Official: Portal Router - High Tech router technology, move your WiFi to the Fast Lane

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suggest you set 2.4 and 5 as different ssid.

Connect your devices 2.4 and 5 to respective ssid.

Presto80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i am using this just as an ap. how is the wifi signal performance as compared to asus or ubiq and will it be an overkill and any functionality that will be dropped?

Thanx

squarecube

Reaction score
Hello Apparatus

For now, you may find Portal at Courts, Harvey Norman, Sprint-Cass, Lazada and fellow retailers in Sim Lim Square (To name a few: Fuwell, Cybermind, PC Themes, DynaCore), whichever is to your convenience!

In time to come (Very soon), we will be branching out Portal's availability island-wide

Would you happen to know which Courts/Harvey Norman stores, please?

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i am using this just as an ap. how is the wifi signal performance as compared to asus or ubiq and will it be an overkill and any functionality that will be dropped?

Thanx

I saw comparisons on the web which showed the wifi performance being very good in clean rf environment. In congested wifi environments (our normal world) it is bound to kick ass.

All the wifi features still work even if it is just configured as an AP.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would you happen to know which Courts/Harvey Norman stores, please?

Harvey Norman

1) Millenia Walk

2) Suntec City

3) Jurong Point*

4) Parkway Parade

Courts*

1) Megastore

2) Causeway Point

3) Somerset*

4) Jurong Point

5) Ang Mo Kio

6) Bukit Timah

7) Lot 1

8) Jem

9) Toa Payoh

10) Tampines Mall

11) Nex serangoon

12) Clementi*

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ha..ha..just got one set from Courts@Causeway Point

Have to get one lah. Ask Michael Tan so many questions don't kau kwan pai seh leh

Teo boh, Michael Tan?

Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ha..ha..just got one set from Courts@Causeway Point

Have to get one lah. Ask Michael Tan so many questions don't kau kwan pai seh leh

Teo boh, Michael Tan?

How much is it, can sic price? Thanks

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Hi Michael Tan

I just started up the Portal and connected my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to it. Problem

MS SP4 runs on WiFi ac and I'm only standing at about 1m away from the router. It auto selects the 2.4GHz. I thought it should select the 5GHz at such a near distance for WiFi ac, no?

My Samsung Note 4 smartphone at 1m away from Portal connects to 5GHz selected by me

Thanks

Last edited:

Ghostrider333

Reaction score
Hi Michael Tan

I just started up the Portal and connected my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to it. Two(2) problems

1) Portal assigns different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz. I would like to change the SSIDs. How to do that?

2) MS SP4 runs on WiFi ac and I'm only standing at about 1m away from the router. It auto selects the 2.4GHz. I thought it should select the 5GHz at such a near distance for WiFi ac, no? Is it possible to assign the device to either 2.4 or 5GHz? Or Portal auto-assigns them?

3) Same for my Samsung Note 4. Only connects to 2.4GHz at 1m away from router. How to make it connect to 5GHz?

Thanks

Type in "myportalwifi.com" into a browser to access the GUI. Configure your router there. As an access point, configure static ip for the portal access point from the router side.

1) As above

2) Are you sure it is capable of 5Ghz? If so, separate the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and force the usage of 5Ghz.

3) Ditto as 2)

As a new user of the portal as an access point, it is indeed fast on the 5Ghz but no guest SSID access :(.

Last edited:

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firmware updated?

It would bandsteer to 5 immediately.

Anyway for avoidance of doubt just assign 2.4 different ssid and don't bother connecting to 2.4, just connect to the 5 ssid. Keep things simple and fast for the computers.

Hi Michael Tan

I just started up the Portal and connected my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to it. Problems

1) MS SP4 runs on WiFi ac and I'm only standing at about 1m away from the router. It auto selects the 2.4GHz. I thought it should select the 5GHz at such a near distance for WiFi ac, no? Is it possible to assign the device to either 2.4 or 5GHz? Or Portal auto-assigns them?

2) Same for my Samsung Note 4. Only connects to 2.4GHz at 1m away from router. How to make it connect to 5GHz?

Thanks

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Firmware updated?

It would bandsteer to 5 immediately.

Anyway for avoidance of doubt just assign 2.4 different ssid and don't bother connecting to 2.4, just connect to the 5 ssid. Keep things simple and fast for the computers.

I checked the firmware initially and it said the latest at v1.0. Now it said I have the latest version. No version number displayed.

I just realized something. I managed to change the SSIDs for the main WiFi but the SSID for the 5GHz is not being broadcast onto my MS SP3/SP4 tablest. They can only see the 2.4GHz SSID. The 5GHz SSID can be seen by my Samsung smartphone whereby I can select it.

FYI, my WiFi adapter cards can have selection of Auto, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I selected 5GHz but there's no connection since the 5GHz SSID is not being broadcast onto the tablets

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked the firmware initially and it said the latest at v1.0. Now it said I have the latest version. No version number displayed.

I just realized something. I managed to change the SSIDs for the main WiFi but the SSID for the 5GHz is not being broadcast onto my MS SP3/SP4 tablest. They can only see the 2.4GHz SSID. The 5GHz SSID can be seen by my Samsung smartphone whereby I can select it.

FYI, my WiFi adapter cards can have selection of Auto, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I selected 5GHz but there's no connection since the 5GHz SSID is not being broadcast onto the tablets

What channels of 5ghz are you using? I recall due to region limitations. Not all devices can see the entire 5ghz spectrum. You try changing 5ghz to lower channels you see can detect BOH.

Ghostrider333

Reaction score

Sounds like those devices are not capable of using the "fast lanes" of 5Ghz.

Ghostrider333

Reaction score
What channels of 5ghz are you using? I recall due to region limitations. Not all devices can see the entire 5ghz spectrum. You try changing 5ghz to lower channels you see can detect BOH.

It is auto steering and not selectable. :s22: That is probably the bad points of this type of router (too simple GUI). Oops, seems like the selection is available only in the app on iOS or android.

Last edited:

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try dfs compatibility modes. Start with the most conservative. Please realise, all Asus wireless stick can't do dfs (disabled)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

There's no channel selection for 5GHz....only 2.4GHz has it

:s8:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

It is auto steering and not selectable. :s22: That is probably the bad points of this type of router (too simple GUI). Oops, seems like the selection is available only in router mode and not bridge mode.

I'm only using it as a router. Where is the selection?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.