, the speed is awesome specially when i stream live content. You may have its trial in very low cost. Also, do not go for free trial VPNs as they earn by keeping logs of users data and has less features as explained here: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/trial-vpn/

But PureVPN logs the time that you signed in and used the service and the IP address that you connected to.

https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews/purevpn-review/

Are these good for your privacy?

Last edited:

ckjoe03

Reaction score

Thanks for the advise alanwade123. I just trialled zenvpn and is quite reasonable but with v limited access currently. Nordvpn running a 2yrs promo of 79.9usd which is rather cheap if you ask me, less than 5sgd per month. Very tempting to sign up....how does it work in China? Able to access utube or google? Is HD streaming possible from Nordvpn?
Let me know your thoughts on the setup esp router setup as I am quite a noob at VPN basically...

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Hi, suntanoi1983,

Nord vs Fly is not an apple to apple comparison.

unless u use the deep web often, I have never once recommended nordvpn to anyone. its only pro I could think of is the Tor over VPN & VPN over Tor tunneling strategy. cons? slow as hell, all other factors are not necessary to evaluate further.

fly is targeting more on outside-to-china, but not vice-versa.

from what i understand, u dont need a 2 years subscription. basically just buy 1 month or extend monthly when staying to work in China. ur connection will be the fastest with the least disturbance when u connect to the HK server from ExpressVPN, its 200 mbps plus capability is gonna max out your 100 mbps line at the mainland.

Last edited:

ckjoe03

Reaction score
Nord vs Fly is not an apple to apple comparison.

unless u use the deep web often, I have never once recommended nordvpn to anyone. its only pro I could think of is the Tor over VPN & VPN over Tor tunneling strategy. cons? slow as hell, all other factors are not necessary to evaluate further.

fly is targeting more on outside-to-china, but not vice-versa.

from what i understand, u dont need a 2 years subscription. basically just buy 1 month or extend monthly when staying to work in China. ur connection will be the fastest with the least disturbance when u connect to the HK server from ExpressVPN, its 200 mbps plus capability is gonna max out your 100 mbps line at the mainland.

Thanks for the response and explanation! it will be better if i list down my priorities in order to determine which type of VPN is suited for me...

1) Access geo-blocked Indonesia website and Apps (football reason)
2) Price
3) Able to access geo-blocked web/apps in overseas such as Starhub GO/ mytvb.com or any other China based APKs.
4) Ease of setup/UI experience etc esp regards to router config.
5) Lastly better still in China able to blocked content which you have explained above, but my travel there is infrequent. 2/3 times a year.

Sorry as i am not an expert in this area and much advise or coaching is needed.

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and explanation! it will be better if i list down my priorities in order to determine which type of VPN is suited for me...

1) Access geo-blocked Indonesia website and Apps (football reason)
2) Price
3) Able to access geo-blocked web/apps in overseas such as Starhub GO/ mytvb.com or any other China based APKs.
4) Ease of setup/UI experience etc esp regards to router config.
5) Lastly better still in China able to blocked content which you have explained above, but my travel there is infrequent. 2/3 times a year.

Sorry as i am not an expert in this area and much advise or coaching is needed.

1) Define your "geo-blocked". Only Indonesian can watch or Singapore cannot watch or which country is able to watch?
2) My philosophy is the higher the price, the better my service, and I've never trusted discounted stuffs in the current era, it's can only be a "cheapskate" with issues later. what's urs?
3) Was that referring only to Singapore to overseas connections?
4) Nowadays, it's roughly click-and-go on the windows platform, I'd rather setup everything myself at the command line, I feel safer with more assurance this way.
5) I cant understand "able to blocked content".

No one is an expert in all fields of life, that's what forums are for.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any VPN or DNS that can reliably unblock US Netflix? Not like sometimes can, sometimes cannot. Tried a few and not all 100% reliable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.