Do u use water filter at home?

tripleg

Banned
Reaction score
PS. Do note the health risks of drinking lots of demineralized water over a prolonged period esp with a mediocre diet......plus slightly increased leaching of micronutrients from food if such water is used when preparing/cooking food.

There are various contradicting reports on this. Some say there is no problem drinking water void of minerals as we get most of our minerals from meat, vegetables and fruits. The 8 cups per day water intake has also been debunked making it hard for us to get significant minerals just by drinking water.

The reason I want RO water filter is that it can filter our flouride which has known to cause cancer, brain damage etc. Especially for young kids. Fluoride is also very much present in toothpaste and if you read the warnings of some toothpaste at the back, it will usually say something like if you swallowed more than used for brushing, seek immediate help and keep out of reach of children. To me, fluoride is quite scary..

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks. Actually those reverse osmosis ones looks heavy duty but is affordable comparatively. It is also highly effective in terms of cleaning. I saw 2 members in this forum who had bought this, I think one from US and the other from China so was wondering does it work with Singapore low water pressure which is lower than most 1st world countries..

Sorta lah........ you are right that PUB's lower range is close to 20 PSI, it's a bit low for some flats. You might want to open your riser and see if you have a pressure gauge there?

For my HDB place, it's 30 PSI at just outside in my riser......

i12tUC7.jpg

Some other pax is about 40 PSI (3 bar)
water-pressure-test-toilet-concealed-pipe-leak-plumber-singapore-6-250x250.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are various contradicting reports on this. Some say there is no problem drinking water void of minerals as we get most of our minerals from meat, vegetables and fruits. The 8 cups per day water intake has also been debunked making it hard for us to get significant minerals just by drinking water.

The reason I want RO water filter is that it can filter our flouride which has known to cause cancer, brain damage etc. Especially for young kids. Fluoride is also very much present in toothpaste and if you read the warnings of some toothpaste at the back, it will usually say something like if you swallowed more than used for brushing, seek immediate help and keep out of reach of children. To me, fluoride is quite scary..

You are not wrong to say that also, hence earlier on i did say it really depends on the end user's situation. But it is a WHO endorsed article, so i would have to say that there might have a degree of truth to it...that's why i shared that link just to present both sides of the coin.

If you are someone who really takes care of yourself and the family, there should be minimal impact.

Seriously if you are drinking the majority of ultra low TDS water during meals, ie for a working couple/schooling kids that'd be during breakfast and dinner.......then seriously the water is already going to be mixed with food in the stomach. It really makes no diff if the water TDS is 1ppm or 100ppm. :D

Anyway for my family, wife and kids all supplementarily eat sardines and walnuts (both superfoods) nearly daily....in fact no walnuts = daily. And a lot of other stuff from papaya/bananas mainly to other fruits, self cook eggs.......all to add to the hawker centre stuff. Luckily we have a good cai png store here which cooks pretty ok stuff, spinach, brocolli, bean sprouts long beans are good (ie not too unhealthy stuff).

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don't worry too much about fluoride. For young kids from age 0.7-6 yrs, just use a non-fluroridated toothpaste. I am a parent of 2 young kids (younger is 3, elder is 8), so i know how they do eat toothpastes.

We use this (we get from CK dept store in Chinatown, B1). It's $11, but i think redmark now got offer at $6, but need delivery fee or it's $50 delivery fee waived. Or you can get from iherb some fluoride toothpastes.
ART_TP_Side_w_Tube_1024x1024.jpg

Eating toothpaste could be quite jialuck for them. Our water is 0.7ppm fluoride and toothpaste is 1450ppm. That's a factor of 2000X.
So eating just 1g of toothpaste (about pea size) = drinking 2 litres of water. Not a big deal even for a small kid, but do this repeatedly in addition to the daily water consumed. Not good.

Here's the data for our dental fluorsis for kids.

It's only an issue when the kids are ~ 1-6 years old when the main teeth are mineralising and in formation. I have very mild flourosis myself, so does my sister. But not a big aesthetical issue......and seriously from the electric toothbrush thread that i do frequent here in HWZ as well, i can deduce that some folks don't really heck care about their oral health/appearances too. So.......different strokes for different folks also? :D

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8833510
Prevalence of dental fluorosis in children in Singapore.

Prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis was assessed in 1739 Singaporean children aged 9, 12 and 16 yr in three different ethnic groups. All subjects had resided since birth in Singapore, which has a tropical climate. The water supply was fluoridated in 1957 at a level of 0.7 ppm. In this sample, mouth prevalence was 82.6%, tooth prevalence was 66.9%, the community fluorosis index was at 1.96; 9.2% of children had severe fluorosis and 26.2% had moderate fluorosis. There were no significant gender or racial differences. Prevalences were higher than those reported in most other studies. Due to differences in indices used and methodology, comparisons could not be made directly with other studies.

