Ipoh my home town :)

joeey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope ur wife is ok.. always beware when in not familiar surroundings.. i got followed at near concubine lane in march this year, then realised and went into a bakery shop, the chinese shopkeeper ask me, was i being followed?.. seems a trend there

We were strolling on the main road near the Concubine lanes when that happened. The incident took place right in front of Plan B cafe.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
Hope ur wife is ok.. always beware when in not familiar surroundings.. i got followed at near concubine lane in march this year, then realised and went into a bakery shop, the chinese shopkeeper ask me, was i being followed?.. seems a trend there

I guess in such country like Malaysia we can only swallow it when being robbed?

maybe avoid going Ipoh old town?

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think the whole of Malayisa have this problem, maybe penang will be better.

joeey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No point avoiding... Jus be careful and beware of surroundings. When not right, dun proceed or go into more crowded areas. Ask for help if needed though.. i manage to go into the bakery shop and the shopkeeper sense i was not any usual customer.. so he asked me, then after he told me many cases of robbery, snatch bag happen around his shop area.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
It was evening around dinner time. Been places and never had a personal encounter with crime. There is no time to let one's guard down. Not that the ethnicity of the culprit mattered, he was probably Chinese. I am hopeful that he found my toddler's cutlery and spare clothes in the bag which swelled his eyes with tears and turned him around. Just saying.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
These guys should rob the bank or ultra rich not being a coward targeting poor tourists

tongkualongan

Reaction score
oh no , this is bad ,hope beanstalk is ok, please practice vigilance , I think all places outside of Singapore has this issue,

Hence I have written a post about being vigilance in Malaysia .

8 safety tips in Malaysia

Also today I was at oldtown Ipoh and now they have police stationed there . So I snapped a pic .

So , like any other place , please practise vigilance .

Raythetour
Friend's first, Tourist second.

tongkualongan

Reaction score
tongkualongan, Malaysia police boleh?

Malaysia Police Boleh! :) actually in high profile cases , malaysia police, surprisingly is good, foiling terrorist plan, capturing Mas Selamat .. capturing dangerous criminals.

but when it comes to politically linked cases, they close one eye :s13:

flowerhamster

Banned
Reaction score
well, actually quite a lot.

Cowan Street
The famous lou wong bean sprout chicken that every foreign tourist go is actually over rated, we locals go to the one at cowan street ,which doesn't have a fix schedule of opening. Waiting time for that one is quite long between 10-30 mins so bring a book or play with FB

Jalan Jubilee
This yong tau foo place is very famous for the locals. The Beef tendon balls, and beef balls are hand made, one of the very very few left in Ipoh that still practices this. It used to be in menglembu but now it is at Jalan Jubilee, city center. There is a queue system there so be prepared to wait for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Jalan Ali Pitchay
Also known as "Small Genting" 小云顶 , there is a night kai si ho fun ( chicken shredded noodle ) that is run by 2 ladies, who has been cooking at this stall for 30 years or so. They are the "anchor tenant" and there are about 10 other food stalls there you can sample the food ( Satay, lok lok, bbq fish, hokkien noodle etc) . Overall not bad. There also used to be a Chinese Indian couple running a indian food stall which is very popular and tasty. However, they disappear 2 months ago, I am still tracing where they are now. Good food.

Jalan Sultan Ekram (Dinner + Supper)
Also known as "Tong Sui Kai" 糖水街 , or "Wai Sik Kai" 贪吃街. One whole row of food stalls, easily 50 of them in a row . I like the beef noodles towards the end of the row with a model cow head hanging at the stall front. He has been operating the stall for 30 years shifting to diff places and for the last 10 years was at tong sui kai. The cha keow teau stall, wanton noodles stall and the desserts stall are favourites as well.

Hoong Tho @ Jalan Bandar Timah
This place has been here since the beginning of time :) . Also a local favourite with very localised dishes (Sang har mee / wat tan hor etc ). Again prepared to wait :) Non air conditioned sit down style with pre war ambience. The Wok Taste is there.

