EZLink or NETS Flashpay with credit cards

wealth_farmer

Reaction score
ATU has always been immediate for me. The only caveat is that low value top-up trigger event has to be on public transport, then will trigger top-up. Paying with insufficient value at normal retailers won't trigger topup.

I'm using ATU with BOC Family Card which gives 5% cashback on first four topups of the month. It's a nett gain even with the $0.50 topup fee.

I thought CC topup transactions on GTM would be excluded transactions by most CCs' T&C? I could be wrong.

Thanks. But I understand ATU is not immediate, hence there are times where the credits are not available immediately.

If we were to utilize CC for topping up via GTM, which card will is recommended?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. But I understand ATU is not immediate, hence there are times where the credits are not available immediately.

If we were to utilize CC for topping up via GTM, which card will is recommended?

Nets flashpay ATU occur immediately if there is insufficient fund when taking public transport, ERP or CEPAS enabled carpark. Restriction is min 4 days between ATU on the same nets flashpay card.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just registered to activate the Nets Flashpay on my UOB direct Debit card...

hopefully it will be activated successfully in 2 days time.

Mun-chen

Reaction score
ATU has always been immediate for me. The only caveat is that low value top-up trigger event has to be on public transport, then will trigger top-up. Paying with insufficient value at normal retailers won't trigger topup.

I'm using ATU with BOC Family Card which gives 5% cashback on first four topups of the month. It's a nett gain even with the $0.50 topup fee.

I thought CC topup transactions on GTM would be excluded transactions by most CCs' T&C? I could be wrong.

Thanks, I have the same thought that many CC transaction on GTM would be excluded but would like to know if anyone has experience of tapping on CC benefit for such top up at GTM instead.

silverbomb

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have the same thought that many CC transaction on GTM would be excluded but would like to know if anyone has experience of tapping on CC benefit for such top up at GTM instead.

good luck getting an ans for this. we all learnt the hard way.

cowfart

Reaction score

Because public transport is generally discretionary/un-avoidable spending and most sane people aren't incentivised to take more public transport than required due to rebates/miles etc., CC's marketing departments will expect almost 0% returns from such rebates (unlike say, rebates for dining). So of cause they identify such spend and exclude it - money saved is money earned. (Citibank SMRT cc is an exception)

The great thing about bureaucracy is that the marketing departments, IT/technical departments and legal departments don't always communicate properly :s13:

• Where IT doesn't get the memo from Marketing, the computer system doesn't flag up such transactions for exclusion from rebates and your unexpected and undeserved rebates will just land in your account like manna to the Jews. This tends to last for a few months until "social media influencers" publish lengthy guides on this... then Marketing sends IT a sternly worded email and it quickly stops working without notice.
  • Where Legal doesn't get the memo from Marketing, it doesn't appear in the T&C as an exclusion and a stern call from you to the CSO reminding them the meaning of "contractual breach" and what Singapore's courts think of "contra proferentem" doctrines would almost certainly get it manually credited - ONCE - before the next revised T&C will almost inevitably be published permanently putting and end to this avenue (for this specific card)

Current status? There are no known SG based cards for which IT and Legal hasn't gotten the memo - the last one (DBS Debit paywave) which paid out 5% for GTM top-ups was just fixed last month - the loophole for open for over half a year.

But whenever a new entrant comes into play, be sure to look out for either IT/Legal "missing the memo" :s13::s13::s13: It is not as uncommon as you expect - and enjoy while they last!

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

Tapping on at GTM machine - AFAIK nothing.

Online by using Ezlink app on Android - there is still at least HSBC Rev card limited with $200/mo with 2m/$ spent. I have not checked cashback cards.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just received the activation code for Nets Flashpay but I am having some issues with my card & the Android Nets Flashpay app to activate the Auto top up.

I removed my phone casing After I switched on the NFC and I placed my card on the back of my phone. the NFC is near the rear camera.

And automatically, the Nets Flashpay app launches... It will take about 1 sec to read my card the next error pops up:
CARD NOT READ! Please remove the phone case and / or use compatible device the latest firmware.

Below are some info about my phone and my UOB debit card.

Phone Samsung A5
Model: SM-A500G
Android Security path level: 2017-03-01
Baseband version: A500GXXU1BQC1 (Latest)

Card: UOB Direct Debit Visa (Just received this card one week ago)

anyone can help here?

arigatoast

Reaction score
i just received the activation code for Nets Flashpay but I am having some issues with my card & the Android Nets Flashpay app to activate the Auto top up.

I removed my phone casing After I switched on the NFC and I placed my card on the back of my phone. the NFC is near the rear camera.

And automatically, the Nets Flashpay app launches... It will take about 1 sec to read my card the next error pops up:
CARD NOT READ! Please remove the phone case and / or use compatible device the latest firmware.

