Who is getting the new iMac?

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to get one and it will be first iMac. Which configuration you guys are eyeing and why? Welcome any inputs. :)

yodajedi01

Reaction score
I'm may be getting the 27" Base model.
But before I purchase.
There are a few things I need to Know.
  • Does it still support "Target Display Mode" !!?
  • Is it worth getting the SSD over the FUSION DRIVES for normal usage.

Kopi Gao

Reaction score
Do you think got people buy iMac Pro (instead of normal iMac) just for normal web surfing, movies, music etc. ... nothing to do with graphics design, movie editing etc.?? :eek:

Reaction score
iMac updates are decent. Will prob get imac later in the year or even next.

Was hoping to get MBA but since no kaby lake, no buy.

Think opting for SSD is a must. 2017 and Apple is still offering 5400 rpm...shameful or not.

yodajedi01

Reaction score
iMac updates are decent. Will prob get imac later in the year or even next.

Was hoping to get MBA but since no kaby lake, no buy.

Think opting for SSD is a must. 2017 and Apple is still offering 5400 rpm...shameful or not.

still using 5400 rpm!!!?
If that's true jump to SSD.

I may need to go down to Apple Store Orchard for inspection.

Last edited:

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I should be getting either the 3.5GHz model + upgrade to 1TB SSD..

My 6 year old iMac has served me well, but its painfully slow and hot when exporting iMovie...

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm may be getting the 27" Base model.
But before I purchase.
There are a few things I need to Know.
  • Does it still support "Target Display Mode" !!?
  • Is it worth getting the SSD over the FUSION DRIVES for normal usage.

I am considering getting this setup also. From what I read, SSD is recommended over Fusion despite the higher cost. Not only faster, it is likely to last longer. Also can get a smaller size SSD and then extend it via the USB 3 SSD external drive.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I should be getting either the 3.5GHz model + upgrade to 1TB SSD..

My 6 year old iMac has served me well, but its painfully slow and hot when exporting iMovie...

Wow. 1 TB SSD is very ex. Any reason why you getting the mid-tier rather than the base processor? Worth paying more for the speed?

lamtw22

Reaction score
For first time buyer of 27 inch iMac, you may want to take note.

When I first moved from 21.5 to the 5k 27 inch iMac, I got plenty of neck ache and really regretted buying it. The stand is high, the base (where Apple Logo is) is thick and the screen is big. You have to "look up" most of the time and your neck becomes very tired and stiff.

Because the showroom tables are low and you are standing, you wouldn't notice it until you bring it home.

In the end, I managed to find a workaround - putting the iMac on a small Ikea glass coffee table (using children story books to "adjust" the height) behind my table so that the base is just above the table, like a floating iMac screen.

Last edited:

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For first time buyer of 27 inch iMac, you may want to take note.

When I first moved from 21.5 to the 5k 27 inch iMac, I got plenty of neck ache and really regretted buying it. The stand is high, the base (where Apple Logo is) is thick and the screen is big. You have to "look up" most of the time and your neck becomes very tired and stiff.

Because the showroom tables are low and you are standing, you wouldn't notice it until you bring it home.

In the end, I managed to find a workaround - putting the iMac on a small Ikea glass coffee table (using children story books to "adjust" the height) behind my table so that the base is just above the table, like a floating iMac screen.

Thanks for sharing! =)

crunsik

Reaction score
i am thinking of getting the iMac too. If I want to use both the macOS & windowsOS, which model should i get? Is the 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor & 8gb memory enough? Or should i get i7 and 16gb memory?

there are rumors that newer imacs are gonna be released at the end of the year, wondering if i should wait it out since its only 6 more months http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/apple-mac-pro-imac-1202022424/

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am thinking of getting the iMac too. If I want to use both the macOS & windowsOS, which model should i get? Is the 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor & 8gb memory enough? Or should i get i7 and 16gb memory?

there are rumors that newer imacs are gonna be released at the end of the year, wondering if i should wait it out since its only 6 more months http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/apple-mac-pro-imac-1202022424/

They already confirmed releasing iMac Pro end of the year, but I am quite sure they are not going to refresh the iMac again till 1-2 years later.

If you intend to use bootcamp for Windows, please note that the Fusion drive will not be useful and things will get slower. You are thinking of getting which size iMac?

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

iMac already refreshed. End of year will be the launch of iMac Pro. If you have the money to spend (Min SG$7000), you can wait for the iMac Pro to launch.

crunsik

Reaction score
iMac already refreshed. End of year will be the launch of iMac Pro. If you have the money to spend (Min SG$7000), you can wait for the iMac Pro to launch.

7k is quite crazy for a desktop. Do you know if there would be a difference if i purchase it from US directly? does the purchase of imac in SG has worldwide coverage for warranty?

They already confirmed releasing iMac Pro end of the year, but I am quite sure they are not going to refresh the iMac again till 1-2 years later.

If you intend to use bootcamp for Windows, please note that the Fusion drive will not be useful and things will get slower. You are thinking of getting which size iMac?

even if i upgrade the memory to 16gb? I was thinking probably the 21.5''. 27" is kinda big.

lamtw22

Reaction score

Lisa Gade's review below provides some answers on the processor. On the RAM, it's much cheaper to upgrade yourself. I have my 27k 5k iMac bumped up from 8GB to 24GB for much lesser than S$280 for 16GB that Apple charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK85P0m2Tck

yodajedi01

Reaction score
I am considering getting this setup also. From what I read, SSD is recommended over Fusion despite the higher cost. Not only faster, it is likely to last longer. Also can get a smaller size SSD and then extend it via the USB 3 SSD external drive.

Yea, mostly like upgrade to SSD as well.
now is the Target Display Mode.
Been reading all over the net.
some says "Yes" support TDM over thunderbolt
others say "No".
There is still no Official Statement for TDM over TB3.
I'm holding my card for now.

I till can use my hackintosh and my MacMini for the time being.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.