HD800s VS HD800

John010

Reaction score
Finally after a long break, I'm thinking of buying a new headphone for my office rig. I'm quite decided on the HD800s as I heard them recently at my friend's place and I thought they sounded really spacious and airy. I'm surprised because I didn't like the HD800 with the default cables and now I'm not sure whether my old age is affecting my hearing or the HD800s is just more mellow and smooth on the treble with a better bottom end.

Any kind folks here tried or own both? Would like to know you thoughts on this? And the amp/DAC you are pairing with. Appreciated.

InnocentBlood

Reaction score
the HD800s are open back - are you really sure you want to use this in the office? won't your co-workers mind?

having said that, i am using the HD800s with WA8 Eclipse and Chord DAVE. I really like the pairing on both DACs. it works well on the WA22 as well. i find the HD800s to be very revealing and it's for the times when you want to listen to your music for serious and critical listening. these cans are not for laid back & easy listening, in my personal opinion. mine are with stock cables. hope to upgrade them to the moon audio silver dragons v3 someday.

John010

Reaction score
the HD800s are open back - are you really sure you want to use this in the office? won't your co-workers mind?

having said that, i am using the HD800s with WA8 Eclipse and Chord DAVE. I really like the pairing on both DACs. it works well on the WA22 as well. i find the HD800s to be very revealing and it's for the times when you want to listen to your music for serious and critical listening. these cans are not for laid back & easy listening, in my personal opinion. mine are with stock cables. hope to upgrade them to the moon audio silver dragons v3 someday.

That is some serious equipment you have there... open back works for me as it will be in our office. I don't have much table space so other than my computer, I'm thinking of a simple 1 box dac and amp.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally after a long break, I'm thinking of buying a new headphone for my office rig. I'm quite decided on the HD800s as I heard them recently at my friend's place and I thought they sounded really spacious and airy. I'm surprised because I didn't like the HD800 with the default cables and now I'm not sure whether my old age is affecting my hearing or the HD800s is just more mellow and smooth on the treble with a better bottom end.

Any kind folks here tried or own both? Would like to know you thoughts on this? And the amp/DAC you are pairing with. Appreciated.

Your ears are fine :D

800s does have friendlier highs and slightly more low end bloom.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.