Phone Samsung A5

anyone can help here?

y dont u visit a transitlink office and ask the officer to help to activate?. just past your activation code sms to him. faster this way rather than solving your phone tech issues.:)

Calander

Reaction score

Phone Samsung A5

anyone can help here?

10. What items am I required to bring for the Auto Top-Up activation at TransitLink Ticket Office?

Please bring along the following items:

a. Your NETS FlashPay Card registered for Auto Top-Up
b. Activation code

https://www.nets.com.sg/support/faqs/faq-nets-flashpay

have u even checked on the FAQ?

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score

Meaning at ERP gantry or carpark gantry will it trigger auto topup?

I remember ezlink ezreload dun trigger at eps carpark. :(

naro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Meaning at ERP gantry or carpark gantry will it trigger auto topup?

I remember ezlink ezreload dun trigger at eps carpark. :(

Ez-reload atu at EPS car park varies. Some do, some dont.

Ez-reload atu at ERP gantry is confirmed.

idwish

Reaction score
Some carpark dont even accept netflash card in IU....e.g. Changi airport terminal 1 cp....and many others old ones....Always need to switch to cashcard

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
y dont u visit a transitlink office and ask the officer to help to activate?. just past your activation code sms to him. faster this way rather than solving your phone tech issues.:)

10. What items am I required to bring for the Auto Top-Up activation at TransitLink Ticket Office?

Please bring along the following items:

a. Your NETS FlashPay Card registered for Auto Top-Up
b. Activation code

https://www.nets.com.sg/support/faqs/faq-nets-flashpay

have u even checked on the FAQ?

well...
I made a trip to the Transitlink Ticket Office at Tanjong Pagar to activate the ATU and here's what happened
CUR BAL $0.00​
Card status - Enabled​
ATU Status - Disabled​

INVALID ACC
DECLINED

The staff advised me to call NETS directly... so I called NETS office and the CSO just asked me to change my UOB Debit card...

My answer back to the CSO was:
"Hi Miss, I just received and activated this card like one week ago. ATM no problem. AXS, SAM no problem. Online Visa payment no problem.

and now you're asking me to change?! Could you help me to check"

Anyone here has this issue as well with your new card?

Lastly... there is no FAQ addressing the issue I am facing:
"Card not Read! Please remove phone case and/or use compatible device with latest firmware"

Editing:
Adding on, according to NETS CSO, the CAN number is correct, the 16-digit number on my UOB card is correct and my personal information is correct.

In fact for some of you users information, this is not the first time I am facing this issue. Last year when IMAGINE AMEX ended the ATU service, I tried to switch to NETS flashpay using my UOB direct VISA debit card since this is the next best option besides FEVO...

For a good two months, I went through a lot of trouble trying to activate the NETS Flashpay service...
i even replaced my UOB debit card three times just because the NETS CSO said that the SMART chip on my Debit card could be faulty... In the end, I gave up and just use my IMAGINE AMEX card as a regular EZ-link card until it expires in Nov 2017 this year...

If a user here went through similar problems and managed to activate his/her Nets Flashpay successfully, I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience with me... If you are not comfortable to comment here... I am one PM away...

TYAVMAIA

Last edited:

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update:

NETS technical staff helped me to reset the link between my debit card and the ez-link for my NETS flashpay.

Now the ATU is activated! Finally...

Gonna start using today

Note: The NETS CSO also commented that if I get a new replacement, it will be good to wait about 1 day after I received the ATU activation code...then I proceed to activate the new card

Last edited:

fun4life

Reaction score
Sorry, too long not doing.

Now can we still do EzLink online topup?

Checking around EzLink website but can't find the link.

Calander

Reaction score
Sorry, too long not doing.

Now can we still do EzLink online topup?

Checking around EzLink website but can't find the link.

u mean via website? the answer is No.

u may consider using your phone app to perform the transaction, or initiate the ATU function.

kkcheng77

Reaction score
Hey ppl

Any cards nowadays that gives rebates/rewards on buses and Mrt rides or Ezreload or FP auto topup?
Just cancelled BOC family card and currently using POSB everyday card.

Looking around to see any better cards out there.

Any good deal to share?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey ppl

Any cards nowadays that gives rebates/rewards on buses and Mrt rides or Ezreload or FP auto topup?
Just cancelled BOC family card and currently using POSB everyday card.

Looking around to see any better cards out there.

Any good deal to share?

Why cancel boc family? It is best for ATU currently.

Posb everyday good for the free rides on friday.

Last edited:

kkcheng77

Reaction score
Why cancel boc family? It is best for ATU currently.

Posb everyday good for the free rides on friday.

Yeah,, Thing is, I closed boc smartsaver and moved to UOB one. So I could not hit the 500 spend as I am doing that for UOB one. Next month onward UOB will not count Ez reload as eligible spend for bonus interest. So I am now not tied up and have many option to choose my next card.

Did POSB have Friday Free rides? Never knew abt it..Still on?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.