Austin-City-Council-Fluoridation-June2015-Slide-5.jpg

Dental-Fluorosis-Scarring-For-Life-Limeback-Blog-COC-COF.jpg

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For tripleg, you can see the Xiaomi RO flowrate here. Fo note that this system does not need you to have any storage tank.

@ 6.30 min mark

tripleg

Banned
Reaction score
Sorta lah........ you are right that PUB's lower range is close to 20 PSI, it's a bit low for some flats. You might want to open your riser and see if you have a pressure gauge there?

For my HDB place, it's 30 PSI at just outside in my riser......

Some other pax is about 40 PSI (3 bar)

oh cool! you have the gauge. Mine doesnt. But if the average is 30 psi, it is higher than I expected. Anyway the below image should be the psi for the gas. Gas pipe usually green colour.

tripleg

Banned
Reaction score
For tripleg, you can see the Xiaomi RO flowrate here. Fo note that this system does not need you to have any storage tank.

@ 6.30 min mark

yea I have heard of this, but seems to lack reviews with regards to their effectiveness for cleaning water. It looks good though and doesnt take up much space comparatively. Those big RO water filter under sink from US is highly effective and does not take up any counter top space. The waste water is also drained out to the pipe underneath. Xiao mi one waste water will flow out from a tube that is placed into the sink on top. The only thing preventing me from buying is that I am worried about the water pressure. I just realised Singapore water pressure is so low. Thas said, a non electrical pump can be attached to the filter that will increase the psi slightly perhaps to just above 40 psi.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh cool! you have the gauge. Mine doesnt. But if the average is 30 psi, it is higher than I expected. Anyway the below image should be the psi for the gas. Gas pipe usually green colour.

Oh, green is it gas? I thought it's yellow.

Anyway, it shd be water, i was just doing a google ba. :D
Here : http://www.mrplumber.sg/water-pressure-test-concealed-pipe-leak-toilet-plumber-singapore/
URM4K13.jpg

For the top image, that one is really in my riser just outside my unit, took the pressure gauge pic. 30 PSI is the true tap's open-flow pressure, ie i turn on my unit's tap and it's 30 PSI.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway tripleg, just FYI......this 10" filter cartridge on Amazon is Amazon free ship eligible. You can buy the 10" filter housings on Taobao or Amazon (TB is of course cheaper, but there are also slightly more expensive and higher quality housings, materials shd be safe......PP Polypropylene)

See if you are interested. Run another 1 micron sediment filter, can get from TB.....shiok liao. And won't run into low TDS "issue". Use the tap diverter that you can get from Taobao. 2 PE 1/4 inch 2分 hoses to run to the housing.

If you want ultrafiltration, can get UF cartridges from TB. Safe lah.....no worries.
1 micron sediment -> 0.01 microns UF -> Amazon KDF85/activated alumina/catalytic AC filter.

Will take care of lead as well.
Only "issue", it does not have NSF/WQA certification.

It is not the normal activated carbon, but catalytic activated carbon, so it's designed to be much more efficient for chloramines and also would last much longer.
ie the youtube video done by BRS/Bulk Reef Supplies on previous page, they tested one 0.6 micron normal AC solid carbon block and it lasted only ~ 150 gallons @ 0.25 gpm flowrate for chloramines (total chlorine). Remember, free chlorine = chlorine. Total chlorine includes chloramines, but usually at our tap end it means majority chloramines coz we don't have much chlorine left coz all reacted liao, not stable.

As you know, over at our tap end, we have very low levels of chlorine (coz already reacted with the organics in the pipes liao), but the chloramines are still up there.......coz it's designed that way to be much more stable.

The PUB water quality report states 3ppm monochloramine on avg.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOKJDLI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

71vAdGipQRL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

tripleg

Banned
Reaction score
In terms of fluoride, I have read the articles below and there are others which concurs as well. But I understand most papers will say low level of fluoride is not harmful. The articles below do cite some studies as well.

www_infowars.com/5-facts-about-fluoride-you-urgently-need-to-know/

www_infowars.com/the-fluoride-wars-loving-cancer-loving-lower-iq/

Not enough posts to insert exact links. lol.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In terms of fluoride, I have read the articles below and there are others which concurs as well. But I understand most papers will say low level of fluoride is not harmful. The articles below do cite some studies as well.

www_infowars.com/5-facts-about-fluoride-you-urgently-need-to-know/

www_infowars.com/the-fluoride-wars-loving-cancer-loving-lower-iq/

Not enough posts to insert exact links. lol.

