Traffic Offence in Aust

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
got a speeding ticket for 800AUD :eek:..
so what happened is if just don't bother about it??

To get a speeding fine of $800, you have to be at least 30km/h above the speed limit. Most states would suspend your licence on the spot as well if stopped by the police. Having gone over the limit that much, I wouldn't even try appealing.

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can write under the VIC traffic website. Though they stated only 1 time appeal, likely rejected. Submitted a second time with sincere admission and apologies, will get waived.

Written 3 myself in the same trip, 58 in 50kmph $168 Grampians road, one 87 on 80, $189 westbound highway leading into Melbourne, and a third parking overtime at Blondi beach main road $140. All 3 waived after 2nd submissions.

That trip in 2014 damn unlucky, actually with a fourth, mistake on the Sydney part, for crossing Sydney Bridge without toll, though I already registered vehicle# with credit card. 7 other trips to Australia cleansheets.

Last edited:

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
To get a speeding fine of $800, you have to be at least 30km/h above the speed limit. Most states would suspend your licence on the spot as well if stopped by the police. Having gone over the limit that much, I wouldn't even try appealing.

No harm trying..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
No harm trying..

If you're <10km/h over, then yes, no harm trying, but I can't see them waiving it off for >30km/h. Most likely result is that you're wasting time and if anything, bringing further unwanted attention onto yourself. At this level of speeding, some states would automatically issue a licence suspension notice. They can also bypass the fine notice, and issue a court order asking you to go to court - where you have to put up a defense and you can't even simply accept the claim and pay the fine.

If any AU based person receives a notice for speeding >30km/h, I would normally advise them to get a lawyer. Generally speaking, there are 2 forms of defense available - honest and reasonable mistake (e.g. cruise control/speedo errors, and you'll need to take the car to independent experts to verify the claim. And misreading speed limit signs do not count), or challenging the alleged speed (prove that speed cameras/radars are inaccurate - again, a costly exercise).

I'm guessing that the fine is from Perth/WA. I don't know the regulations there very well, but I wouldn't do anything where they might decide to issue you a court notice. Speeding by that much is a very serious offence in Australia, and trying to appeal or fight it would likely have a very ugly result. It's very different from speeding by <10km/h where you can just write a couple of letters/emails and the matter/fine disappears.

tinky123

Reaction score
i gotten 3 speeding ticket while in melbourne in 2014 while driving along Geelong and towards great ocean road. these 3 speeding tickets were all above 10km/hr limit and total amount to be 900AUD. initally when i first received the speeding fines i ignored it, until they issued me a red letter saying that a court order would be issued if i didnt submit the payment.

as such, i wrote a letter of appeal VIC police dept (snail mail, not email. can't find email address anywhere) and no news ever since then.

is the fine waived? or is it that my letter did not reach them at all and they forgot about sending me the court order?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try coming to melbourne and see if customs stop you, then you know if the fine was waived or not..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
They probably figured out that they can't drag you to court if you're overseas. Of course, if you ever turn up here again, and for some reason that you have to deal with the Victoria police, you might get into quite a bit of trouble.

UY_Scuti

Reaction score
i would have glady paid up i had commited the offence knowingly..
It so happen that stretch of road in Geelong is dam bloody dark.. and not well lighted up.. neither were there clear warning of speed limits....

if i were travelling 80++kmph in KPE, i would gladly pay up the speeding fine cus it is so dam clear to ALL motorist that the speed limit is 70Kmph.

the offence notice typically would have photos of the car and maybe even your face on it. so will be hard to argue. The Aussies are very strict abt traffic laws but they also dont anyhow issue summons. Given its dark and not well lighted up, these would be factors against u for speeding.

my advice is jsut save the hassle and pay la..AUD124 is very cheap liao

ps. i kena aud200 for speeding in WA.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
Try coming to melbourne and see if customs stop you, then you know if the fine was waived or not..

even if immigration doesn't stop, car rental companies may stop you from renting their cars cause you kena blacklisted liao. who wants to rent a car to someone who evades fine?

my friend chiong 130km/h in VIC highway kena fine around $400. Aus has strict traffic rules. The traffic fine 3 times more expensive than sg

Last edited:

lufu

Master Member
Reaction score
Got speeding fine in Perth couple of years ago by the famous SGT Zhao. Apparently a few other friends who went Perth got it too and letter shows the same Asian officer name.

Doing 63km on 60km road. $150. Honestly just pay up unless you decided not to step into Australia. Appeal for waiver is a Waste of time. They won’t listen unless maybe you prove that someone is about to die if you don’t speed.

Received letter to appear in court after ignoring the 3rd notice. In the end wrote in to appeal and admit fault. That works. They roll back the fine to $150 and cancel court order.

Resolved After much time and hassle. $150 poorer

flashover

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was driving slightly above the speed limit when i noticed an officer in front with a speeding gun.

I slowed down and he did not stop me. In this instance, will i receive a speeding fine?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends how much over? If you're renting, and an extra admin fee is being charged, usually that's for a traffic offense.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
I was driving slightly above the speed limit when i noticed an officer in front with a speeding gun.

I slowed down and he did not stop me. In this instance, will i receive a speeding fine?

Most newish cars in Australia have a few km/h tolerances on their speedo (due to the design rule), so you might be just fine.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check your CC statement, if you were charged extra $60 by the rental co., most likely a fine coming your way

lufu

Master Member
Reaction score

They won’t stop you. It goes to car rental and notice issued to you

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.