Pusing Public Restaurant @ Jalan Horley
The only restaurant in my thread here that is Air conditioned. It is Tzi Char style where you can get delicacy dishes like abalone etc. The steamed big prawns is super good and also the stewed lamb ( Have to order 1 day in advance ) This is the pricier restaurant but then if you convert SGD to myr, it is very value for money for the quality of food. Again this place is packed and recommended to book in advance.

Wooley Food City @ Canning Gardens

Massive food court with a wide variety of food. From dry curry noodles to cha keow teau to rojak . There have all sorts here, for variety you can visit this place. Finding parking will be a challenge :)

Yik Foong Makeshift food stalls @ Jalan Laxamana
(only Supper)
This place only starts to get busy 10pm till late. So if you go pub hopping or clubbing and need some food afterwards, you can come here. The hokkien prawn noodles are superb and of course, prepare to wait :)

Snow Flake Beer Yun Wah @ Jalan Bijeh Timah (only Supper)
Well this is not so much of the food but the beer. The beer is famous not because of the brand of the beer , but because the method of storing and pouring of the beer. It is semi frozen and when you pour out the beer , thus creating snow flakes like texture and make it very easy to drink. The beers are just normal Tiger, Carlsberg or Asahi. You have to try it to believe it. You can order finger food and some noodles to go with the beer. Open air near the road side with some breeze.

My Mum Home cook food

Of course last but not least , my mum hakka dishes at home. The yong tau foo is all hand made with fresh fish and minced pork and salted fish. The drunken chicken noodles with home made wine and many more :) now I miss home lol

Well, I am sure there are few more that I cant think of at the moment, will write more soon :)

the above food places are all local and either open air or non air conditioned in the building with very affordable prices.
The only Exception is Pusing Public restaurant that is air conditioned and pricier.

Happy Dining!

Raythetour
Friend First, Tourist 2nd

Thanks , this is helpful, planning to go Ipoh to savour the food

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Thanks , this is helpful, planning to go Ipoh to savour the food

Try to stick to the new town, I am told, which is the side of the river with Ipoh Parade. The old town area near the train station is a lot quieter especially after sunset. Jalan Sultan Ekram or Tong Sui Kai" 糖水街 is a possibility any time of the day. Park right along the street next to SRJK (C) Sam Tet 三德华小.

Snow Flake Beer Yun Wah @ Jalan Bijeh Timah
This is adjacent to concubine lane in the old town. Very quiet area, if not for this establishment.

Restoran Foh San @ Jalan Leong Sin Nam
I had dim sum here. Well-established, and widely reviewed. The street has many Chinese associations and other dim sum options.

Lost World of Tambun
Plan in advance if you want to visit. I did not manage to visit the attraction. There is 1 ticket to the entire park so it makes sense to start your visit first thing in the morning. Yet the place only opens at 11am (weekdays, 10 on weekends), which does not give one much time to try the water park or amusement rides without being exposed to the fierce rays of the sun. Note that the less costly entry is possible from 6pm if you are keen on the hot springs and spa.

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Always practice caution. We may say it is safe, but once any unfortunate things happen. Dun blame us :p

ipohcarrental

Reaction score
5 main types of crime that you may encounter in Malaysia and how to protect yourself:

1. Snatch theft - (ladies) carry handbag towards the inner side of the road, be wary of motorcyclist pairs
2. Robbery - Stay away from ulu places, walk in pairs or groups if possible
3. Swindler - Don't listen to their story, simply ask them to go find police for help
4. Pickpocket - Avoid carrying your valuables conspicuously, be alertful and hold on to them in crowded areas
5. Car snatch theft - if there are only 1 or 2 persons in the car, the motorcylist pair may attempt to open your door or break your window glass to snatch your stuff. Always lock your car center locking and put your bags and valuables inside the boot of the car or at harder to reach areas such as the middle of the car.

Alternatively, consider chartering a car with a chauffeur to drive you around Ipoh. We can advise you on safety precautions and help to look after your belongings as you enjoy your tour. PM me for more details.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.