I know infowars....actually they are a bit...well, "stirry", so i reserve my comments.

But thanks for sharing, will "bedtime" read later. :D

tripleg

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway tripleg, just FYI......this 10" filter cartridge on Amazon is Amazon free ship eligible. You can buy the 10" filter housings on Taobao or Amazon (TB is of course cheaper, but there are also slightly more expensive and higher quality housings, materials shd be safe......PP Polypropylene)

See if you are interested. Run another 1 micron sediment filter, can get from TB.....shiok liao. And won't run into low TDS "issue". Use the tap diverter that you can get from Taobao. 2 PE 1/4 inch 2分 hoses to run to the housing.

If you want ultrafiltration, can get UF cartridges from TB. Safe lah.....no worries.
1 micron sediment -> 0.01 microns UF -> Amazon KDF85/activated alumina/catalytic AC filter.

Will take care of lead as well.
Only "issue", it does not have NSF/WQA certification.

It is not the normal activated carbon, but catalytic activated carbon, so it's designed to be much more efficient for chloramines and also would last much longer.
ie the youtube video done by BRS/Bulk Reef Supplies on previous page, they tested one 0.6 micron normal AC solid carbon block and it lasted only ~ 150 gallons @ 0.25 gpm flowrate for chloramines (total chlorine). Remember, free chlorine = chlorine. Total chlorine includes chloramines, but usually at our tap end it means majority chloramines coz we don't have much chlorine left coz all reacted liao, not stable.

As you know, over at our tap end, we have very low levels of chlorine (coz already reacted with the organics in the pipes liao), but the chloramines are still up there.......coz it's designed that way to be much more stable.

The PUB water quality report states 3ppm monochloramine on avg.

Yup this is considered a good and affordable product for its price, around 90USD for the filtration system which can house 1 cartridge. Compared to a normal RO with 5 cartridges, the effectiveness of cleaning the water (in terms of % and certain contaminants) is lesser which is understandable. If you get a not bad full RO water filter, it will cost around 200USD which I feel is worth it. It is under sink and waste water drained into water pipe directly. Again, it is the water pressure preventing me from doing it. Haha. If really cant, this is a pretty good option.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup this is considered a good and affordable product for its price, around 90USD for the filtration system which can house 1 cartridge. Compared to a normal RO with 5 cartridges, the effectiveness of cleaning the water (in terms of % and certain contaminants) is lesser which is understandable. If you get a not bad full RO water filter, it will cost around 200USD which I feel is worth it. It is under sink and waste water drained into water pipe directly. Again, it is the water pressure preventing me from doing it. Haha. If really cant, this is a pretty good option.

Actually less than 90 USD if one has lower budget and don't mind TB. The basic materials used are safe lah.....Polypropylene, Polyethylene. No BPA, BPS, BFS and all that. Not a painted pdt also. Same thing goes to the MIC air purifiers.

For those who are interested, can use this. They sell the accessories too, like hoses, PP 1 or 5 micron sediment filters to pre-filter so that the life of the main filter is extended if you are aiming for a 2-housing filter. You can get from other sellers as well coz there are other variations of PP sediment filters like variable pore size filters that changes from 10 microns to 1 microns as the water flows through the filter.

Actually if you are aiming to boil the water to 100 deg before drinking so that any bacteria is killed, it is very safe to "push" the KDF/GACC/AA filter to 12 months (manufacturer's capacity is 500 gallons 6mths).

TIP
Amazon has CITISG promo code till 30 June, 15 USD disc. :)
If the item is for PRIME members, just sign up for PRIME foc for 30 days, after buying it remember to cancel your membership so that it's zero charge

It cannot be checked out directly via the official Taobao forwarders due to keywords restriction. However just go to the official Taobao thread here and ask how to buy stuff via 3rd party forwarders like Ezbuy/Camilize.com etc.
They have buyforme services, very easy to checkout.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...taobao-buying-guide-part-8-a-5536932-143.html

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.491.1bBMEe&id=19174164993

TB29vZQqpXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg_400x400.jpg

TB2L0U9qpXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg_400x400.jpg

TB2Ua.DdVXXXXcCXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg

I'm not really into RO hence i can't offer any in-depth advices. There probably are others here with in-depth knowledge on RO but they are not seeing this thread, yet.

I'll see if i can dig out anything regarding the water pressure needed for RO systems.

Grampa

Banned
Reaction score
Good info !!

