Any good will making lawyers?

JK1688

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you guys know of any good lawyers for will making?

Thanks in advance.

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Do you intend to craft a complex will ? Otherwise, any law firms should be good enough; there's no point paying extra to the "branded ones". Making a will is entry level legal work leh.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yah lah, when you receive a copy of the will, make sure its signed off by 2 independent witnesses who are not any of the named beneficiaries :s13::s13:

sg_investor

Reaction score
How do I do CPF nomination and make a will when I don't have next-of-kin in Singapore?
My parents and brothers in Malaysia.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do I do CPF nomination and make a will when I don't have next-of-kin in Singapore?

I think dont need to be singaporean. Besy way is to give CPF a call.

sg_investor

Reaction score
I think dont need to be singaporean. Besy way is to give CPF a call.

Thank you for your reply. I saw the form allows passport of nominee.
I have another question regarding income tax. I am sure a foreigner may need to pay income tax in case of distribution upon my demise. If I split that into smaller lots for parents and brothers, will there be any tax advantage?

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I saw the form allows passport of nominee.
I have another question regarding income tax. I am sure a foreigner may need to pay income tax in case of distribution upon my demise. If I split that into smaller lots for parents and brothers, will there be any tax advantage?

S laws is to tax your estate as in whole, first; meaning pay all S taxes.
Next will to pay all creditors, etc.
Whatever balance is stated in according to your will, if any.
If no will, S laws on this matter apply; such as 50% parents, etc...

As i am not a lawyer, do consult a real lawyer for more latest updates.

Regards.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

You can DIY, as there are books and articles on How to Write a Will.

Most lawyers may asked you some personal questions and if they feel there may have problems in the end of your life, they will not accept.
Current issue is an example.

For more info, do visit this link; copy & paste, as i have no permission yet.

mlaw.gov.sg/eservices/pto/welcome.xhtml

This is a safe house for Wills to be kept, read "Will Record" for more info.

Regards.
Note: I am no a lawyer but had done some research on this matter years ago.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You need to have some valid &or legal documents &or references, such as NRIC, when you visit any CPF locations.
May not necessary to have the original copy.

You can do it there and then, as CPF officials are also be your witnesses.
Should you decide later to make changes, you can do it anytime.

As i had done these before, without any problems.

Do note that CPF without nomination will be by default to parents, for single.
Upon your marriage, this default will change to your spouse, no matter who you had nominated earlier.
For latest info do visit cpf.gov.sg

Nomination is not compulsory as there is Laws on this matter.

Regards.

sg_investor

Reaction score
Thank you eric3743 for the kind replies.

As for the S Tax, does it mean my CPF becomes income and subject to income tax according to the rates for foreigner or me as local?
I remember there is no estate tax any more after 2008.

Last edited:

Bigoya

Reaction score
We have an upcoming seminar on will writing end of June.
Anyone like to find out more?
0qs6WpU.jpg

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cost can vary from 200 (freelance type) to 600 (law firms tying up with banks) for basic will.

but some banks are having promos, you buy insurance from them and they cover the cost of the will writing

those lawyers are more thorough in asking questions to ensure you cover all the various contingency plans

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The man with vision can also cause his will to tear the family apart.

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
CPF is not income and so won't attract any taxes. (on the context of death distribution*)

Upon your death, your remaining CPF will be paid directly to your nominee(s) - no legal creditors such as banks can touch those monies or go after your nominees. If you didn't make a CPF nomination, all your monies will be transferred to the Govt Public Trustees and will be subjected to clearing all your debts first.

Writing a simple-all-encompassing Will is very very easy. I have self-written mine and sighted by 2 friends when i pen my signature. You need a lawyer if you want to distribute different types of assets to different people. I don't mind selling my Will template for $20. :crazy:

Last edited:

sg_investor

Reaction score
Dexboi as for the untaxability part i am confused now.
If i migrate to australia and ditch my malaysia citizenship will i pay income tax for the cpf which can get above the 7% bands.

I remember cpf website says accrued tax but not specific.

CPF is not income and so won't attract any taxes.

Upon your death, your remaining CPF will be paid directly to your nominee(s) - no legal creditors such as banks can touch those monies or go after your nominees. If you didn't make a CPF nomination, all your monies will be transferred to the Govt Public Trustees and will be subjected to clearing all your debts first.

Writing a simple-all-encompassing Will is very very easy. I have self-written mine and sighted by 2 friends when i pen my signature. You need a lawyer if you want to distribute different types of assets to different people. I don't mind selling my Will template for $20. :crazy:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dexboi as for the untaxability part i am confused now.
If i migrate to australia and ditch my malaysia citizenship will i pay income tax for the cpf which can get above the 7% bands.

I remember cpf website says accrued tax but not specific.

In sg, certainly there is no tax on the realisation or distribution of your CPF.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any one got lawyers who can prepare a will that excludes all other assets (or remain silent) in the will except a specific asset to a beneficiary?

My concern is whether the court will issue probate for such a will as I am not so concerned about contest of the will from interested parties.

Presumably other assets would follow intestate succession.

Bigoya

Reaction score
Any one got lawyers who can prepare a will that excludes all other assets (or remain silent) in the will except a specific asset to a beneficiary?

My concern is whether the court will issue probate for such a will as I am not so concerned about contest of the will from interested parties.

Presumably other assets would follow intestate succession.

isn't that quite common?
Silent assets are called "residual estate".
Otherwise you'd be writing a will that could possibly break this record:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_will_and_testament_of_Frederica_Evelyn_Stilwell_Cook

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.