Actually less than 90 USD if one has lower budget and don't mind TB. The basic materials used are safe lah.....Polypropylene, Polyethylene. No BPA, BPS, BFS and all that. Not a painted pdt also. Same thing goes to the MIC air purifiers.

For those who are interested, can use this. They sell the accessories too, like hoses, PP 1 or 5 micron sediment filters to pre-filter so that the life of the main filter is extended if you are aiming for a 2-housing filter. You can get from other sellers as well coz there are other variations of PP sediment filters like variable pore size filters that changes from 10 microns to 1 microns as the water flows through the filter.

Actually if you are aiming to boil the water to 100 deg before drinking so that any bacteria is killed, it is very safe to "push" the KDF/GACC/AA filter to 12 months (manufacturer's capacity is 500 gallons 6mths).

TIP
Amazon has CITISG promo code till 30 June, 15 USD disc. :)
If the item is for PRIME members, just sign up for PRIME foc for 30 days, after buying it remember to cancel your membership so that it's zero charge

It cannot be checked out directly via the official Taobao forwarders due to keywords restriction. However just go to the official Taobao thread here and ask how to buy stuff via 3rd party forwarders like Ezbuy/Camilize.com etc.
They have buyforme services, very easy to checkout.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...taobao-buying-guide-part-8-a-5536932-143.html

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.491.1bBMEe&id=19174164993

TB29vZQqpXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg_400x400.jpg

TB2L0U9qpXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg_400x400.jpg

TB2Ua.DdVXXXXcCXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!901249389.jpg

I'm not really into RO hence i can't offer any in-depth advices. There probably are others here with in-depth knowledge on RO but they are not seeing this thread, yet.

I'll see if i can dig out anything regarding the water pressure needed for RO systems.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tripleg, let me breakdown the charges. Actually can really try first to see if it works for you, coz not only is it much cheaper than RO, it is also less intrusive, much less difficult to install (DIY) probably needing a hole to be drilled into the countertop/sink and less lehceh to run/replace cartridges, less recurrent running costs.

Though the Xiaomi RO filter is a much easier option as it mounts to the faucet.

The CITISG USD15 discount is only applicable for USD 125 purchases though, forgot to add. But actually the shipping cost is just 9.92usd for the Home Master cartridge via Amazon, if you are aiming to just get 1 first to try.

Taobao filter housings ~ $20 shipping included via 3rd party forwarder.

You may also want to do another type of filter housing, the one with input and output both on the tap faucet. The filter housing can then be located on say on a "ledge" that is above the sink. Or you mount it on the wall or something.....many options.

The hole is 2 分 (1/4 inch) or 4 分 (1/2inch) There are suitable adapter sizes being sold by the seller as well. The metal faucet adapters take 1/4 inch 2分 hoses. So do your own design/homework.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.323.DaEQJj&id=41209541438

TB2zmaed9BjpuFjy1XdXXaooVXa_!!202695593.jpg

Supposedly "higher end better quality" filter housing by the same seller.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c-s.w4002-15515016679.40.XRIazt&id=547438157002

TB25eoNlypnpuFjSZFIXXXh2VXa_!!70098155.jpg

TB2G5E.lt4opuFjSZFLXXX8mXXa_!!70098155.jpg

Faucet hole size adapters, if you need them. There are other variants, search for them (let me know if anybody needs help for their specific sizes coz some of those "atas" ones got funny sizes) But typically is 19mm, 21.5mm and 24mm internal thread. External tread on the faucet is 22mm on mine, which is what the adapters have. So direct mount.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.4.xVFPuu&id=524568456019

TB2R4pkcYlmpuFjSZFlXXbdQXXa_!!2724459146.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good info !!

Actually there are many stuff on Taobao that you can DIY with. Just need quite a fair bit of time/effort to sniff them out. Also buying them is not that easy....luckily nowadays 3rd party forwarders are pretty good (not talking about EZBuy, which isn't that good).

If the Taobao official forwarders like 4PX, Simplypost cannot ship it over, i personally use camilize.com, the buyforme svc is FOC now. Easy.

And also one need to have a bit of trust on its "safety" and quality. It's an understandable concern. Just don't go for the bottom quality cheapo stuff, you'd be fine.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh BTW if it isn't obvious, let me say it here.

The solid carbon blocks on Taobao are basically different grades of CTO filters - Chlorine Taste Odour filters.

They don't really filter Chloramine well, probably like at most 100 litres of chloramine capacity @ slow 1 litre per min flowrate. (Chlorine would easily be a few thousand litres). Coz they are not catalytic activated carbon.

They definitely would not do lead or other heavy metals. Forget about that.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.